The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
mgarthwaite1330
The OU is a great idea, far better than a traditional university! I'm a graduate of the OU and went on the LSE and then went on to Imperial, so don't dis the OU :smile:

what did you do at LSE and imperial if its not a secret?

i've checked out some of their masters, and they are VERY expensive:frown: :eek3:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
emilyameliarose
hmm i guess you are right, but just the costs alone seem so much cheaper. is the experience of university really that great?!? :smile:

I personally decided against going to a "proper uni'" as I knew that I wouldn't like the whole "university experience". I am quiet, reserved, not really a people person, and prefer studying off my own back so I knew that traditional uni would be wrong for me. I did apply, and I sat through taster lectures etc, and it just didn't feel right. It depends what you're like, I suppose. I think someone who feels social interaction is v. important will be better off at a traditional uni.
well... the OU does sound appealing and most people i've asked say that employers are more impressed with it...
can you do it within 2 or 3 years (a full degree)? i know most people do it part time within 6 years....
also i have applied for university on deferred entry and now i cant apply for this year, although i'd like to do it this year, so i thought doing the OU course would let me start this year
but i'm still unsure!
i have a lot of self-motivation, and the funding on the site says it basically covers me- i'd be in no debt :/
thank you for the advice so far :biggrin:
Reply 23
emilyameliarose
well... the OU does sound appealing and most people i've asked say that employers are more impressed with it...
can you do it within 2 or 3 years (a full degree)? i know most people do it part time within 6 years....
also i have applied for university on deferred entry and now i cant apply for this year, although i'd like to do it this year, so i thought doing the OU course would let me start this year
but i'm still unsure!
i have a lot of self-motivation, and the funding on the site says it basically covers me- i'd be in no debt :/

They prefer people not to do more than 90 points in a year (360 needed for an Hons degree). Don't know if that is an absolute limit though.

For those of us from less well off backgrounds, can get a degree for free from the OU. No debt.

And modules from the OU are treated similar to modules from other universitities. So can be credited if close enough to the course requirements.

I've got 50 points from the OU, which may have helped with my application to the local university. Can't carry points across but can keep them for the future, modules I did aren't relevant for my first degree.
Certainly worth doing some courses with the OU. Just don't overload yourself. Try a couple, say a 30 point course and a 10 point course, or just a 10 point starter.
Reply 24
emilyameliarose
but i'm still unsure!

You can certainly do it within 3 years, thats what I plan to do, and I heard people completing it within 3 years as well:smile:

And yep, I won't be in debt as well, completely free, thats why I'll take masters from a brick uni as well, after completing OU:smile:
Reply 25
The shortest time I've heard was 2 years 9 months. Most of the courses overlapped sometimes by 4 months, this person didn't work either, so managed to literally study all day.
Is doable, but the OU don't like you to study more than 90 points.
There is a condition of registration that should you fail 3 courses in a row, you are not permitted to register for anything new for 3 years. So only study full time if you are 100% sure you can commit to the work load.
The maximum yearly is 120 points, unless they've changed that in the last year or two.

4 years is a good thing to aim for (the same length of time an honours degree takes in Scotland, fact fans), means you won't be too rushed if you plan the modules right but it would still be done pretty quick. 3 years is possible if you get everything scheduled perfectly but it depends what you are studying. 2 years 9 months is pushing the boundaries of plausibility.
yeah i think the site said 120 points now ive gone and double checked it
i think it sounds like a really good idea
would employers ask why you chose OU instead of a brick uni do you think?
i guess the biggest plus is the lack of debt youd be in :biggrin: :biggrin:

Latest