The Student Room Group

Business Management as a degree? GOOD OR BAD?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rolly
I do a business management degree at a good university, it is not a doss/poo/useless/waste of time of whatever you want to call it degree. In fact it is actually quite a good degree to do if you do it at the right university as it can be very well rounded and broad, giving you plenty of options afterwards. However, I will happily admit, that if finance and investment is what you want to do, then economics or maths may look more favourable. That doesn't mean you have to do that though, and in fact, there is no point doing them just because you think you should. It is better to do a degree that you feel happier and more comfortable about as you will do better in it. What's the point in struggling with a degree that you don't like, its better to have a 1st or 2:1 in something like business managment than a 2:2 or third in economics.

Also, it is not just the degree that matters!! On BBC news the other week I heard that there 70 graduates to every place, which is a lot. Whilst some degree's may seem better to do, doesn't mean you will get the job. With so many people with degree's out there you have to differentiate yourself, show initiative and enthusiam for your career. Placement's will be the key. Get a good relevant placement and you are on to a winner. Not only will this differentiate you from the rest of the pack, it will also give you knowledge and experience, and this is what companies like most. At the end of the day, whilst a degree is good, it's sad to say that they just don't carry the same clout as they used to, if anything, they are now seen as a minimum requirement for many jobs. Also, as well a internships/placements, look at investment qualifications etc. If you want to go into this area you will most likely need to have some qualifications, and whilst most companies will help you with them, it looks better to already have them, or some of them before you graduate.

Do what you think is right for you, not what you think you ought to do. Also, think outside your degree. I speak from experience, choosing the wrong degree at the wrong place, leaving before I finished my first year, and wasting that year. I then chose something I wanted to do, and am now much happier and doing much better.

Hope this helps,
Tom

excellent post mate, really helpful :smile: x
Reply 21
Hi to all you business management discussion people out there, I have been accepted for management with joint honours French or management with marketing...... Any thoughts on which choice I should go for?......and nooooooo I don't want to do finance or accounting or anything related to figures........
Reply 22
Original post by super123
Anyone who doubts the prestige of this particular degree or is unsure about the outstanding career prospects it leads to should have a look at the 4 documents that I have attached onto this thread. They were taken out of a document called "What Do Graduates Do", which is the largest independent study of graduate destinations in the UK.

The results clearly speak for themselves, and illustrate the success Business Management degree holders have achieved. If you still doubt the degree then contact me on [email protected] and I will be happy to provide further evidence.

P.S. Unfortunately I could not attach the "What Do Graduates Do" PDF file onto this thread due to it being 7MB. But you can easily download the PDF file and read through it on this link http://www.prospects.ac.uk/assets/assets/documents/wdgd_2010.pdf. Access page number 68 for the section on Business Management.

By the way I bet the people sensitizing this degree have finally shut up after viewing the EVIDENCE I have provided!.

That doesn't say **** all about their career destinations, just what sort of job they go into...seriously though, an employer is always going to go with an econ grad over a business grad anyday...Business is just not respected at all unless (maybe...) done at a top uni. You don't even need to do a degree in business to be able to even run a business or anything...it's just a bull**** degree (and I used to want to do a Management degree but I've changed my mind....!)
Reply 23
After reading my reply, viewing the images attached, and going through the PDF file, I bet you will regret saying "seconded".

Anyone who doubts the prestige of this particular degree or is unsure about the outstanding career prospects it leads to should have a look at the 4 documents that I have attached onto this thread. They were taken out of a document called "What Do Graduates Do", which is the largest independent study of graduate destinations in the UK.

The results clearly speak for themselves, and illustrate the success Business Management degree holders have achieved. If you still doubt the degree then contact me on [email protected] and I will be happy to provide further evidence.

P.S. Unfortunately I could not attach the "What Do Graduates Do" PDF file onto this thread due to it being 7MB. But you can easily download the PDF file and read through it on this link http://www.prospects.ac.uk/assets/assets/documents/wdgd_2010.pdf. Access page number 68 for the section on Business Management.

By the way I bet the people criticising this degree have finally shut up after viewing the EVIDENCE I have provided!.

Sorry to point this out, but after having seen that you've raped 10 threads posting the same thing, I've deduced 3 things.

1. You have no life
2. You are VERY insecure of yourself and
3. You are NOT very smart lol!
YOU TALK ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. I CAN PROVE IT TO YOU THAT BUSINESS MANAGEMENT IS ONE OF THE MOST EMPLOYABLE AND RESPECTED UNDERGRADUATE DEGREES. I HAVE OFFICIAL DATA CONDUCTED BY THREE INDEPENDENT ORGANISATIONS, WHICH SHOWS THAT IN 2009, NEARLY 69% OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENT GRADUATES SECURED A JOB WITHIN SIX MONTHS OF GRADUATION. THIS PERCENTAGE IS FAR HIGHER THAN THE ONES FOR OTHER DEGREES SUCH AS LAW, ENGINEERING ETC. I ALSO HAVE A LIST OF ENDLESS JOB POSITIONS, WHICH BUSINESS MANAGEMENT GRADUATES HAVE SECURED. I AM MORE THAN HAPPY, ACTUALLY I INSIST THAT YOU CONTACT ME ON '[email protected]' IN ORDER TO REQUEST THIS ACCURATE DATA. I WILL PROVIDE IT TO YOU INSTANTLY, AS I HAVE GOT NOTHING TO HIDE. AND MOST OF THE TOP UNIS ASK FOR AT LEAST AAB FOR BUSINESS MANAGEMENT SO PLEASE CONDUCT SOME RESEARCH BEFORE COMING TO A CONCLUSION.

Jus saw this again and I admit I made a terribly ignorant post... but creepy much? :eek:
I think study for business management would have been good decision. Business management field is very large and opportunities and scopes are also huge. If you told about degree course, so it would be very fine. There are some online degree courses available which are offered buy well known universities and institutes.
Hi this is completely off topic but I want to say

What do you guys think of the course Operating Department Practice? It's not really a degree, but I want to know is it worth doing it?
Business management is a great degree. It prepares you for the real world than many other degrees.
Anything is decent, as long as you get to a top uni for it.
Original post by KimYoona
Hi this is completely off topic but I want to say

What do you guys think of the course Operating Department Practice? It's not really a degree, but I want to know is it worth doing it?

What does it relate to?
What is it like studying a business managment degree?
What are the chances of getting a job with a degree in Business from The University Of Birmingham.
Reply 32
Wouldn't studying it at kings be good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well IMO it's a bit like doing BTEC business or health & social care!!!
I've just been accepted onto this at the University of Hull. I chose it as one of my options simply because I don't have any real clear idea of what I want to do after graduating, I just know I don't want to be getting 'told' what to do by some little Hitler. This degree seems like it'd be quite Chameleonic in that it appears you could apply for an abundance of different jobs and the pass to finding work rate seems pretty high compared to most I've seen, and I don't really want to pigeon-hole myself into one specific industry. I'd ideally like to work abroad and get out of post Brexit Britain (as far away from bumbling Boris as possible) and hopefully this would open the right doors into hotel management or something similar, anything that'd mean I'm getting paid and living in free accommodation, while being somewhere warm would be fantastic. I already speak German pretty fluently so I'd imagine that'd be a help being as whenever I go away it's either English or Germans I see/hear in large quantities. By and large the Germans speak English pretty well if not fluently but, not all do so I'd hope it'd be an extra string to my bow.

After reading the thread I'm quite satisfied I won't be wasting my time on a useless degree at least. Of the 4 choices I picked, business management was the one I fancied least. I'll happily take it and give it my best though, having A degree beats having none and it won't affect my part time job at all so...
So who earns more now?! 🍿
Original post by manwithaplan
I'm sure if you have good work experience, get a good grade (2:1 or 1st) as well as other things then you'll go far.
My mate is adamant that he'll be earning more than me in 10 years, He's doing a Business Management degree at Southampton Solent and I'm doing Law and Sociology at a top uni. Then again he's an arrogant ****.

So who earns more now?? 🍿
Original post by iheartmondays
Hi everyone, I'm currently looking at doing Business Management as a degree. I would like to go to Queen Mary University to study. Hopefully enter the world of finance, investment banking etc.

However, I'm a bit scared! Is it worth getting a degree in Business Management? Do graduates get a good job? **** degree or respectable degree.... :smile:

Thanks x

Hi, I'm just going into the second year of my degree in Business Management with the Open uni. As a 46-year-old who is now disabled and can't work but used to be an area manager for blue-chip restaurant and pub brands, and someone who has worked as a manager for 25+ year's I am constantly learning on this course yes there is stuff that I've covered on training courses throughout the years and with the finance, I did have a bit of a head start with understanding some of the theory but I have not had to do advanced math for a very long time (left school in 1990). I am taking the accountancy route in my second and third year 2 off my friends who are chartered accountants and work for very well known accounting/ audit firms can not deliver the level of the study and intensity as well as the difficulty of what we have to cover as well as how advanced the work is. If you compare the AAT to your degree, in one year of your degree it is sen you will do more bookkeeping than on the professional accounting qualification. I am heading for a 2.1 with grades of 71-74 on all of my essays. A degree is something to be proud of and people who **** any achievement off just achieve what you need to do trust me life is short money is not every thing, work-life and the relationships you make at uni and the experience is as important as the study, business is about networking make connections whilst you are there. There are people with 1st from Oxford etc without jobs so don't listen to naysayers just do your best and enjoy good luck smash it from someone a little bit older he's enjoying the opportunity to do his degree.
Original post by iheartmondays
Hi everyone, I'm currently looking at doing Business Management as a degree. I would like to go to Queen Mary University to study. Hopefully enter the world of finance, investment banking etc.

However, I'm a bit scared! Is it worth getting a degree in Business Management? Do graduates get a good job? **** degree or respectable degree.... :smile:

Thanks x

Hello,

I am studying International Business Management at the RAU and I think it is worth getting a degree. At the RAU, 90% of postgraduates are in employment within six months of leaving, so you could check out the employment percentage for your uni.

Hope this is helpful.

Lauren :smile:
Royal Agricultural University Rep
Original post by manwithaplan
I'm sure if you have good work experience, get a good grade (2:1 or 1st) as well as other things then you'll go far.
My mate is adamant that he'll be earning more than me in 10 years, He's doing a Business Management degree at Southampton Solent and I'm doing Law and Sociology at a top uni. Then again he's an arrogant ****.

Howd it pan out then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending