The Student Room Group

2nd year of National Dimploma in Computing IT

I've chosen to take 7 units in my second year and just wanted to know if have i taken the right ones
(are they easy or difficult)

Unit 23: Installing and Upgrading Software
Unit 13: Human Computer Interaction
Unit 12: Developing Computer Games
Unit 25: Object Oriented Programming
Unit 16: Maintaining Computer Systems
Unit 10: Client Side Customisation of Web Pages
42 Networking Basics (Cisco CCNA1)

if the IT project is easier I'd do that

any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Nav22
I've chosen to take 7 units in my second year and just wanted to know if have i taken the right ones
(are they easy or difficult)

Unit 23: Installing and Upgrading Software
Unit 13: Human Computer Interaction
Unit 12: Developing Computer Games
Unit 25: Object Oriented Programming
Unit 16: Maintaining Computer Systems
Unit 10: Client Side Customisation of Web Pages
42 Networking Basics (Cisco CCNA1)

if the IT project is easier I'd do that

any advice would be appreciated :smile:

If you already have a good understanding on how computers and GUIs work, then you will probably find the ones in green to be relatively easy. The Cisco one is likely to be a little more difficult though and will involve a test. If you fail the test, you fail the entire unit. (You get two attempts.) That said, it's good to have because Cisco is widely respected within the industry. Like the Cisco unit, the IT project unit is also double weighted. You should get a choice of what your project actually involves. Unless you want to do extra work, choose the easiest option! Like I said, it is double weighted, so you will need to keep in mind that the workload is double that of most other units.

I haven't done any of the other units which you've mentioned. That said, I have heard that "Unit 12: Developing Computer Games" involves quite a lot of maths. If you're good at maths, it shouldn't be a problem.

I noticed that you've mixed a lot of different units from different areas of IT. If you already know which area of IT you wish to go into, this is perhaps not the best idea as it would be better to focus on more specific units. However, if you just want a broader overview, your choice is fine.
I would say at that level it's not such a bad thing to cover a wide range of subjects, as none of it should go particularly deep or be too complex. It'll also give a better idea of what he wants to focus on when it comes to degree level. I've heard Cisco can be quite tough, but apart from that I doubt you'll fail any of it as long as you put in some effort
Reply 3
the cisco unit you are doing is pointless as it does not cover the full ccna and overall ur gonna do like 25 percent off it, that is if u do the unit and plus u got 2 take the exam which will be time consuming as u have assignmets in mind.

Im doin this course alone at my local centre and its rubbish man!!!

I really need help with all the units as they dont teach they jus hand the wrk to u and expect to do it urself

Latest

Trending

Trending