The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Superman_Jr
Hi, I have an appointment to see a dermatologist to get Roaccutane in late September. Question is, after you have finished the course did the spots come back? And how long has it been since you finished it? I do have oily skin which sucks, I mean I go out with my friends for a few hours then when I come home my face is as oily as hell.

My dad went to the beach recently to get some seawater so I hope that will make my skin slightly better.

Been off it 8 months mate. Skin still completely fine. I was on a course for 7 months with 70 mg daily dose which i think went upto 80mg. My skins improved immediately. People were like wtf?It stops your skin being oily so you dont get any spots except maybe one or two from stress.
Reply 41
The benzyl peroxide takes 4-6 weeks to work, at least that's what it says on the "instructions".

I had acne and it didn't bother me but it seemed to bother everyone else like my family who kept going "Your face looks awful!".
Reply 42
And all these products from Lush will only treat the surface problems you know. You wana get at the root issue. Trust me OP give Lush a month's chance then just go to docs for roaccutane. It didnt take me long at all to get referred either. Although all the doctor's I've been to over the yrs have always given me conflicting advice about Roaccutane. Some of them plain lie and make it sound terrible. One female doc said it makes your skin unbearably tight and red which is a complete lie.
Reply 43
andi_star
The benzyl peroxide takes 4-6 weeks to work, at least that's what it says on the "instructions".

I had acne and it didn't bother me but it seemed to bother everyone else like my family who kept going "Your face looks awful!".

yeah well, i've used it for about 3/4 months... :p:
well 2 weeks ago my mum had a "go" at me, and brought my face into the argument, how s*** would that make anyone feel... :frown:
How did you let it not bother you?
Reply 44
Lamps08
And all these products from Lush will only treat the surface problems you know. You wana get at the root issue. Trust me OP give Lush a month's chance then just go to docs for roaccutane. It didnt take me long at all to get referred either. Although all the doctor's I've been to over the yrs have always given me conflicting advice about Roaccutane. Some of them plain lie and make it sound terrible. One female doc said it makes your skin unbearably tight and red which is a complete lie.

Okay, thank you for your advice :smile:
Do you think it's because it costs too much, especially with referrals etc. so they are hesitant to prescribe it?
Reply 45
andi_star

It's because you don't look at your face do you(except in the mirror occassionally) I just looked at some old pics of myself and my face was a right state lol. They shoud do a Ronsil-esque advert for Roaccutane, so ppl know how good it is, and those truly in need can take it.
I used to have some serious acne and tried nearly every over the counter creams and gels, face washes etc even GP prescribed antibbiotics none of them worked. It was only when I stopped caring about it and stopped touching my face and excercising that completly cleared my face. So I suggest that you don't get too depressed it will go away eventually.
I don't know if this will work for you but it certainly does for me, is get some warm/hot water and crush some fresh ginger in it and drink it everyday that ahs kept my face clear from even the little spots I used to get.
Reply 47
Anonymous
Okay, thank you for your advice :smile:
Do you think it's because it costs too much, especially with referrals etc. so they are hesitant to prescribe it?

No I don't think it's the cost, though that may play a small part. I think it's ignorance really. They don't need to tell you, so they don't basically. I'm telling you though, if you have oily skin you can't go wrong with it. All it does is shrink your oil glands and thats how it works.
You will get dryish skin, plus incredibly dry lips- You have to use lip balm every 10 mins lol.

The dermatologist i saw was really easy going- obviously because she prescribes Roaccutane for a living. She just kept saying take it for one more month, another month, even when i only had like one tiny spot underneath my chin lol. Although even she screwed up my dates pretty badly, so can't trust noone really :p:
Reply 48
ChillaxKarl
I used to have some serious acne and tried nearly every over the counter creams and gels, face washes etc even GP prescribed antibbiotics none of them worked. It was only when I stopped caring about it and stopped touching my face and excercising that completly cleared my face. So I suggest that you don't get too depressed it will go away eventually.
I don't know if this will work for you but it certainly does for me, is get some warm/hot water and crush some fresh ginger in it and drink it everyday that ahs kept my face clear from even the little spots I used to get.

So just to clarify, what makes you think drinking fresh ginger has cleared your skin lol. Or was it the exercise and not touching your face? :s-smilie:
Hey, I used to be in your position too! My skin and back used to be so bad =/ But I used a product called Zineryt which my doctor prescribed for me:
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002852.html (if you want to take a look)
It smells absolutely awful when you have it on but it sure did work for me and people are now surprised when I do break out in spots. I don't use it anymore I used it for around 6 months and it is a gradual process but for me it worked =) I would avoid roaccutane, that is an extreme medicine and it completely deprives your skin of its natural oils so you should constantly moisturise but I know that roaccutane does work. Do whatever you think is best for you =) And don't be ashamed of yourself, alot of us have been there too =) Hugs x
The contraceptive pill, Dianette, cleared my spots up. I'm now on Yasmin which has similar properties to help combat spots. Could be worth a try!
Reply 51
I wouldnt be so quick to jump to Roaccutane as it strips layers of your skin and thats how it works. You'll have seriously dry skin which will be REALLY hard to cover, much worse than acne. Anyway, when I sent you those photos of my skin the OP said that her skin wasn't nearly as bad as mine was and mine was no where near bad enough to go through the process of Roaccutane.

If your face looks like this:

Then fair enough.

But if it looks like this:

Then just try and live with it as find a cleanser that helps keeping it down. There is absolutely no point in taking medicine with such drastic side effects. And for the OP these are SOME of the side effects:

"Very common (affect more than 1 in 10 people)

* Dry skin (causing inflammation, peeling, itching, increased skin fragility - see warning section above).
* Dry, inflamed and cracked lips.
* Dry eyes (causing eye irritation, conjunctivitis or inflammation of the eyelids - see warning section above).
* Pain in the muscles and joints.
* Anaemia.
* Changes in the numbers of blood cells called platelets in the blood.
* Increased level of fats called triglycerides in the blood.
* Increased liver enzymes."
Reply 52
hvh
I wouldnt be so quick to jump to Roaccutane as it strips layers of your skin and thats how it works. You'll have seriously dry skin which will be REALLY hard to cover, much worse than acne. Anyway, when I sent you those photos of my skin the OP said that her skin wasn't nearly as bad as mine was and mine was no where near bad enough to go through the process of Roaccutane.

If your face looks like this:

Then fair enough.

But if it looks like this:

Then just try and live with it as find a cleanser that helps keeping it down. There is absolutely no point in taking medicine with such drastic side effects. And for the OP these are SOME of the side effects:

"Very common (affect more than 1 in 10 people)

* Dry skin (causing inflammation, peeling, itching, increased skin fragility - see warning section above).
* Dry, inflamed and cracked lips.
* Dry eyes (causing eye irritation, conjunctivitis or inflammation of the eyelids - see warning section above).
* Pain in the muscles and joints.
* Anaemia.
* Changes in the numbers of blood cells called platelets in the blood.
* Increased level of fats called triglycerides in the blood.
* Increased liver enzymes."

yeh but when you're young you can take literally anything. If you are healthy I would just take roaccutane. Btw my face was nothing like the bad pic above lol- Mine was like a mix between the two. It was just really oily- not cystric but think i was told it could turn that way.

I do admit though that my skin feels somewhat thinner around my cheeks. It just kinda sinks in around my mouth area. Infact if you feel my face is literally all bone really. If i suck in I can make a really good goldfish mouth :yep: I can't smile at all now but then again I have amazing skin so I don't care :biggrin:

Edit: Won't all your skin just build back up again after roaccutane. I personally don't even know for a fact if my skin has broken down, but it certainly feels like it has around my face though I still prefer how it looks now tbh, and it's hardly causing me any problems. I guess I will probably wrinkle really early but that's about it.
Lamps08
So just to clarify, what makes you think drinking fresh ginger has cleared your skin lol. Or was it the exercise and not touching your face? :s-smilie:

Well I think not touching my face really helped alot so to restrict the bacterial load on my face, but Im a medic and I've been researching about ginger for some time and its possible use in diabetes but what I've read in many other papers is that it has amazing anti-inflammatory properties so that property of ginger could reduce the redness and size of any potential spots that are coming. Also some researchers say that ginger could be involved in regulating hormone levels. Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 54
ChillaxKarl
Well I think not touching my face really helped alot so to restrict the bacterial load on my face, but Im a medic and I've been researching about ginger for some time and its possible use in diabetes but what I've read in many other papers is that it has amazing anti-inflammatory properties so that property of ginger could reduce the redness and size of any potential spots that are coming. Also some researchers say that ginger could be involved in regulating hormone levels. Hope this helped :smile:

Fair enough- but it seems there's a million of these various anti-inflammatory wonder substances. I.just don't buy it to be honest. I like to get a job done 100%- that's why i used Roaccutane :yep:
Reply 55
i used to have a few whiteheads on my chin from the past year, till about march. I've gone through a course of oxytetracycline for about 6 months, omega 3 capsules, centrum multi-vitamin tablets and i use 'herbalism' every morning and night and before bed i dab abit of tea tree oil. Since then its all been good, its just that i still bore the scars -_-
Anonymous
Yes I have been to the doctors..

I got given a 3 month course of antibiotics, it's been a month and it's still as s*** as it was before :frown:
How long until my spots improve!?!?
I want to go out in the sun, i want to go swimming, i just want to enjoy myself, and i feel i can't because of how i look :mad:

Friends have parties coming up, and i so want to go, but i just hate the way i look, i cringe when people look at me (weird i know )
I want to wear nice dresses/tops, but i get spots on my shoulders/back as well.

Seriously, why me... neither of my parents ever had acne/spots

Ok i realise i'm not really asking anything here, but how can i make myself feel better? I just feel sooo s*** a the moment :frown:

p.s make up can only hide so much...

Okay, I'm going to suggest something completely different here OP, rather than giving you advice on what medication to take.
It's called MSM powder, and imho it definitely works wonders for the skin. The plus side being is that it's all natural, so it's entirely fine to take it with whatever medications you're currently taking.
Reply 57
WildBerrySpirit
Okay, I'm going to suggest something completely different here OP, rather than giving you advice on what medication to take.
It's called MSM powder, and imho it definitely works wonders for the skin. The plus side being is that it's all natural, so it's entirely fine to take it with whatever medications you're currently taking.

MSM is another one of these things that are suppossedly anti-inflammatory.
Anonymous
Thanks for you reply

But 2 more months is such a long time! Especially as i go back to college in 1, and i love going (lol) but i just hate having to go in...
My friends understand that it gets to me, and we do have nice nights in :smile: but its just now that its summer, there's so much more going on!
If you dont mind me asking, how bad was yours/what did you take/ how long did it take to clear up :o:

In the grand scheme of things though 2 months is nothing, that time will fly by!

My acne was pretty bad, I'd be getting it for years without any let up. I'd tried many different topical and oral antibiotics, Retin-A, Dianette etc and nothing worked. Because I'm very pale I was scarring quite badly/noticeably as I'd consecutively get spots in the same areas, everything was very angry and red and purple.

I went to a dermatologist who would have prescribed me Roaccutane but that wasn't something I wanted to put into my body. He then recommended I do a course of N-Lite laser therapy, microdermabrasion and light chemical peels to improve my skin. I'd say 6 months after I started with that there was a massive improvement. Now my skin is 100% clear, really don't get any breakouts and you'd never know I had problems with acne. The treatment only needs to be repeated very occasionally now, I haven't done anything to my skin for the best part of a year at present.
Lamps08
Roaccuatne is brutal, but it's amazing. All I know is that it saved my skin, and i been off it nearly 8 months. I would try all those lush products but then if u really want clear skin go on roaccutane at a time when u can handle feeling down a bit.

It's amazing if it works for you and if you can take it :yep:

Latest