The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

S154/s104

Scroll to see replies

re s104 as an access course. I can remember that it is recognised and accepted qualification if you apply as a mature student for physiotherapy or occupational therapy at Southampton Uni, I think.
(edited 13 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 21
woolgatherer
I don't know if it helps or not :confused:

Thanks very much, that helped a lot! :yy:
Reply 22
woolgatherer
re s104 as an access course. I can remember that it is recognised and accepted qualification if you apply as a mature student for physiotherapy or occupational therapy at Southampton Uni, I think.

Hey woolgatherer, I have another question if you don't mind: how much time per week did you spend on this course? (I know they say 16 hours but I'm wondering how accurate that is / how much it fluctuates.)

[BTW, I don't actually want to take this course - I'm just wondering if it could possibly be used as a sort of special 6th form "science enrichment" programme, since the course outline (especially the concept of integrating all sciences and putting them in context) looks really great!]
(edited 13 years ago)
llys
Hey woolgatherer, I have another question if you don't mind: how much time per week did you spend on this course? (I know they say 16 hours but I'm wondering how accurate that is / how much it fluctuates.)

Oh, llys! You're delving... :smile:

I think I spent more than 16 hrs/week on average; maybe around 18. 10 hrs per week is probably much enough to go through the study material, proceed with experiments, do some revisions and CMAs (computer marked assignments), etc. TMAs were more demanding. They advise to answer questions along studying relevant parts of books. I usually did everything at once after I finished a whole book. For easier TMAs I needed around 15-20 hrs. For the hardest over 30 hrs. End-of-course assignment took me even more, but it was almost 20% of course value and I had to revised more thoroughly earlier parts of the course.

But everything is relative and it could be easier for you. I did my 'A-levels' 13 yrs ago and apart from some human biology related to my other interests, I had barely touched upon any science over these yrs. I spent ridiculous amount of time polishing answers as I'm not an English native speaker. After all, I wasted hours trying to lay down mathematical calculations and equations using MS Word instead of doing it quickly by hand. I did the same with molecular formulas :smile:

llys

[BTW, I don't actually want to take this course - I'm just wondering if it could possibly be used as a sort of special 6th form "science enrichment" programme, since the course outline (especially the concept of integrating all sciences and putting them in context) looks really great!]

I like the 'science enrichment' idea :smile: I was never much interested in geology before, but when I started to look at geological processes with some background in physics and chemistry, several things got really absorbing; I can now spend hours looking at rock fragments on a beach, thinking when and why they were formed. Also speculations about possibility of life on other planets combine loads of topics from remote disciplines and suddenly basic organic chemistry, microbiology and evolution is fusing with physics. I used to (almost) hate cosmology and astronomy, and now, surprisingly, I'm Brian Cox's fan and read academic books in astrophysics :smile: yes, i think it is enriching. After all, it wasn't really hard to get distinction (I'm not very modest :smile: However, deep in heart, anthropology is my 'first love', and I enjoy working with people incomparably more than with stones :wink:
Reply 24
woolgatherer
Oh, llys! You're delving... :smile:

I think I spent more than 16 hrs/week on average; maybe around 18. 10 hrs per week is probably much enough to go through the study material, proceed with experiments, do some revisions and CMAs (computer marked assignments), etc. TMAs were more demanding. They advise to answer questions along studying relevant parts of books. I usually did everything at once after I finished a whole book. For easier TMAs I needed around 15-20 hrs. For the hardest over 30 hrs. End-of-course assignment took me even more, but it was almost 20% of course value and I had to revised more thoroughly earlier parts of the course.

But everything is relative and it could be easier for you. I did my 'A-levels' 13 yrs ago and apart from some human biology related to my other interests, I had barely touched upon any science over these yrs. I spent ridiculous amount of time polishing answers as I'm not an English native speaker. After all, I wasted hours trying to lay down mathematical calculations and equations using MS Word instead of doing it quickly by hand. I did the same with molecular formulas :smile:

I like the 'science enrichment' idea :smile: I was never much interested in geology before, but when I started to look at geological processes with some background in physics and chemistry, several things got really absorbing; I can now spend hours looking at rock fragments on a beach, thinking when and why they were formed. Also speculations about possibility of life on other planets combine loads of topics from remote disciplines and suddenly basic organic chemistry, microbiology and evolution is fusing with physics. I used to (almost) hate cosmology and astronomy, and now, surprisingly, I'm Brian Cox's fan and read academic books in astrophysics :smile: yes, i think it is enriching. After all, it wasn't really hard to get distinction (I'm not very modest :smile: However, deep in heart, anthropology is my 'first love', and I enjoy working with people incomparably more than with stones :wink:

Thanks so much for your detailed replies, very helpful. How many experiments did you do for the course?

May I ask, what's your study programme for Anthropology? It sounds like something else that could be used for "enrichment" - one could even combine it with Science to get at a broad overview of everything, like "humans in/and their environment" (or "humans on earth" :wink: ). However then the workload would probably get too intense and one would have to sacrifice depth of study to make it enriching instead of just stressful..

[BTW, your English is excellent!]

Latest