The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Madness in women in the period is an interesting enough topic, and critically trendy after Gilbert and Gubar's book. It is a lot to do with how feminity was portrayed.

Your point is a good one, as I think that Collins very much wanted the opening scene (with Hartright encountering the ghostly figure before she is re-captured) and wrote the novel around that. Also, Anne Catherick as a double for Laura Fairlie is an interesting way to think about it.
Reply 2
MSB
Madness in women in the period is an interesting enough topic, and critically trendy after Gilbert and Gubar's book. It is a lot to do with how feminity was portrayed.

Your point is a good one, as I think that Collins very much wanted the opening scene (with Hartright encountering the ghostly figure before she is re-captured) and wrote the novel around that. Also, Anne Catherick as a double for Laura Fairlie is an interesting way to think about it.

Thank you for your help :smile: I ordered the book written by Gilbert and Gubar so I hope to get some more ideas

Latest

Trending

Trending