The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I went to their open day and was diappointed the university looked horrible and all they seemed to talk about in the law presentation was their ict facilities. but apperenly it is fairly good
Reply 2
when i went to see it i thought it was really nice nd thought that it would be a really nice place to study... i ended up putting it as my insurance coz my family put a lot of pressure on me to stay in london otherwise it would probably have been my firm but i think regardless of my choices after my alevel grades i decided to go to newcastle lol!
I studied at Kent and had a number of friends studying Law, all of whom said that the course was fantastic; really well organised and the lecturers were great. Kent as a university is very good, definitely better than people make out. Most of the people who have a low opinion of it either haven't been there or are snobs who class 60's universities as polytechnics. I still have friends studying the LLB so if you have any questions, I'll try and help.
I really wanted to have it as one of my six choices but when i went it just didnt feel right. I thought a flurescent green/yellow cafe was slightly tastless and they spent 1/2 an hour going on about their ict facilities when i could not care less. I have also been to an lse open day and there was no comparison. but thats just my opinion and people who have been there would most probably be able to give more help
Reply 5
I'm applying to Kent, athough I have yet to visit it. Reasons why i'm applying are as follows:

1) The typical offer is reasonable (ABB) and thus is perfect for an insurance if need be.
2) The LLB course has a wide variety of modules many of which are niche which really do interest me.
3) In the prospectus the campus looks really nice and does offer a range of self catered/catered accommodation many of which have en-suite facilities.
4) The ICT facilities are made out to be greatly used and thus very useful to this every increasing electronic world.
5) It offers a very good university bursary scheme which for people from low income families is good news.

I'm not selling the university to you and it is not one of my "firm choices" (unless of course either Cardiff or Exeter reject me) but I see it as a realistic choice for me.
Reply 6
the different modules really appeal to me too. Im going to the open day on the 8th so am looking forward to see it for myself.\one of my friends is going there this year so shes also going to show me behind the scenes.
Reply 7
hallucination
I studied at Kent and had a number of friends studying Law, all of whom said that the course was fantastic; really well organised and the lecturers were great. Kent as a university is very good, definitely better than people make out. Most of the people who have a low opinion of it either haven't been there or are snobs who class 60's universities as polytechnics. I still have friends studying the LLB so if you have any questions, I'll try and help.

what did you think of the social side as i cant find info anywhere on it. i really hope the open day lives up to expections as i really like the look of it
elyse180887
what did you think of the social side as i cant find info anywhere on it. i really hope the open day lives up to expections as i really like the look of it

Well, Canterbury is a relatively small and quiet city so there tend to be more pubs than clubs/bars. In fact, there are over 365 pubs in Canterbury! Most of the social scene happens on campus, with 5 bars and 1 nightclub at Kent. In Canterbury there are 3 clubs and a handful of student bars/pubs which attract students from all of the universities in the area - KIAD, Canterbury Christchurch etc...yet there is very little crime in Canterbury and after 11 in the week it tends to be a bit of a ghost town! Don't let that put you off though - the pubs etc are more than adequate and if you join a society or sports team at Kent you will keep very busy with various social events during the week etc. It depends where you live at the moment really; I went to Canterbury from London so found it relatively quiet but many of my friends who came from regular/small towns found it really lively. Let me know if you have any further q's :smile: Hope you enjoy the open day.
Kent were my insurance choice and I really liked it there.

For me, what really made it stand out was the Kent Law Clinic, which gives students the chance to handle tribunal cases as pro bono work with the guidance of a solicitor. What a great opportunity.
Reply 10
thanks for all your help. im looking at kent as maybe one of my firm choices as i messed up my english AS so only have a lowish grade in it despite the A's in history and law.
Oh yes, and Kent really like Law A level. They'll love you.
Reply 12
LucyMP
Oh yes, and Kent really like Law A level. They'll love you.

where did you put as you firm.
ive been advised to put two options with AAB entrance though i doubt i will get accepted plus i really want to go to kent. any suggestions...
elyse180887
ive been advised to put two options with AAB entrance though i doubt i will get accepted plus i really want to go to kent. any suggestions...

I also advice to put a number of options who have quite high entrance grades. For example, King's College's entry requirement is AAB and, in my opinion, if your GCSE grades are quite good, then you have a good chance of getting a place. Don't get discouraged from applying to the top unis because of your grade in one AS level!!
Reply 14
Justice (OCD85)
I also advice to put a number of options who have quite high entrance grades. For example, King's College's entry requirement is AAB and, in my opinion, if your GCSE grades are quite good, then you have a good chance of getting a place. Don't get discouraged from applying to the top unis because of your grade in one AS level!!

well i got 2 A*s 5As and 3Bs
elyse180887
well i got 2 A*s 5As and 3Bs

Those are very good GCSE grades, well way better than mine anyway (and I was still offered to read law at UCL and now set to go there next week), my advice to you is to do your research and apply to at least 3 of the top 10 - 15 universities in the country. With the right slant on your personal statement, excellent reference and excellent interview (if you have one), you should get an offer from at least one of the top unis for law!!
Im hoping to go there but there is an open day on Saturday 8th October
elyse180887

Sheffield.
elyse180887

Kent may even lower your offer if they like you that much. They lowered mine to BBB along with a few other people who had applied for similar courses to me, and most had done Law A level.
Reply 18
Kent is 46th overall.. any good for becoming a barrister??
Reply 19
A chap I know at a US law firm who used to manage their London office got his LLB from Kent.

Latest

Trending

Trending