The Student Room Group

Uni level physics

Hey I want to apply for Physics this year and was just wondering if anyone whos done their first year has any books they would recommend with the maths involved in the first year, so I can learn a bit about it before I start. Textbook or whatever as long as it has the maths in it :smile:

Also if anyone has any uni-level gravity physics books they know are quite good could you let me know? For my coursework, cheeeeers :wink:
you can try: halliday, resnick and walker. they provide good explanations!
Reply 2
The recommended textbook for the first year at King's College London is University Physics with Modern Physics (Hugh D. Young, Roger A. Freedman, and Lewis Ford). I found it to be very good, just the right level and it covers some of the maths as well.
There wasn't a recommended text for the mathematics module, but the (TERRIBLE) notes that the lecturer provided can be found here. For the mechanics part the book was Classical Mechanics (R. Douglas Gregory). I found the maths very very hard, but a book called The Calculus Lifesaver (Adrian Banner) was quite helpful with this.
Look around the websites of some universities and you can probably find some better notes provided the lecturers.
Reply 3
thanks guys I'll have a look :smile:
Reply 4
Mary L. Boas, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, Wiley International Edition. Almost all the maths covered in the entire degree was in this book.

K. A. Stroud, Further Engineering Mathematics would probably be more accessible start. It has examples and worked through solutions.
Reply 5
The book recomended by the department I was in was Boas, but I found that Riley was a lot more useful.
Stroud is more towards engineer so I would not recommend it, does not really cover more advanced topic.

The classical mechanics book, I would only recommend Kleppner "Introduction to Mechanics"

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Mechanics-Daniel-Kleppner/dp/0521198216/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282100013&sr=1-13

That should answer your call for gravity.

Latest

Trending

Trending