The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
booraad
I would say so. Scientists tend to be a liberal bunch.

Riiight because left wing=liberal and right wing doesn't at all.
im so academic
:lolwut:

Please tell me you're joking...

The rest of TSR asks this every time you post.....

Irony much?
What a strange topic.
Barden
Why do you even bother posting your views on this forum? You clearly think that whatever you say is 100% undeniably true, so why do you seek validation?

The other user said something that was totally ridiculous and had to be told.
Right left dichotomy isn't helpful.
Reply 45
ume132
Riiight because left wing=liberal and right wing doesn't at all.

I suppose I mean socially liberal. I'm not too sure about the economics side in relation to how scientists sway - although there are probably many angry scientists battling for funding, who wish they didn't have to compete with others.
around
One of my (maths) lecturers is incredibly left wing. He hates Thatcher and at the start of one series of lecture courses played various parodies of 'Common People' by Pulp denigrating the Conservatives in the run-up to the general election. We had a lecture on voting day; he basically ended it by telling us 'don't vote Tory'.

I don't think many people did.

What a ****. He is in no position to influence vulnerable and undeveloped minds. What uni is this by the way?
Reply 47
around
One of my (maths) lecturers is incredibly left wing. He hates Thatcher and at the start of one series of lecture courses played various parodies of 'Common People' by Pulp denigrating the Conservatives in the run-up to the general election. We had a lecture on voting day; he basically ended it by telling us 'don't vote Tory'.

Well, math students tend to be the brightest.
Engineering = left wing.
usainlightning
The other user said something that was totally ridiculous and had to be told.

People in glass houses... :teehee:
Reply 50
usainlightning
What a ****. He is in no position to influence vulnerable and undeveloped minds. What uni is this by the way?

Cambridge.

'vulnerable and undeveloped'? I can accept that argument with 5/6/7 year olds, but by the age of 18-19 you should already have your own ideas and it shouldn't matter too much what anyone else says.

Also are you seriously proposing that political satire is propaganda?
tomheppy
Right left dichotomy isn't helpful.

Essentially this.

If I was slightly quicker at reading I would have beat you to it.
Reply 52
Majority of students on my course are left wing but there are a fair few who are on the right. Although I don't think they know what they're on about half the time so it's hard to tell for sure :ninja:
around

If he's so left wing, wouldn't it be politically incorrect to do this? :rolleyes:

Some left wingers can be so entertaining, especially when you get the more radical bunch trying to defend communism :cookie:

Not all of them though, some are just downright annoying.

The case with a lot of right wingers too though, I must admit...

But honestly, if its a Maths course, then trying to shove the left wing down people's throats is just bound to leave a bad taste in your mouth. Somehow I also doubt that he was being totally fair in his argument, firstly its obviously going to be biased and he's probably just phrasing things to persuade you not to vote tory. It's just his point of view; the tory party probably doesn't benefit him, whereas it does to a lot of other people. That part of the country is extremely tory anyway.
vander Beth
:lol:

I don't get the Aero Eng thing. :hmmm:
Reply 55
Economics should produce centrists/pragmatists.
around

:mad:

Which university is this?

How sad.
joshphillips999

Some left wingers can be so entertaining, especially when you get the more radical bunch trying to defend communism :cookie:

:rofl:

Lol, what were their arguments?
Reply 58
joshphillips999
If he's so left wing, wouldn't it be politically incorrect to do this? :rolleyes:

No, because the term 'political correctness' is now mainly used by little Englanders trying to protest that they can't now have a good game of hunt the darkie without it being 'political correctness gone mad'.

'health and safety gone mad' is also a common phrase in use.
Reply 59
im so academic
:mad:

Which university is this?

How sad.

Cambridge.

Also sad? Most of the room found it pretty funny.

Latest

Trending

Trending