The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Converse Rocker
Na, sadly I don't have Alexander (might buy it some time) so it has been Europa Barbarorum and Roma Surrectum; both great :smile:

Yes! yes it is isn't it? I mean...the gameplay is much improved, I like the factions and I often like the looks. Some of the descriptions are so retarded but it amusing that, despite its faults, it does a better job on the history side than the official team.
Starcraft II. Just got back into it, started playing Protoss.

God I love this game :love:
Original post by Architecture-er
Starcraft II. Just got back into it, started playing Protoss.

God I love this game :love:

Considered downloading the demo but never got round to it. I guess being a big fan of Total War, I didn't really see where the skill came in, apart from building all the right stuff? For example in Total War you have to move your units into the best position, but with Starcraft it just seemed like clicking on enemy units and letting them duke it out.

I don't know anything about it though, or at least very little, so I think I'm being naive :smile:

Original post by The Lyceum
Yes! yes it is isn't it? I mean...the gameplay is much improved, I like the factions and I often like the looks. Some of the descriptions are so retarded but it amusing that, despite its faults, it does a better job on the history side than the official team.

Oh yeah, Vanilla Rome is to be honest a terribly unrealistic game. It's fun, definitely, but it's nice to have something more historically accurate after a while. Most mods are also a lot less 'cartoonish' I find, such as Roma Surrectum 2 (also an ace mod) :wink: Rome TW will always be one of, if not the best TW game to me.

A lot of speculation about the era of the next game on the TWC forums!
(edited 11 years ago)
Considered downloading the demo but never got round to it. I guess being a big fan of Total War, I didn't really see where the skill came in, apart from building all the right stuff? For example in Total War you have to move your units into the best position, but with Starcraft it just seemed like clicking on enemy units and letting them duke it out.

I don't know anything about it though, or at least very little, so I think I'm being naive :smile:

Slightly :biggrin:

Starcraft has a huge amount of exposition and theorycrafting due to it's popularity and big eSports scene - so opening build orders are fine-tuned and quite precise. It's all about building and expanding, but you have to watch out for counter-attacks, denying their expansions, keeping your army up, scouting him, getting upgrades, etc etc.

There's a lot to think about, and around 50% of the units have useable abilities as well, so fights are actually quite hectic and you really need to be on top of your game! :biggrin:

For example, I'm in the lowest league because I've just started a new race, and I'm trying to improve just by playing safely. I'm winning on macro, but losing to drops and incorrect army compositions, so I'm learning lots about covering my multiple achilles' heels better :lol:

I'd say SCII is the top RTS in terms of having the highest skill cap, the levels the pros get to is just phenomenal. And they're still improving and strategies are still being developed, despite the game being over 3 years old now.

edit: watch a pro's saved streams if you want to get an idea of how crazy it is, someone like idrA / Bomber / MMA / iNcontrol - they have streaming sites with old recordings saved onto them
(edited 11 years ago)
insight

Thought it was just me aha...it's obviously a very different game to Total War and without playing it I can't really appreciate where the skill level lies. I'll give it a bash some time though.

Cheers :smile:
Thought it was just me aha...it's obviously a very different game to Total War and without playing it I can't really appreciate where the skill level lies. I'll give it a bash some time though.

Cheers :smile:

That's true enough I suppose :biggrin:

How's Total War though? My friend recently picked it up and has been playing with another friend - not sure whether I'll pick it up since it's a bit cheap, is it quite competitive and fast-paced or is it more along the lines of Age of Empires and so on? :smile:
That's true enough I suppose :biggrin:

How's Total War though? My friend recently picked it up and has been playing with another friend - not sure whether I'll pick it up since it's a bit cheap, is it quite competitive and fast-paced or is it more along the lines of Age of Empires and so on? :smile:

Depends how you play it really. If you play a single player campaign, you have to monitor all your cities, control taxes, choose what to build where and the recruitment of troops etc. Campaigns can be pretty lengthy, but I never really got into them, it took too much time and learning to balance all the cities etc aha

For multiplayer, you simply deploy your army and try to outplay each other. Check out some videos on Youtube; if you're inclined you can pick up the games incredibly cheap (apart from the latest installment of Shogun 2)

I'd say it's a faster game than AoE (multiplayer at least) because there isn't any building involved; you deploy your troops and then the battle begins immediately. There are demos you can download off Steam for free for pretty much every title in the series, that's what I used to decide. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3207
Viva pinata!
Depends how you play it really. If you play a single player campaign, you have to monitor all your cities, control taxes, choose what to build where and the recruitment of troops etc. Campaigns can be pretty lengthy, but I never really got into them, it took too much time and learning to balance all the cities etc aha

For multiplayer, you simply deploy your army and try to outplay each other. Check out some videos on Youtube; if you're inclined you can pick up the games incredibly cheap (apart from the latest installment of Shogun 2)

I'd say it's a faster game than AoE (multiplayer at least) because there isn't any building involved; you deploy your troops and then the battle begins immediately. There are demos you can download off Steam for free for pretty much every title in the series, that's what I used to decide. :smile:

Oh ok! I may take a peek at that then.

So how do you 'outplay' your opponent in multiplayer? Do you start with the same army sizes and compositions?
Reply 3209
Portal 2, Path of Exile, RAGE and AoEO (Age of empires online)
F1 2011 - Online Co-op championship mostly. It's good fun, but in a Red Bull the "Legendary" AI can't touch me and I'm better than my real life team mate.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask and Rome: TW. Kickin' it old school for the most part.
Oh ok! I may take a peek at that then.

So how do you 'outplay' your opponent in multiplayer? Do you start with the same army sizes and compositions?

You will probably set an amount of money that each player is allowed to use buying units, unless you decide to give the other player(s) more or less money. In terms of army composition, it's up to you what troops you bring and how many, but there is a common rule used in almost all online games that regulates how many of a certain unit/unit type you can bring. (It's called cwb, it's meant to stop people making armies out of one unit and 'spamming' something) There's also the ability to boost the stats of your units through upgrades, and some units have special abilities while on the battlefield. Sounds kind of confusing (and very nerdy aha) but it's pretty simple and great fun.

Youtube again is probably the best way to see how it works. It's basically whoever can kill all the enemy troops, or more commonly, who can cause them all to 'rout' from the battlefield (basically run away)

It's pretty simple, probably simpler than Starcraft in terms of deployment, but the skill comes from how you use your units, and also the units you pick in the first place. :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0YS12_JkDE

This guy is a popular TW commentator, should give you a feel of how the game works in multiplayer. Kind of hard to describe all the features, such as morale, in this one post but hopefully you can get a good feel. Free demos will let you understand it entirely, and PM me if you like mate :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Crash Bandicoot 2 - Cortex Strikes Back
gone back to black ops zombies like a baws.
Oblivion. All day every day.
Fallout: New Vegas.

So much bloody fun!
Reply 3217
Skyrim
Portal, I am about half way through chamber 19 now and when I'm done with it I will move on to Portal 2. (Steam sale FTW)
Assassin Creed :smile: I think I'm still on the tutorials section v_v but it's still fun nevertheless.

Latest