The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MrHappy_J
you're kidding, right?

who are the people that have dominated most aspects of society until recently? that's right, men.

who are the people more likely to get high-paid jobs and long life careers? again, men.

Many women don't want long life careers lol. Many women in high payed careers meet a guy in a similar one, and retire to have kids and have fun, while the man works and pays.

HAve you ever considered that given the option many women have no desire to work 12 hour days 5 days a week and have a stress filled life?
oscarwildelike
Many women don't want long life careers lol. Many women in high payed careers meet a guy in a similar one, and retire to have kids and have fun, while the man works and pays.

HAve you ever considered that given the option many women have no desire to work 12 hour days 5 days a week and have a stress filled life?

Yes, and there are also many women who are not prepared to give up their careers and become financially dependent on a man. Have you ever considered that possibility?
kratos90
Don't respond to missygeorgia, seriously, she's not a feminist, she's a man-hating lesbian. She practically admitted in another thread she doesn't give a **** about men.

missygeorgia is one of the few people on this thread who actually talks sense.
MrHappy_J
Yes, and there are also many women who are not prepared to give up their careers and become financially dependent on a man. Have you ever considered that possibility?

Yes, but there aren't as many of them.
Reply 64
MrHappy_J
missygeorgia is one of the few people on this thread who actually talks sense.

As a man-hating lesbian yourself, you would say that :rolleyes:
Reply 65
davidmarsh01
What if you think there shouldn't be a quota at all and just let the parties and voters decide who is best to represent them? :colonhash:

It was mostly a hypothetical situation. This is still very much the best idea!
Reply 66
Feminism is the same as religion imo.
Reply 67
Craig_D
It was mostly a hypothetical situation. This is still very much the best idea!

Phew, that's good to know!
oscarwildelike
Yes, but there aren't as many of them.

and how do you know that?

if you can provide any meaningful evidence to support this statement, then go ahead. Otherwise, gtfo.

Even if it was true, that doesnt mean that we don't need laws concerning equal opportunities in the workplace.

The level of sexism on this thread is astounding.
kratos90
As a man-hating lesbian yourself, you would say that :rolleyes:

as a woman hating homosexual yourself, you would say that missygeorgia is a man-hating lesbian. :rolleyes:

have you actually read any of her posts? or do you just assume she's a man hating lesbian because she claims to be a feminist? what she says seems quite reasonable to me.
MrHappy_J
and how do you know that?

if you can provide any meaningful evidence to support this statement, then go ahead. Otherwise, gtfo.

Even if it was true, that doesnt mean that we don't need laws concerning equal opportunities in the workplace.

The level of sexism on this thread is astounding.

Because, as you said, men far outnumber women in high payed top roles in most jobs. As it is illegal to discriminate on sex in the workplace, it follows that either not as many women want the top roles, or they are not as able as men.

What laws on equal oppertunities should their be in the workplace?

Read my response to MissyGs post in this thread, it as I showed in my last post quoting her she clearly is n ot making much sense. If either of you want to address my points there go ahead, but if not stop suggesting she is talking sense and start saying she is saying refuted rubbish.
oscarwildelike
Because, as you said, men far outnumber women in high payed top roles in most jobs. As it is illegal to discriminate on sex in the workplace, it follows that either not as many women want the top roles, or they are not as able as men.

What laws on equal oppertunities should their be in the workplace?

Read my response to MissyGs post in this thread, it as I showed in my last post quoting her she clearly is n ot making much sense. If either of you want to address my points there go ahead, but if not stop suggesting she is talking sense and start saying she is saying refuted rubbish.

er...sexual discrimination in the workplace still exists, whether it is illegal or not. it would be foolish, not to mention sexist, to assume that women are not capable of fulfilling these roles or do not want them.
MrHappy_J
have you actually read any of her posts? or do you just assume she's a man hating lesbian because she claims to be a feminist? what she says seems quite reasonable to me.

I would imagine it's down to the fact that every time a thread gives her the opportunity to bash men she's there without fail.

MrHappy_J
er...sexual discrimination in the workplace still exists, whether it is illegal or not. it would be foolish, not to mention sexist, to assume that women are not capable of fulfilling these roles or do not want them.

Bosses generally don't want to hire people for important (ergo highly paid) positions who may decide to up and go on maternity leave for a year.
Sexist or not, it's the sort of thing that can destroy a small business.

Anyway, these things go both ways, I left one of my previous jobs because a new female boss came in and was getting through the process of sacking all the men and hiring women to replace them. I jumped before I was pushed. When she came in it was 11 men 10 women, when I left it was 2 men 20 women. Not suggesting all women bosses are like that, but you get sexism in both directions in business.
TShadow383
I would imagine it's down to the fact that every time a thread gives her the opportunity to bash men she's there without fail.

she posts on threads related to feminism, so what? all it shows is that she's interested in the topic.
Reply 74
MrHappy_J
This is a ridiculous suggestion, seeing as the vast majority of MP's are men anyway. It would mean that some male MP's would have to be sacked, with the excuse of "sorry, but we have exceeded the minimun quota of 40%". :rolleyes:

Let's face it, if a thread like this was created about the black civil rights movement, people would be screaming "RACIST". But because it's feminism we're talking about, and of course all feminists are man-haters (!), it's perfectly acceptable to look at it from a non-tolerant perspective and the person in question will never get any negative feedback at all.

You know what minimum means yeh? It means that they would have to have atleast that percentage.. anything over that would be a bonus.
MrHappy_J
she posts on threads related to feminism, so what? all it shows is that she's interested in the topic.

However her posts in said topics have shown her to be opposed to equality of the sexes and just as someone who hates men.
MrHappy_J

It would be neither foolish or sexist to suggest that some women are not good enough for top roles and that some women do not want these rules - just as it would not be foolish or sexist to suggest that some men are not good enough for top roles or that some men do not want these roles.

The word women does not mean all women lol.

Where is your evidence for sexual discrimination in the workplace?
oscarwildelike
It would be neither foolish or sexist to suggest that some women are not good enough for top roles and that some women do not want these rules - just as it would not be foolish or sexist to suggest that some men are not good enough for top roles or that some men do not want these roles.

The word women does not mean all women lol.

Where is your evidence for sexual discrimination in the workplace?

some women, not all. I think it's safe to say that most women want some degree of success in the workplace.

and yes, by saying "women" you are implying that you're talking about "all women", in general.

what's my evidence? what about the gender pay gap?
Reply 78
What annoys me is that today, men get degrading roles in adverts, cleaning ones like this :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZvSS8CXTsw&feature=related nobody kicks a fuss. However if a woman struts around in her bra and knickers (Which back in the day was promoted by feminists) women (usually feminists) cause a media storm claiming it's sexist. I just don't get it these days.

I mean, I don't care about the male advert, it's not paticularly funny and I don't think it actually did the company that made it any favors, it doesn't really offend me more than any other advert, but if it was the other way around I don't doubt for one minitue a storm would kick off. And if it was a racial thing, I.E. the guy was black/asian or whatever it would be even worse. That's not equality in my books. But whatever.
Reply 79
oscarwildelike
The sort of equality some feminist want is never going to be achieved successfully, because women and men are not equal in desire. Feminists want an easily packaged equality: 'look, the same number of men and women do everything'; but this is clearly ridiculous. Men and women want different things, men and women are not the same and as such there are going to be differences.

True equality is if a women wants to do something being able to do it without her sex helping or hindering her, not an equal amount of men and women doing the same thing.

Thats the best way Ive heard it put and I think most people lose site of that. + rep :smile: