The Student Room Group

Christian dating Muslim: How would you approach this...

Anonymous!

I'll try to keep it simple: I'm a Christian guy dating a Muslim girl. My parents know about her and are neutral about the whole situation however, her parents don't know about me. We've been together for over a year now.

How would you guys approach a relationship like this? When would it be best to come out to her parents and tell them what we are? We're both university students.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This won't go well with her parents.. :no:
Reply 2
Tried using the search function?
Anonymous
Anonymous!

I'll try to keep it simple: I'm a Christian guy dating a Muslim girl. My parents know about her and are neutral about the whole situation however, her parents don't know about me. We've been together for over a year now.

How would you guys approach a relationship like this? When would it be best to come out to her parents and tell them what we are? We're both university students.

If she loves you, then it doesnt matter what her parents think, if you love her too, then it doesnt matter what your parents think, it is irrelevant on what others think about your relationship, because at the end of the day the choice it up to the lovers, so the only thing I can say is that, if serendipity is meant to be, then let it be, dont fight it, because it wont change anything :smile:
I'm an agnostic guy (from a Muslim family) and my girlfriend is from a Christian family. It's all gone down fine on her side, but I don't plan on telling my family untill we get married.

I wish you the best of luck, but the likelyhood is, her family are probably not going to appreciate the situation...

Possible disownership? :s-smilie: hmm...be careful, for her sake.
Anonymous
Anonymous!

You should have told them way before this; the longer you leave it the worse it'll be. So if you're serious about her, and it sounds like you are, I'd just get it over with.
Reply 6
I'm not sure if her parents are going to be happy about that because bf/gf relationships are a big NO NO in Islam. The fact that you are a Christian doesnt help either. I mean, in Islam, a Muslim girl is ONLY allowed to be with a Muslim guy.Depends how relaxed her parents are really, they might be cool with it.
How religious are the family? I think they'll be angry that it was kept a secret for so long, if anything.
Reply 8
Clueless&Restless
If she loves you, then it doesnt matter what her parents think, if you love her too, then it doesnt matter what your parents think, it is irrelevant on what others think about your relationship, because at the end of the day the choice it up to the lovers, so the only thing I can say is that, if serendipity is meant to be, then let it be, dont fight it, because it wont change anything :smile:

The love is definitely there, she considers me to be her man and she is my lady. Despite the risks on her part we've been together this long so what we have is definitely worth it to her.

jumpingjesusholycow
I'm an agnostic guy (from a Muslim family) and my girlfriend is from a Christian family. It's all gone down fine on her side, but I don't plan on telling my family untill we get married.

I wish you the best of luck, but the likelyhood is, they're (her family) are probably not going to appreciate the situation...

Possible disownership? hmm...be careful, for her sake.

It's much easier in your case since technically you're a Muslim male. It's a whole nother story when it comes to female Muslims.

Thats what I'm afraid about. Chances are her parents would become very hostile with her and possibly disown her (I really hope not).

SilverDoe21
You should have told them way before this; the longer you leave it the worse it'll be. So if you're serious about her, and it sounds like you are, I'd just get it over with.

Can't. We're at university and she lives with her parents. It could turn out very badly for her
I guess it depends on her parents - my parents are totally fine with it :/...but I know of parents especially the parents of the girl who get angry by it.
hmmm...what course are you doing....and how strict are her parents....we need these before advice can be given....

eg. if you are doing med and her parents are not that strict...then you are fine....
if you are doing media and her parents are strict...you are ******
Reply 11
inksplodge
How religious are the family? I think they'll be angry that it was kept a secret for so long, if anything.

The family are religious but not STRICT, as in they keep to most Islamic values like not eatting pork however they don't pray five times a day and her dad drinks a little.

I have an idea in my head that it would be best to come out after university, once we're a little older and say we've just gotten together not mentioning the real length of time we'd have been a couple.
Reply 12
infernalcradle
hmmm...what course are you doing....and how strict are her parents....we need these before advice can be given....

eg. if you are doing med and her parents are not that strict...then you are fine....
if you are doing media and her parents are strict...you are ******

Haha I think I know what you're saying - they want a person who is well off. I won't mention what course I am doing because I'm anonymous but it is a "level" under medicine and still a high profession.
Reply 13
I'd probably steer clear, Muslims often have backward views on who their daughter/sister can and can not date and it's not uncommon for violence or theats to be used against the boyfriend to prevent such forbidden relationships.
Anonymous
The family are religious but not STRICT, as in they keep to most Islamic values like not eatting pork however they don't pray five times a day and her dad drinks a little.

I have an idea in my head that it would be best to come out after university, once we're a little older and say we've just gotten together not mentioning the real length of time we'd have been a couple.

Personally I would definitely leave it until after university... but I wouldn't lie about how long you have been together. I think people appreciate honesty more than anything.
Reply 15
OP Are you doing medicine? It will ease and cushion the blow when her parents find out.
Anonymous
The love is definitely there, she considers me to be her man and she is my lady. Despite the risks on her part we've been together this long so what we have is definitely worth it to her.

It's much easier in your case since technically you're a Muslim male. It's a whole nother story when it comes to female Muslims.

Thats what I'm afraid about. Chances are her parents would become very hostile with her and possibly disown her (I really hope not).

Can't. We're at university and she lives with her parents. It could turn out very badly for her

Fair enough, but if you want to stay with her they're going to find out at some point :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Eastenders. :teehee:

OP, tell her family. The sooner you put it off.. the deeper the situation gets.
Reply 18
Nizzay!
OP Are you doing medicine? It will ease and cushion the blow when her parents find out.

Just mentioned it a few posts above. I have tried for medicine but doing quite a respected profession a "level" below that.
Reply 19
If her dad drinks then likelihood is they aren't religious(big no no), ask her what she thinks her parents reactions would be to it (she knows them best after all) and then consider telling them.

Quick Reply

Latest