The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Spetznaaz
It cost me.. £6.70 for a STUDENT ticket to see inception the other day. This is a ******' rip off.

Oh not to mention the 3.50 tiny box of popcorn.

And of course, the fact you have to pay significantly more to see a film in 3d. And i won't even start on the price of blu ray disks.

Fact is, they are all a bunch of money grabbing *****. Downloading films will never go away, these big company's need to realise this, and work out a way to profit from it, rather than spend so much money fighting a losing battle.

I remember when it was 4.80 for a cinema ticket, non student as well. Those were the days.

No offence, but go learn more about cinema industry and its profits and realise that they HAVE to charge more. Seriously. Stop moaning and get over it.

BTW
FOR EVERYONE

The cinema itself doesnt make much money at all from ticket sales, it makes MOST of its money from food n such, thats how it makes it money, if they were "standard" prices then cinemas would go bust

Cinema is a luxury, not some cheap take home DVD.
Realise this.
Deal with it.
Quit moaning.
Go do some research.
It goes a lot further than that, but it's a complex kinda thing, read into it if you want..

I'm complaining because these companies make millions, they complain that people 'steal' movies and music, and try and stop them from doing so, but they screw over actors, musicians, etc.

If you read into it you will know what i mean.

I pay for films when i can, but as i say, the price is a rip off, so i simply cannot afford it that much.

Edit - Tommy, it's not the cinemas i'm pissed off with. Well, apart from their food prices.
Reply 22
Tommyjw
Its not about theft as such

Well they are insisting that it IS theft, with their constant tv adverts telling us that it is theft. That's my problem with it, they are trying to indoctrinate us and change our perception of truth.

Tommyjw
its that you've not given them money, thus they have less money.

They have the same amount of money........Even if I didn't exist, they would have the same amount of money. I have not taken money off them. Denying them a profit isn't taking money off them, it's just tough-titties for a big company that has more money than we do collectively.

For what it's worth, I prefer to watch films at the cinema with a big cup of Cola and a fat box of popcorn, and buy DVD's for £3 from Tesco's rather than mess around trying to download them off the internet (primarily as I wouldn't know how to.) The above is just a thought exercise.

Resist!
Reply 23
Tommyjw
Your an idiot.
Ofcourse piracy makes a lot less people go to the cinema.
I wanted to go see the A Team, instead.. i watched it online on a perfect copy.
We wanted to see inception, instead my uncle had a perfect DVD copy.
This is just me.. in the last week.. they've lost 10 quid right there.

Now, take that to millions of others.. many that are worse than me, ofcourse its gonna have a huge effect

Its like saying piracy of songs on limewire n torrents and such have no effect on the music industry.
Grow a brain.

Less people going to cinema = less profits = prices need to go up. Thats one reason prices are going up.
So is the fact of how expensive films are costing to make nowadays, means they are needing to up prices.
Both of these together = prices going up, and a reasonable reason why.

Your whole post must mean you actually know nothing about the film industry or about business's in general. Maybe you should do a little research and stop coming up with your own "conspiracy" stuff or stop following other peoples.

Theres a lot of bigger reasons for why films are more expensive.
Look at Rush Hour 3 a few years ago as an example. Chris Tucker took $25 million for his part. 10 years ago, if a C list actor like him had demanded that much people would have thought he was crazy. Now its normal for stars to ask for that much. Add on top all the bullsh!t CGI they use nowadays and the price of making films has gone up. The studio doesnt absorb any of this extra cost, it just gets passed down to the public in the form of higher prices.

When cinemas show films about 80% of the ticket price goes to the studio and distributor. The cinema basically loses money, and has to put prices up and get the cash elsewhere. Have you ever wondered why popcorn costs like £5 at the cinema?

This stupid model where the studio squeezes everyone else is what makes things more expensive.

And you talk about you personally pirating. You're obviously a younger person. Anyone over the age of 40, and most families probably wouldnt have any idea where to get their hands on pirated films. Its still mroe of a technological niche than something you can get on a street corner.

Films costing £8 is the reason people pirate, not people pirating being the reaon it costs £8.
Reply 24
elandar
Theres a lot of bigger reasons for why films are more expensive.
Look at Rush Hour 3 a few years ago as an example. Chris Tucker took $25 million for his part. 10 years ago, if a C list actor like him had demanded that much people would have thought he was crazy. Now its normal for stars to ask for that much. Add on top all the bullsh!t CGI they use nowadays and the price of making films has gone up. The studio doesnt absorb any of this extra cost, it just gets passed down to the public in the form of higher prices.

When cinemas show films about 80% of the ticket price goes to the studio and distributor. The cinema basically loses money, and has to put prices up and get the cash elsewhere. Have you ever wondered why popcorn costs like £5 at the cinema?

This stupid model where the studio squeezes everyone else is what makes things more expensive.

And you talk about you personally pirating. You're obviously a younger person. Anyone over the age of 40, and most families probably wouldnt have any idea where to get their hands on pirated films. Its still mroe of a technological niche than something you can get on a street corner.

Films costing £8 is the reason people pirate, not people pirating being the reaon it costs £8.

Firstly, i said about how films are becoming more expensive to make in general, so that take sout half your post.
Second, read another post, i mention that cinemas themselfs hardly get any of the ticket money thus rely on high food costs otherwise the business would fail.

And yes, i understand other people may not know how.

But "Films costing £8 is the reason people pirate, not people pirating being the reaon it costs £8" is not true.
It goes both ways..

Supply and demand.
Demand goes down, so does supply, so prices rise.
Im not going to say your an idiot so im not going to explain about why less people going to cinema means they need higher prices to compensate cuz thats obvious.

Then yes, the higher prices mean less people, then less people mores higher prices.. it just keeps going and going. Its the reason many people know the cinema is a dying business.
Reply 25
Tommyjw
Firstly, i said about how films are becoming more expensive to make in general, so that take sout half your post.
Second, read another post, i mention that cinemas themselfs hardly get any of the ticket money thus rely on high food costs otherwise the business would fail.

But "Films costing £8 is the reason people pirate, not people pirating being the reaon it costs £8" is not true.
It goes both ways..

Supply and demand.
Im not going to say your an idiot so im not going to explain about why less people going to cinema means they need higher prices to compensate cuz thats obvious.

Then yes, the higher prices mean less people, then less people mores higher prices.. it just keeps going and going. Its the reason many people know the cinema is a dying business.

Could you kindly remove your member from the film industries anus please :teehee:
WithFlyingColours
I'm sceptical as to the claims that movie piracy funds terrorism.

dont you download movies for free anyway - im not sure where the terrorist can even gain money from piracy?
Reply 27
Tommyjw

It goes both ways..

Supply and demand.

Could you kindly remove your member from the film industry's anus please :teehee:
Reply 28
Wesssty
Could you kindly remove your member from the film industry's anus please :teehee:

Sorry for "sticking up for them" or whatever :rolleyes:

I just get annoyed by threads like this, where people are clearly too stupid to have any common sense about stuff so just rant on and on about things they dont understand :p:
I would be quite happy to go and see a movie at the cinema... however for £9.90 per ticket it's not worth it.
Reply 30
elandar
Does anyone else agree with the opinion that this whole idea that film piracy is whats damaging the film industry and raising prices, is crap?

The fact is, movie studios are run by greedy morons who throw away money, and the entire industry has systemic financial and organisational flaws which leads to the public paying more and more at the cinema.

This idea that piracy is to blame for dropping attendance is a smokescreen to cover this up.

I agree with this.
Reply 31
every musician, actor, director, software-maker, etc. that says this is unbelievably rich, so they can **** right off, greedy *****
Reply 32
Tommyjw

It goes both ways..

Supply and demand.

Sorry you probably posted your second post while I was writing my reply to your first.

I understand your supply and demand theory, but my original argument is that the reason for this doesnt really have anything to do with piracy. Its entirely the fault of the studios that this is happening.
It was their decision to:
- Not invest in new talent or original ideas. Most people would agree that there has been a decline in the quality of films in the last 10 years. (a big reason why people dont go to the cinema as much)
-Pay stars ridiculous amounts of money (and generally leak cash all over the place), then try and just fork off the cost down the line to the consumer.

The reason ticket prices are high is because we (indirectly) pay for the studios chronic mismanagement and financial stupidity. Piracy has nothing to do with it.

The studios would rather blame piracy than admit that they run a system that is structurally and financially flawed in every way, and have to reform it.
I haven't been to the cinema in 3 years, sounds like i'm not missing much
elandar
Does anyone else agree with the opinion that this whole idea that film piracy is whats damaging the film industry and raising prices, is crap?

The fact is, movie studios are run by greedy morons who throw away money, and the entire industry has systemic financial and organisational flaws which leads to the public paying more and more at the cinema.

This idea that piracy is to blame for dropping attendance is a smokescreen to cover this up.

It doesn't matter whether it does or not. It's against the law = you shouldn't be doing it = you should accept the consequences if you do it and should be thankful that the authorities at least try to warn you off.
Reply 35
If I want to watch a film really bad, ill go the cinema. I do download films but only ones im not really desperate to see or if ive watched it once. If I didnt download these films, I wouldnt pay to watch them at a cinema or buy the DVD anyway so yknow...
Reply 36
THRASHx
If I want to watch a film really bad, ill go the cinema. I do download films but only ones im not really desperate to see or if ive watched it once. If I didnt download these films, I wouldnt pay to watch them at a cinema or buy the DVD anyway so yknow...

Lol this is a very good point. The industry wouldn't get the money anyway, people would just stop watching films. Generally speaking.
Reply 37
Tommyjw
Its not about theft as such, its that you've not given them money, thus they have less money. How is that not obvious to you?

So by your argument, if someone makes an exact same copy of a physical object (e.g. alarm clock) that they bought from a shop by using spare materials that they already have, and then give this copied version to a friend, this would be considered as morally wrong because the store has lost out on money which would've been gained from the friend buying the same clock, right?
Tommyjw
Its not about theft as such, its that you've not given them money, thus they have less money. How is that not obvious to you?

no they dont have less money, how can they have less money?

You're not taking money away from them, they just dont get extra money from you watching what is freely available to you on the internet.
Reply 39
W.H.T
So by your argument, if someone makes an exact same copy of a physical object (e.g. alarm clock) that they bought from a shop by using spare materials that they already have, and then give this copied version to a friend, this would be considered as theft, right?

One. Your clearly cant read. Becuase it stated "its not about theft"
Two. ANY topic will have exemptions.. examples that dont fit the rule.. etc etc etc. Coming up with something such as your example isnt clever because it is totally off topic.

Latest

Trending

Trending