The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Paying tuition fees?

I'm starting as a fresher this year, and I've been going through the maze that is the StA website - it feels like I've walked into a drawing by M.C.Escher. :rolleyes: One of my problems (I've got about twenty of those) is paying for tuition and accommodation. I'm from the EU, which means the SAAS can pay my tuition fees. And indeed, I sent off for them and got a letter which confirms but gives me no instructions; just to bring the letter with me to prove that they'll be paying.

So. When I log in on the website to try to pay for my accommodation, I get the tuition fees as well. Which I don't have to pay. No mention of exemption, loans, SAAS, nuffin. :confused: Am I supposed to pay online and then the SAAS will pay me? Or is there a mysterious link somewhere explaining the whole thing? :eek3:
Reply 1
they sent me a stroppy letter today too..
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Hi I'm starting as a fresher too and was wondering the same sort of thing, I'm from Northern Ireland which means I DO have to pay tuition fees but I'm doing it through the student loan company which had already sent me a letter to say they would be paying the university directly in two installments which didn't meet the university's stated deadlines. I wondered why it didn't mention student loans on the website, so i emailed finance at st andrews for an answer. They said 'if you have received notification from the student loan company, you do not need to do anything further, we will invoice the Student Loans company when you have registered as a student'. So I assume its the same for you, just make sure to bring that letter when you register in Freshers week and St Andrews will invoice the SAAS. I don't think you pay them online yourself.
If you want more information I would advise you to email [email protected], they're really helpful!
Reply 3
I saw this thread so double checked my account thing to see if payment was due for anything but mine says 'fees and accommodation: 0'?!
Is it supposed to be showing up already as due?
If you have a letter from SAAS already you don't have to pay any tuition fees to the University. Everything is taken care of directly between the Uni and SAAS. As KezzaN said, just take the letter to the Old Union Reception when you arrive at St Andrews during Fresher's week, or send them a copy of your letter by email. Last year I never even had to give them the letter since I was told by the Uni that my tuition fees had already been paid by SAAS before I even got to St Andrews. You only have to pay the University when you forget to apply to SAAS in which case you must pay yourself in order to matriculate and if you apply later during the year they will usually pay the Uni and the Uni will give you your money back. This is what happened to me in my 1st year since I only found out about SAAS close to the end of the 1st semester.

In terms of payment dates... I don't know if they are supposed to show as due on the website, or if they only show after the date has passed. What I do know is that you must have paid both your tuition fees and accommodation fees, or setup some sort of payment plan with the Uni, in order to matriculate. Since you must matriculate by the end of freshers week I guess the limit date for payment would be around the end of that week (24th September if i'm not mistaken).
Reply 5
Hey there,
how exactly do I "set up payment" with the uni? I read there was something like an agreement you have to make in order to make your payment but how does that work?
Reply 6
Paulina92
Hey there,
how exactly do I "set up payment" with the uni? I read there was something like an agreement you have to make in order to make your payment but how does that work?

if you have your student number, goto the university website > current students > money matters > then on the right hand side there is an option "Online Payment of fees". You do it through there.
Reply 7
Thanks a lot!

Latest

Trending

Trending