The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

staytravel
For example from loughborough to Greenwich, or is it the type of degree and the final mark that counts?

Specifically surveying.

Also has anyone found themselves discriminated againts becuase of this?

Yes, it does, especially when you go from top->average or average->poor.

A first at Loughborough is better than a first at Greenwich - but a first at Greenwich might be better than a 2:2 at Loughborough? I'm not sure there, someone else might have an answer.

Also, it wouldn't be discrimination because discrimination is when the distinction between two people is unfair, ie deciding between two candidates on the colour of their skin. It's totally fair to decide between two candidates based on how good their education was - the person who went to the better uni probably knows a lot more.
i really hope it matters because 300 miles is quite a distance to travel for something that i could get 3 miles down the road.
Graduate employers will discriminate on any basis they can.
Reply 4
vitamortis
Don't listen to the idiot above. A first is a first, regardless where it's from. Yes, granted, you may have some difficulty when going against an Oxbridge graduate, but any other university, it's the same. However, if you wish to go into investment banking, for instance, the reputation of the university you attended is going to be as important, if not more, than your subject matter or grade (from what I have heard, anyway).

I just can't quite see how a first from Lincoln can be like for like comparable with a first from Imperial. It is certainly better than a 2;2 from Imperial (or other top uni) but let us be reasonable here.
Dnator
I just can't quite see how a first from Lincoln can be like for like comparable with a first from Imperial. It is certainly better than a 2;2 from Imperial (or other top uni) but let us be reasonable here.

OK
vitamortis
Don't listen to the idiot above. A first is a first, regardless where it's from. Yes, granted, you may have some difficulty when going against an Oxbridge graduate, but any other university, it's the same. However, if you wish to go into investment banking, for instance, the reputation of the university you attended is going to be as important, if not more, than your subject matter or grade (from what I have heard, anyway).

The problem is that Loughborough is actually relatively near Oxbridge - according to the Guardian it's the 9th best university in the UK:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-league-table
Whilst Greenwich is the 102nd best - there's quite a big difference in perceived quality there and an employer would, all other things being equal, be more likely to choose the Loughborough educated student than the Greenwich one, especially in this economic downturn.

Of course league tables are relative, but in many cases they're how the employers work out which universities are better, even subconsciously.
Reply 7
vitamortis
OK

Well you always say things like 'a degree is a degree' or 'a first is a first'. Do you actually believe that?
Reply 8
Bakes0011
The problem is that Loughborough is actually relatively near Oxbridge - according to the Guardian it's the 9th best university in the UK:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-league-table
Whilst Greenwich is the 102nd best - there's quite a big difference in perceived quality there and an employer would, all other things being equal, be more likely to choose the Loughborough educated student than the Greenwich one, especially in this economic downturn.

Of course league tables are relative, but in many cases they're how the employers work out which universities are better, even subconsciously.

While I was happy with warwick being 3rd in that table, it is a bit of a joke. Manchester not even top 50.
Reply 9
staytravel
For example from loughborough to Greenwich, or is it the type of degree and the final mark that counts?

Specifically surveying.

Also has anyone found themselves discriminated againts becuase of this?

i will only focus on your highlighted question: Does going to a lower ranked Uni effect future employment?

And my answer would state: It depends...

A top ranked uni may not always have the most well regarded course for each particular subject. Therefore uni B may be ranked lower than uni A overall, but may be higher ranked for a particular subject area than uni A...

Now having stated that, it may also depend on your targeted area of future employment... for Law if you desire to get in a Magic Circle or similar type law firm, than for the most part a well regarded law school should be your goal, because it means getting your foot in the door, (all other things being equal) will be easier... because with those hiring, prestige (whatever that means) matters...

For medical school it is the complete opposite, the bottleneck is getting into medical school... not so much where you attend uni...

Hope this helps
Reply 10
Bakes0011
Yes, it does, especially when you go from top->average or average->poor.

A first at Loughborough is better than a first at Greenwich - but a first at Greenwich might be better than a 2:2 at Loughborough? I'm not sure there, someone else might have an answer.

Also, it wouldn't be discrimination because discrimination is when the distinction between two people is unfair, ie deciding between two candidates on the colour of their skin. It's totally fair to decide between two candidates based on how good their education was - the person who went to the better uni probably knows a lot more.

Have you got a source that shows that?

ie that candidates of the same caliber (ie same A Level marks) from unis far ish aprt from either other in league tables have different employment prospects?
Dnator
While I was happy with warwick being 3rd in that table, it is a bit of a joke. Manchester not even top 50.

Fine, look at the Times as well, Loughborough 15, Greenwich 91 (and Manchester 26).

Remember that these tables are all calculated algorithmically rather than by word of mouth, taking into account drop-out rates etc
Reply 12
Bakes0011

Source?
Dnator
Well you always say things like 'a degree is a degree' or 'a first is a first'. Do you actually believe that?

Yes. My friend graduated from Westminster with a first in Biochemistry, did an MSc in Immunology at Imperial, and will be starting a PhD in Virology at Southampton in October. If Westminster University is so inadequate, and by your standards, useless, why was he accepted onto an MSc at Imperial?

There's more to life than which university you ******* attend.
wasn't too long till someone brought out a league table :p:

anyway shouldn't a degree in the surveying area be accredited, meaning that they have to follow and keep a good standard over wise they will lose that, and that if being accredited is more important to what you want to do
Reply 15
Bakes0011
Fine, look at the Times as well, Loughborough 15, Greenwich 91 (and Manchester 26).

Remember that these tables are all calculated algorithmically rather than by word of mouth, taking into account drop-out rates etc

They are calculated based on an evaluation criteria the papers set up.

I could setup a league table of premiership football teams where attendance is far more highly weighted than goals scored/points won and Newcastle may well be very high up it.

How would the drop out rate for a course say anything about about a graduate from that course for example?
Reply 16
vitamortis
Yes. My friend graduated from Westminster with a first in Biochemistry, did an MSc in Immunology at Imperial, and will be starting a PhD in Virology at Southampton in October. If Westminster University is so inadequate, and by your standards, useless, why was he accepted onto an MSc at Imperial?

There's more to life than which university you ******* attend.

If the OP asked the question, will going to a lower ranked uni affect my prospects of getting accepted into a masters program at a higher ranked uni, that would have been slightly different.
And yes, though you do seem to have some sort of problem with whole thing.
Reply 17
vitamortis
why was he accepted onto an MSc at Imperial?

The money he paid them...?
I think experience will almost always outweigh the reputation of the university. So really, I doubt it matters.
Quady
The money he paid them...?

Yes, now offer them the same amount of money, but with a third class degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending