The Student Room Group

Confuesed about clearing requirement

Hey guys, I missed my offer so I'm going through clearing right now.

I saw abertay dundee had a course I wanted to do - http://www.abertay.ac.uk/studying/find/ug/biosc/

But on their requirements it says this:

Higher BBBC; A Level CCD; ILC (H) B2B2C2C2; UCAS Tariff 216-220 points*
*See below for UCAS Tariff guidance

Essential subjects: Biology/Human Biology is preferred, with Chemistry or Physics.

I have Biology AND Human Biology but don't have Chemistry OR Physics.

I don't have BBBC(I have BCCCC :o: )but I have 290 UCAS Tariff points.

Would that still get me in?
Brokenkey
Hey guys, I missed my offer so I'm going through clearing right now.

I saw abertay dundee had a course I wanted to do - http://www.abertay.ac.uk/studying/find/ug/biosc/

But on their requirements it says this:

Would that still get me in?

It seems unlikely, if physics and chemistry are judged essential as they seem to be (and lots of tariff points across too many subjects isn't always acceptable either). But you need to ask.
Brokenkey

The use of the word 'preferred' implies that they're not really 'essential'. Having both biology and human biology might be ok, or maybe if you have maths you could argue that you demonstrate you have mathematical ability in lieu of physics.

Really, you would need to ask them.

That does appear ambiguous - I would think that it means you have to have met 216/220 UCAS points from four Highers (have you?) ... but it's not very clear. Again, best people to ask is them. Also ask about not offering BBBC, but offering more qualifications than they ask for - some unis in Clearing are flexible with qualifications.

However, they also say this under the UCAS Tariff Guidance section:
you cannot count the same or similar qualifications twice

Because it is listed as biology/human biology, the two might be counted as too similar. That might mean you can only include one of them in your UCAS point total, probably the higher grading one. What do you have if you discount your lowest grade from biology and human biology?
Reply 3
TheSownRose
The use of the word 'preferred' implies that they're not really 'essential'. Having both biology and human biology might be ok, or maybe if you have maths you could argue that you demonstrate you have mathematical ability in lieu of physics.

Really, you would need to ask them.

That does appear ambiguous - I would think that it means you have to have met 216/220 UCAS points from four Highers (have you?) ... but it's not very clear. Again, best people to ask is them. Also ask about not offering BBBC, but offering more qualifications than they ask for - some unis in Clearing are flexible with qualifications.

However, they also say this under the UCAS Tariff Guidance section:

Because it is listed as biology/human biology, the two might be counted as too similar. That might mean you can only include one of them in your UCAS point total, probably the higher grading one. What do you have if you discount your lowest grade from biology and human biology?

The 290 is without counting the similar subjects, it would be 405 with. And from four Highers I'd have (Advanced Higher C: 90 points + 3x Higher C: 50 points each) = 240.
Brokenkey
The 290 is without counting the similar subjects, it would be 405 with. And from four Highers I'd have (Advanced Higher C: 90 points + 3x Higher C: 50 points each) = 240.

But you don't offer either of physics or chemistry, one of which appears to be essential.
Why don't you give them a ring, can't hurt surely? :smile:
Reply 6
Good bloke
But you don't offer either of physics or chemistry, one of which appears to be essential.

I think that's what I was expecting.

These two have just been added too:

http://www.abertay.ac.uk/studying/find/ug/forpsych/

Higher BBC; A Level CC; ILC (H) BBC; UCAS Tariff 168 points*
*See UCAS Tariff Guidance below
Essential subjects: literate subject (e.g. English) and a science subject.

I have both English and a science subject.

And

http://www.abertay.ac.uk/studying/find/ug/forsc/

Higher BBCC; A Level CCD; ILC (H) B2B2C2C2; UCAS Tariff 216-220 points*
*See UCAS Tariff Guidance below
Essential subjects: an appropriate science (e.g. chemistry, biology).

I have the Biology.

Do you think I'd have more chance with these two even though I don't make the BBCC, but have the Tarriff points.
Good bloke

But the actual word is uses is 'preferred' ... unless that's just applying to the biology/human biology (so one of chemistry or physics is essential, and they also would ideally like a biology-based subjects)..? :unsure:
TheSownRose
But the actual word is uses is 'preferred' ... unless that's just applying to the biology/human biology (so one of chemistry or physics is essential, and they also would ideally like a biology-based subjects)..? :unsure:

The only sensible way to understand

Essential subjects: Biology/Human Biology is preferred, with Chemistry or Physics

is that one of chemistry or physics is essential and candidates offering a biology subject as well will have an advantage
Brokenkey
I think that's what I was expecting.

These two have just been added too:

I have both English and a science subject.

And

I have the Biology.

Do you think I'd have more chance with these two even though I don't make the BBCC, but have the Tarriff points.

I expect so, but you need to call them in all cases.
Good bloke
The only sensible way to understand

is that one of chemistry or physics is essential and candidates offering a biology subject as well will have an advantage

The more I read it, the more I think it is. However, I would still argue that it is a little unclear and open to interpretation, especially when you look on the UCAS profile and it says:

Subjects and grades required: Biology or Chemistry.

Here.

So really, I don't know what to make of it. :dontknow:
aprilterri
Hi
I was wandering if you are an English student and you flop you exams, am I correct in understanding that an 'add clearing button' will appear from the 5th- 11th or will it only appear on the 19th (results day)?

The latter.
TheSownRose
The more I read it, the more I think it is. However, I would still argue that it is a little unclear and open to interpretation, especially when you look on the UCAS profile and it says:

Here.

So really, I don't know what to make of it. :dontknow:

Yes, I was relying on the OP's quotation of the requirements, which may have been a mistake. More muddy water in the great river of life.

Latest

Trending

Trending