The Student Room Group

I hate my skin :(

Yes I have been to the doctors..

I got given a 3 month course of antibiotics, it's been a month and it's still as s*** as it was before :frown:
How long until my spots improve!?!?
I want to go out in the sun, i want to go swimming, i just want to enjoy myself, and i feel i can't because of how i look :mad:

Friends have parties coming up, and i so want to go, but i just hate the way i look, i cringe when people look at me (weird i know )
I want to wear nice dresses/tops, but i get spots on my shoulders/back as well.

Seriously, why me... neither of my parents ever had acne/spots

Ok i realise i'm not really asking anything here, but how can i make myself feel better? I just feel sooo s*** a the moment :frown:

p.s make up can only hide so much...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
It could be that the antibiotics just won't work for you, after the 3 months are up if you still see no improvement go back to your GP and hopefully they can prescribe you a stronger treatment or refer you on to a dermatologist.

Sadly there is no quick and easy fix for acne, as I well know from personal experience. Took me a long time to get the clear skin I have now but it was certainly worth all the bad days and drama. I know I was bothered by my acne way more than other people ever were. Maybe you should just try and see if you can go out and enjoy yourself a little bit, I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think. If you don't want to go out maybe invite close friends round for a night in, might provide a welcome distraction from your problems right now and you can feel secure in not being judged at the same time.
Reply 3
NatalieMT
It could be that the antibiotics just won't work for you, after the 3 months are up if you still see no improvement go back to your GP and hopefully they can prescribe you a stronger treatment or refer you on to a dermatologist.

Sadly there is no quick and easy fix for acne, as I well know from personal experience. Took me a long time to get the clear skin I have now but it was certainly worth all the bad days and drama. I know I was bothered by my acne way more than other people ever were. Maybe you should just try and see if you can go out and enjoy yourself a little bit, I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think. If you don't want to go out maybe invite close friends round for a night in, might provide a welcome distraction from your problems right now and you can feel secure in not being judged at the same time.

Thanks for you reply

But 2 more months is such a long time! Especially as i go back to college in 1, and i love going (lol) but i just hate having to go in...
My friends understand that it gets to me, and we do have nice nights in :smile: but its just now that its summer, there's so much more going on!
If you dont mind me asking, how bad was yours/what did you take/ how long did it take to clear up :o:
Reply 4
Have you tried Benzyl peroxide?
Reply 5
Organ
Have you tried Benzyl peroxide?

Yeah i have, and i'm using it whilst on the antibiotics as well :/ thanks for the suggestion though
Reply 6
Anonymous
Yeah i have, and i'm using it whilst on the antibiotics as well :/ thanks for the suggestion though

That's okay :smile: http://www.acne.org/regimen.html I'm trying that, I know what you mean about spots keeping you indoors a bit :frown:
:frown: I know it feels awful, but it won't last forever. Most people experience serious acne at some point (including me), so hopefully people won't judge.
Reply 8
If it does get worse, at least you can count on laser treatment :nurse: im just saying.
Reply 9
Anonymous

I got given a 3 month course of antibiotics, it's been a month and it's still as s*** as it was before :frown:
I want to go out in the sun, i want to go swimming, i just want to enjoy myself, and i feel i can't because of how i look :mad:

Friends have parties coming up, and i so want to go, but i just hate the way i look, i cringe when people look at me (weird i know )

Ok i realise i'm not really asking anything here, but how can i make myself feel better? I just feel sooo s*** a the moment :frown:

Just hang in there. Drink water and try not to care too much. My face used to be horrendous. I was using antibiotics and facewash and still I had school kids follow me around saying 'shouldn't you use clearasal' It will get better.

Everyone is different so its difficult to offer good advice, the standard, drink water, avoid fizzy drinks and chocolate,

I found that eventually my mum saw how bad it was making me feel and took me to boots and got the full set of clinique. ITs expensive (although boy does it last) and it helped me clear up but also make my skin look better even though there are spots. I then recently found out neutrogena works for me like a dream.

whenever you're not out avoid make up and when you do wear make up, wear stuff thats speficially for spotty skin - good coverage but designed for spots.

All I can do is give you support. I just to try and find the tiny parts of my face without a spot or scar on and I couldn't but now (4 years later) I at most have a couple of spots. Also go out, f*ck it, everyone has imperfections, but its soceities perception that spots are bad. they are, ultimately, just spots. not good, not bad, just a fact that you'll have for a couple of years and then will go...
Reply 10
Organ
That's okay :smile: http://www.acne.org/regimen.html I'm trying that, I know what you mean about spots keeping you indoors a bit :frown:

Oh im doing something similar to that, i've even moved up to 5% benzyl peroxide :lol:
Please go the doctors and ask to be referred to a dermatologist at your local hospital.. they will be able to prescribe Roaccutane and it's INCREDIBLE! It's amazing and cleared up everything. However... there are some horrific side effects.. too many to go into on here but if you can put up with it/happy to take the drug the effects are incredible in most people. Best of luck
Reply 12
Smile_Please
Please go the doctors and ask to be referred to a dermatologist at your local hospital.. they will be able to prescribe Roaccutane and it's INCREDIBLE! It's amazing and cleared up everything. However... there are some horrific side effects.. too many to go into on here but if you can put up with it/happy to take the drug the effects are incredible in most people. Best of luck

Don't rush into Roaccutane. The guy I know who is on it has to see a Psychiatrist (because of the risk of clinical depression) and has side effects like chapped lips, also your not meant to drink when on it, once he went out drinking and had to be admitted to hospital as a result!
Reply 13
dilan121
If it does get worse, at least you can count on laser treatment :nurse: im just saying.

cool, but isn't that AFTER your acne has cleared up, and you want to get rid of scars?.....
Reply 14
Smile_Please

Organ

I don't think my skin bad enough to that extreme, but it is bad enough to bother me (if that makes sense) . The side effects really would worry me though... and i think i have to finish the 3 month prescription first, before my doctor can do anything else :/ But obviously it is an option, even if its a last resort
Reply 15
riotgrrrl
Just hang in there. Drink water and try not to care too much. My face used to be horrendous. I was using antibiotics and facewash and still I had school kids follow me around saying 'shouldn't you use clearasal' It will get better.

Everyone is different so its difficult to offer good advice, the standard, drink water, avoid fizzy drinks and chocolate,

I found that eventually my mum saw how bad it was making me feel and took me to boots and got the full set of clinique. ITs expensive (although boy does it last) and it helped me clear up but also make my skin look better even though there are spots. I then recently found out neutrogena works for me like a dream.

whenever you're not out avoid make up and when you do wear make up, wear stuff thats speficially for spotty skin - good coverage but designed for spots.

All I can do is give you support. I just to try and find the tiny parts of my face without a spot or scar on and I couldn't but now (4 years later) I at most have a couple of spots. Also go out, f*ck it, everyone has imperfections, but its soceities perception that spots are bad. they are, ultimately, just spots. not good, not bad, just a fact that you'll have for a couple of years and then will go...

That is awful :frown:
I hate it when people are so ignorant :mad: The fact that people think that you don't wash your face or you're unhygenic or somehting is so frustrating. Thankfully no one has ever said anything like that to me, but i can just "feel" certain people thinking it lol
Ahhh it just seems so simple! I try to forget about it, but if i glimpse in a window or mirror or somehting i'm like :eek:
After 6-8 weeks, if you see no improvement in your acne then ask to change your antibiotics. After you've gone through a few courses of different antibiotics, ask to be referred to a dermatologist.
It's been suggested that Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% and 10% have no significant difference in effectiveness. But it's a really good treatment, the BMJ puts it first in terms of effectiveness (topical treatments) and you don't get "resistant" to it.
As long as you take antibiotics, keep using a topical treatment as they work together. I think you should go to your GP and explain that your antibiotics aren't working.

I think you should have a consistent skin care regime ands you should take a holistic approach to clearing acne as it does work in some cases.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 17
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
After 6-8 weeks, if you see no improvement in your acne then ask to change your antibiotics. After you've gone through a few courses of different antibiotics, ask to be referred to a dermatologist.
It's been suggested that Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% and 10% have no significant difference in effectiveness. But it's a really good treatment, the BMJ puts it first in terms of effectiveness (topical treatments) and you don't get "resistant" to it.
As long as you take antibiotics, keep using a topical treatment as they work together. I think you should go to your GP and explain that your antibiotics aren't working.

I think you should have a consistent skin care regime ands you should take a holistic approach to clearing acne as it does work in some cases.
Good luck :smile:

Thanks, i shall stick it out for a few more weeks and see what happens... :smile:
what do you mean by hollistic? :o:
Have you tried Dinatee or something like that? Loads of girls here said it worked for them
Reply 19
Anonymous

Go on roaccutane- best thing i ever done. It takes all the oil out of your skin and leaves it completely flawless. If you have too much oil on your face you need to go on this stuff. It worked instantly on me. Nothing could have possible worked quicker imo. Can't believe docs don't put more teens on it. I seriously recommend it. Although you feel **** in the first week- month so i def wouldnt recommend it during exam time or something.

Latest