The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
emma_mcd
I just want to know, is uni like school where you have to go set hours Mon-Fri? Or is it different?

Also, are there actual lectures, assignments etc during Freshers week?

The answer is : it depends.

Most courses don't have many contact hours. Some are as low as about 8 a week contact (lectures & seminars). Others are 20+, depends on the type of course.

Thats not saying you won't be working hard. Some courses are 25+ hours reading a week....

Don't recall any lectures or anything during freshers week though there was a registration day and a welcome meeting.
Freshers fayre can be good, and virtually every evening there's something on that week at most places.

My first semester I was in for 3 days, one fairly full day, one day with a morning lecture (11am) and one day with an evening lecture (6.30pm).
Second semester I was in for 2 full days, one with a morning and an evening lecture, one with an afternoon and evening lecture.

Different courses, different modules, different universities.
I did. :emo:

sob sob
emma_mcd
I just want to know, is uni like school where you have to go set hours Mon-Fri? Or is it different?

wellll... it depends on your subject and you dont HAVE to turn up to anything...
but there are set classes which are a good idea to turn up to if you want to pass!!!
Arts generally only have 4 - 6 a week so not every day and science can have up to every day scheduled with lectures/lab work...

Depends on uni but during freshers they wont ask much of you, especially assignment wise, so whilst there may be a few lectures to introduce students to the new learning style, they wont be too influential.... :smile:
no theres not lectures/assignments in freshers week, but you may have to go to the odd meeting. (well we actually had lectures pre-freshers, i just didn't go to them)

and depending on the uni/subject, there may or may not be compulsory things to go to. and when i say compulsory i mainly mean that you get marks in them, so its a bit stupid not to go
I did a science, and I was in every day. However, it wasn't full days - there was a lot of "free" periods. Also to bear in mind, is that there is usually one day a week where you have a "sports afternoon" (Wednesday for us) so that people who play sports can go off and play other universities in the afternoon.
Reply 6
Well speaking from second hand experience.... My cousin did chemistry at Uni and he was in the labs 9-5 Monday, Wednesday and Friday and had lecures 11-4 on Tuesdays and Thursdays! Sucked to be him!
Reply 7
I did Fine Art, so I was in the studio pretty much every day but no-one made me be there, I was just getting on with whatever I was doing.
Generally, there are no classes during freshers week but you will probably have administration things to do and lectures about the courses you have and so forth.

It will depend on your contact hours and how they are spread across the week, as to whether you will have a day off. I have friends who only had classes two days a week, and others who were in every day. Personally, I had two days off a week in first year, 1 day off a week this year. :smile:
Sorry to crash thread but can anyone tell me if they do those awfully embarrassing "get to know everyone" intro things that they do at college?
Reply 10
i will be in uni
9 - 1530 monday
9 - 1800 tuesday
9 - 1230 wednesday
9 - 1630 thursday
9 - 1130 friday

:frown:
Reply 11
clementinek
Sorry to crash thread but can anyone tell me if they do those awfully embarrassing "get to know everyone" intro things that they do at college?

god i hope not :frown:
clementinek

lol i hate those things. If theres more than two people listening to me speak at once i cant help but go red haha
Reply 13
clementinek

I had a "team building" day with people that I would then be stuck in workshop groups with. Was a little bit cringy but we made the most of it.
Ok thanks :smile:

tarwe
god i hope not :frown:

me too! I'm quiet and timid and I'm going to find it hard enough to throw myself out there, never mind being forced into it :frown:
Reply 15
clementinek

me too! I'm quiet and timid and I'm going to find it hard enough to throw myself out there, never mind being forced into it :frown:

same. i'd never know what to say anyway.
"hello my name is carmel..."
urgh
Reply 16
clementinek

I never had one like that. Not in class, though no idea if any of the fresher events do them. Unlikely I'd say....
Reply 17
emma_mcd

U don't have to be going, but u should!:smile:
Reply 18
clementinek

May have a little bit of that. Some assignments may be group assignments. Helps a lot if you can talk to your group.
But thats not the first few days - group assignments can be a lot of work so weeks into the module.
Reply 19
Maybe an induction on freshers but apart from that dont expect anything.
No its not like school...well kinda like when your a senior, you basically get told when your lectures are but can do what you like inbetween them. 1st semester I was in 3 days a week, one of them was a half day, then the next semester I was in every day, though one day I had a 2 hour lecture in the morning and that was it.

Latest

Trending

Trending