The Student Room Group

Christian dating Muslim: How would you approach this...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
ur a luky man my frend, but dont forget cousins and her dad may also kick off, i

ve got two cousins who both maried muslims as they are tehmslevces, so same religion and first guy got smashed in and other guy got a few hits but a smahsed car, funny thing is tehy both still got married to teh girls, never herd of a muslim girl marrying a non-muslom guy, or even dating
Meus
I had to redit my post by the way. I mis-read your post. Unfortunately, a Muslim woman cannot marry outside the faith. Tough situation you got here. Can't imagine what it must be like. Thank God you two aren't in love!

Otherwise

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!:biggrin:

I j'adore this movie. Looking at that pic, I think I've fallen in love leo with again *sigh*.
FlippinEl
My best friends mum married a white guy, and her family stopped speaking to her for like a year. Slowly it got better though. Whether they're strict or not secrecy from parents is very offensive to muslims so they will be in shock or be drastic at first probs, but calm down after

Interesting:p: . Was it a second marriage. Or is he your best friends father?.
Fight For Your Love
Reply 64
miss_opinionated
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!:biggrin:

I j'adore this movie. Looking at that pic, I think I've fallen in love leo with again *sigh*.

Which one was he again? :p:
Meus
Which one was he again? :p:

Romeo, silly :p:. Though, don't think me shallow. Hotties are for short term flings. Guys/girls with a kind heart and a brilliant sense of humour are for relationships teeheehee.
Reply 66
Anonymous
Anonymous!

I'll try to keep it simple: I'm a Christian guy dating a Muslim girl. My parents know about her and are neutral about the whole situation however, her parents don't know about me. We've been together for over a year now.

How would you guys approach a relationship like this? When would it be best to come out to her parents and tell them what we are? We're both university students.

I will be totally frank with you.

Be prepared for the day she wakes up to her Islaamic obligations, and realises her marriage to you has been invalid, and that she has been committing the sin of fornication for years and her children are illegitimate, and she leaves you.

It happens very often, and when it does, you should be prepared for the massive fallout.

A marriage between a muslim woman and non-muslim man is invalid. As a result, if she ever decides to explore and follow her religion more, she will realise that you are not her husband, and that she has been committing the major sin of fornication with you for many years. Unless you truly embrace Islaam (not doing it to stay married) then she will leave you.

Think of the fact that all her muslim family and friends will think the same of you, and you will be responsible for wrecking her future. She will end up hating you for what you have led her into, and hating her family for the harship they may cause her after doing such an act.

If you actually cared, you would leave her.

-
Reply 67
Abu Umar

Be prepared for the day she wakes up to her Islaamic obligations, and realises her marriage to you has been invalid, and that she has been committing the sin of fornication for years and her children are illegitimate, and she leaves you.

It happens very often, and when it does, you should be prepared for the massive fallout.

A marriage between a muslim woman and non-muslim man is invalid. As a result, if she ever decides to explore and follow her religion more, she will realise that you are not her husband, and that she has been committing the major sin of fornication with you for many years. Unless you truly embrace Islaam (not doing it to stay married) then she will leave you.

Think of the fact that all her muslim family and friends will think the same of you, and you will be responsible for wrecking her future. She will end up hating you for what you have led her into, and hating her family for the harship they may cause her after doing such an act.

-

Ooooooor she's not quite so crazy as you so doesn't.

Have you not considered that maybe she's not as firm in faith as you? Or is more liberal and considers the rules may be more fluid? Or she has a different interpretation than you?

You insistence that this blokes muslim gf will eventually leave him, consider any commitments made to him invalid for the simple fact that you listen to different profits and have different spin on your religions, that she'd abandon a man she loves and the children she'd presumably love because of her own personal reawakwning of the batshi crazy parts of her faith is ludicrous. No sir, I think that if you have seen these things happen before then they are the result of cultural issues, pressure from the community and family, and guilt that she chose to do her own thing rather than being yoked to the tired old donkey that all fundamentalist religions preach. Wake up sir, this is a good time, a liberal time, a time when all should be equal, all should be free, all should have opportunities they would only have dreamt of. For the sake of our future, embrace the white man, embrace those of other religions and even of irreligion, embrace the West sir, we aren't bad people. Trust me, if all nations would simply accept each other and help each other then the world would be a better place. Please please learn some basic human tolerance

To the OP - it's been a year, you're clearly serious, assess the situation, determine whether her parents would be receptive to having you as part of the family and tell them if they are. Keeping it secret for longer, which even in a none religious situation would piss off many parents, will only do more harm

I apologise for the soapbox rant, it's 3.40am and tiredness makes me a tad preachy
Reply 68
Tsoert

Have you not considered that maybe she's not as firm in faith as you? Or is more liberal and considers the rules may be more fluid? Or she has a different interpretation than you?

You insistence that this blokes muslim gf will eventually leave him, consider any commitments made to him invalid for the simple fact that you listen to different profits and have different spin on your religions, that she'd abandon a man she loves and the children she'd presumably love because of her own personal reawakwning of the batshi crazy parts of her faith is ludicrous. No sir, I think that if you have seen these things happen before then they are the result of cultural issues, pressure from the community and family, and guilt that she chose to do her own thing rather than being yoked to the tired old donkey that all fundamentalist religions preach. Wake up sir, this is a good time, a liberal time, a time when all should be equal, all should be free, all should have opportunities they would only have dreamt of. For the sake of our future, embrace the white man, embrace those of other religions and even of irreligion, embrace the West sir, we aren't bad people. Trust me, if all nations would simply accept each other and help each other then the world would be a better place. Please please learn some basic human tolerance

To the OP - it's been a year, you're clearly serious, assess the situation, determine whether her parents would be receptive to having you as part of the family and tell them if they are. Keeping it secret for longer, which even in a none religious situation would piss off many parents, will only do more harm

I apologise for the soapbox rant, it's 3.40am and tiredness makes me a tad preachy

Eh, we're talking about Islam, and we all know what strict islamic followers are like don't we?
So not much wrong with what Abu Umar said, IF she decides to explore and become strict follower of Islam, they're over, and probably gonna be a massive drama.
Wake up OP, you need to realize the mess you're getting yourself into.
Reply 69
From the Christian point of view wouldn't she be doomed to an eternity in hell as she doesn't accept that Christ died for her sins ?

Just asking is all.
Reply 70
Try to get proffesional advice or has she a relative who would understand and try to help failing that converting to islam may be an option
Reply 71
Tsoert

You really should go to sleep as you cannot even read what I said.

I said if she decides to study and follow her religion more.

And no doubt, if she does follow it, what I said will happen.

Why get into a relationship where you may end up having a wife and kids who abandon you completely?

Imagine the feelings her family and friends will have towards her, as many of them will know how sinful it is for a muslim woman to marry a non-muslim man.

No doubt, if this happens, she will hate herself for tying herself up in a relationship that she wishes she never got into...and what kind of a future would that be.

Furthermore, I could not care less how liberal you are and how much you hate Islaam.

This is the reality, and if she comes closer to her religion, these are going to be the results.

-
Reply 72
miss_opinionated
Interesting:p: . Was it a second marriage. Or is he your best friends father?.

second marriage, and they had a mixed race baby aswell which the family was a bit errr to at first but its mostly cool now. however the white stepdad didnt go to his wife's father's funeral a few weeks back because there is still some awkwardness
Reply 73
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot barge pole tbh
Anonymous
Anonymous!
When would it be best to come out to her parents and tell them what we are? We're both university students.

Muslim families aren't appreciative of their children 'losing' their faith... it's not all that bad though; if it comes to marriage, her family can accept you as long as you are a fully practicing Christian - Islam allows a Muslim to marry a Christian under the circumstances that he/she practice their own religion fully and accordingly. Alternatively you can convert but it's all really up to you and the time will come when you have to tell her family, it's just up to you when you choose to do it.
Reply 75
This is why I wouldn't date a Muslim - it comes with so much family drama at the very least, and in bad cases violence and murder and stuff like that. Really can't be bothered dealing with that.

In your situation I wouldn't tell her family right away if I were you - keep it in until after uni. What if her family decides she's dishonoured them or something, and either cuts her funding for uni, or decides to withdraw her completely from your uni. No point risking this just for the sake of telling them.
I'd tell her to start acting mature, she's an adult, in an adult relationship- tell her to tell her parents, or drop her tbh. She's clearly not serious and acting rather immature about it..
Reply 77
Abu Umar

-

She's Muslim, but not very religious at the same time. She's offered to come to Church with me a few times and equally I have offered to go to Mosque (although this has never happened, I imagine it will some time).

Of course, I'm thinking what impact this will have on her in the long run but if I'll be honest she isn't the one to chase after guys; it's usually the other way around. However, I was an exception and she really wanted to be with me so it was her choice that started us getting together.

Tsoert

Thanks for the advice,

like I mentioned just above she was the one that got this relationship started.

I agree with a more liberal thinking when it comes to this stuff. Whats the point in separating people because of culture? I am not a bad person, I'm religious and would still embrace, accept, but not agree with Islamic teachings.
Reply 78
Subcutaneous
I'd tell her to start acting mature, she's an adult, in an adult relationship- tell her to tell her parents, or drop her tbh. She's clearly not serious and acting rather immature about it..

Act mature? You surely haven't read the previous posts then. It's not a simple "Should I tell my parents or not?", there's a potential big impact this would have on both of us if we came out just now.
Well by the situation, neither of you are taking your religion particularly seriously, so its not an issue of religion. Her parents aren't going to like it and there's not an awful lot you can do about that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending