The Student Room Group

Parents refusing to sign Student Finance/Accommodation papers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
well she shouldn't have gone on holiday then

:indiff:
lella_m
How much would that mean she'd get? (Applying with non-income assessed) Although, this may solve her student finance situation (which isn't brilliant considering her accommodation is £110pw) It doesn't solve her guarantor situation. :frown:

check this for amounts

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Applyingforthefirsttime/DG_171542

as xmarilynx pointed out we can assess independent status on a case by case basis - however since she has still been living with her parents and at the same time they arent supporting her, then its unlikely it would get independent status.

In this situation SFE will have to see some sort of evidence, and from her situation the most appropriate evidence would be a solicitors letter.

Having said that, she can still also apply to the university for extra funding via the access to learning fund which is intended for students facing difficult circumstances which may force them to quit their course.
xmarilynx
Actually I don't think that's always the case. I know my ex was classed as an independent student and managed to get the full loan grant by claiming there had been a family rift. He did live alone, but had only been supporting himself for one year, not three.

Edit: Their website makes it sound like they take it on a case by case basis:

I guess OP it would be worth ringing Student finance for their advice if you haven't already, and filling in a change of circumstances form.

She could ring them, but they would say the same thing; that they cant proceed without evidence.

SumTingWong

as xmarilynx pointed out we can assess independent status on a case by case basis - however since she has still been living with her parents and at the same time they arent supporting her, then its unlikely it would get independent status.

In this situation SFE will have to see some sort of evidence, and from her situation the most appropriate evidence would be a solicitors letter.

Having said that, she can still also apply to the university for extra funding via the access to learning fund which is intended for students facing difficult circumstances which may force them to quit their course.
Reply 23
Beg student finance to consider her an independent student is all i can think of?
gm15
Beg student finance to consider her an independent student is all i can think of?

begging wont really have much effect, without some sort of proof to back it up.
Reply 25
I had a similar problem to this (my dad was a idiot who never paid off his student loan and was worried that they'd "find him") so he refused to give out his information to them... I just got a civil partnership with my partner and now all is well and we've been happily married for a year and a half now =D

but on the point of this student, if you gotta get chucked out, go see a counselor, get help from people like that. main reason why is it get documented and you can have them give evidence to student finance that you are estranged to your parents, do this even after you start university, don't forget your finances are checked EVERY YEAR and you can always get a job for the first year (as the grade does not really matter for the first year).. and move out as soon as possible... living with hurtful people like that do you no good.
Reply 26
SumTingWong
begging wont really have much effect, without some sort of proof to back it up.

Didn't say it would work - just that its all i could think of at the time
Reply 27
Original post by lella_m
Okay, my friend (who doesn't speak English too well hence why I'm doing this for her) phoned me before, in tears as she cannot get accommodation at uni without a guarantor. The thing is, she has nobody who will be her guarantor as her parents refuse to sign for it. She has no immediate family bar her parents. They also refused to sign her Student Finance papers... What would one do in this situation? Is there a way around it?

The reason they are refusing to sign is not only because they are total dick bags. She's begged and begged... Hell, I've even begged them ffs.

They are having none of it and refuse to sign for anything. They aren't the nicest people in the world either. She has sort of been cast out from her family - she went on holiday back to the Philippines to see her old friends etc. without telling them until a week before. When she returned, they'd got rid of her bed and the majority of her belongings. Please don't say "well she shouldn't have gone on holiday then" as that will be of no help at all.

She's utterly distraught and has phoned the uni several times to no avail or help.

What do you suggest? Is there a way around it where your parents don't have to sign for anything...Surely there's an answer?

Please help guys, thanks. :smile:

I hope your friend solved the problem. I have the exact same problem....and tbh...forging their signature is the most stupid idea I have ever heard of. Because, you need their financial evidence to be submitted and not their signature....actually you don't need a signature at all.
My best advice is to ring student finance and tell them the problem and specially tell them that there has been a dispute with my parents etc and I have moved out so I am an independent person now. But, you really have to make them believe that there is no other option at all other than going alone. Then, the process will be preety easy.

And, as for accomodation, look for one where they don't need a garantaur. It should be easy.
Accommodation without a guarantor?
Good luck with that one!
Original post by RamonToor
I hope your friend solved the problem. I have the exact same problem....and tbh...forging their signature is the most stupid idea I have ever heard of. Because, you need their financial evidence to be submitted and not their signature....actually you don't need a signature at all.
My best advice is to ring student finance and tell them the problem and specially tell them that there has been a dispute with my parents etc and I have moved out so I am an independent person now. But, you really have to make them believe that there is no other option at all other than going alone. Then, the process will be preety easy.

And, as for accomodation, look for one where they don't need a garantaur. It should be easy.

this thread is three years old
Original post by balotelli12
Accommodation without a guarantor?
Good luck with that one!

i didnt need one.
Reply 31
Original post by lella_m

The reason they are refusing to sign is not only because they are total dick bags. She's begged and begged... Hell, I've even begged them ffs.

"because they are total di.. bags" hahaha

oh man... What ever happened to the good old days of lella_m and co. on TSR? :cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending