The Student Room Group

Work in the UK.

I just stumbled upon this forum and thought this might be the right place to get my question answered.

I have started my education a little late, so I would like to spend as little time on school as possible. But where I come from, Denmark, it is most common to get a master (3 year bachelor and 2 year master ). A bachelor won't get you a job - as far as I'm told. I have heard that this isn't common around the world, and that you can work with a bachelor in th UK.

The questions is; is this true? Or is it preferred to have a master in UK?

BTW, I intend to study some kind of economics.
Reply 1
Why the hell would you choose the UK? You're from Denmark, not Eastern Europe or Pakistan.
adane
I just stumbled upon this forum and thought this might be the right place to get my question answered.

I have started my education a little late, so I would like to spend as little time on school as possible. But where I come from, Denmark, it is most common to get a master (3 year bachelor and 2 year master ). A bachelor won't get you a job - as far as I'm told. I have heard that this isn't common around the world, and that you can work with a bachelor in th UK.

The questions is; is this true? Or is it preferred to have a master in UK?

BTW, I intend to study some kind of economics.

For most graduate jobs, a BA/BSc is the most that you need. :smile:
Reply 3
Well, of course it's preferred if you have a masters - it's a better degree, however, in the UK it is very possible to get a job with a bachelors, providing it's relevant and a good one. Graduates are supposedly finding getting jobs tough at the moment, so you may find that taking a masters turns out to be the right thing for you after all.

Why not just go for the bachelors, see where it gets you, and make up your mind when you've been doing your degree a while?
Reply 4
Thank you for your fast replies. I wanted to confirm what I had heard, it is nice to know your options.
Reply 5
I know somebody who went the other way - graduated in the UK and moved to Denmark where his family live, as his dad's on a rolling contract with work.

He graduated with an ordinary degree and got straight into an MSc at Copenhagen University. You'll never ever get into an MSc in the UK without Honours, it just doesn't happen so I was surprised when he told me his intentions.

As others have said, you don't need an MSc to work in the UK - a decent Honours (preferably 2.1 or above, 2.2 sometimes acceptable) is normally sufficient.

Latest

Trending

Trending