The Student Room Group
Basically the two questions that count are what are your grades, and why do you want to do this course.

Remember that if a course is in Clearing it is because they have spaces left that they have to fill, the tutors are going to be panicky that they won't fill it as the uni may have to hand back funding money to the government if they undershoot numbers. So they do want to take people, what they are looking for is for people within their target range for grades, who understand what the course is and sound like they would be happy to do it.

They are looking to sniff out the types who are secretly hoping to use that course as a way into the uni then try and change once there (always a bad idea as it is very hard to change)

They will usually have a set of grades in mind for Clearing people, eg say the course originally wanted ABB, and didnt fill so they have spaces in Clearing, they might go into Clearing at BBB.
Reply 2
Thanks, that helps :biggrin: ... panicking a bit tbh :frown: worried that i wont get in
Reply 3
what happens if you dont make the grades for a course at a uni/...do you ring them up or what and plead?!
thecdon
what happens if you dont make the grades for a course at a uni/...do you ring them up or what and plead?!

They will have decided already if they are going to take you or not. They get the results on the Sunday before the Thursday when you get them, so if after counting up all the people who have met their grades, they have places left, they decide which ones of the people who didn't meet their grades they will take anyway (usually the ones who missed by one grade who had otherwise good UCAS forms). The ones they decide to take, they will already have on the list so after you get your results if you ring the uni, they will let you know if they have decided to take you or not. The only way pleading is going to work is if the course has gone into Clearing anyway, if its not in Clearing that means its full so if they haven't decided to take you between the Sunday and Thursday, they can't take you otherwise they will get fined for exceeding their quota.
Reply 5
MagicNMedicine
They will have decided already if they are going to take you or not. They get the results on the Sunday before the Thursday when you get them, so if after counting up all the people who have met their grades, they have places left, they decide which ones of the people who didn't meet their grades they will take anyway (usually the ones who missed by one grade who had otherwise good UCAS forms). The ones they decide to take, they will already have on the list so after you get your results if you ring the uni, they will let you know if they have decided to take you or not. The only way pleading is going to work is if the course has gone into Clearing anyway, if its not in Clearing that means its full so if they haven't decided to take you between the Sunday and Thursday, they can't take you otherwise they will get fined for exceeding their quota.

Thanks for that info dude. how do you know they get the results that early?? is there any chance that if i ring on monday morning they can let me know if i got in lol
thecdon
Thanks for that info dude. how do you know they get the results that early?? is there any chance that if i ring on monday morning they can let me know if i got in lol

No, they could tell you but they'd have to kill you because it would break UCAS confidentiality, there would be SERIOUS repercussions if they broke that.

Sunday - Wednesday is frantic for admissions departments as they have to finalise everything in time for Thursday.

Latest

Trending

Trending