The Student Room Group

Crashing an Advanced Higher - Possible?

I'm just going into 6th year and I've chosen two Advanced Highers that I really want to study - Latin & Computing. However, there's a third space and I have no clue what to do. I'd be interested in crashing Advanced Higher Classics. Is that possible, or would the workload be too huge to do remotely well in? Should I just stick with another Advanced I got an A in at Higher?

I got 5A's at Higher, so my being a good student isn't one of the difficulties for the school. I just would like to know if it's worth my time and/or effort.

Help would be appreciated :wink:
All depends what one you'd want to crash. Of course crashing any AH is possible, but it would be a rediculous amount of of work, and considering you're also doing 2 other AH's, you'll have little time. You'd have to go back and learn all the higher and SG stuff very quickly before beginning.

I suppose if you'd started to learn the higher and SG stuff during the summer, that would have taken the load of for the rest of the year.

So basically it comes down to what subject you'd want to crash, and what you'd want to do after school/at uni.

Edit: Silly me, you want to do AH Classics...
Reply 2
Depends. Does your school already do AH Classics?

I wasn't allowed to do AH Applied Maths because it wasn't taught already so no one could correct any NABs.

But If you fairly fluent in Latin and good at languages and history then yeah you probably could. If its anything like AH sciences you end up teaching yourself half the course anyway so adding most of a higher to that wouldn't be much!
It's possible, I think, if you put a lot of work in to it. I've only ever crashed a Higher, but the principle is the same, I suppose: start from scratch with a subject that assumes you have a prior taught knowledge. If it helps, I performed better than the majority of the class, who had all taken the subject before and managed an A. Advanced will be like that, but about five times more difficult.. But then, I don't know much about Classics, maybe the Advanced is completely different from the Higher?
I've only ever heard of a few successful crashes of Advanced Highers: most of which have been art. Give it some thought though, definitely!
Reply 4
It's definately possible. One of my friends crashed AH Modern Studies and got an A.
Reply 5
No. If you attempt such a feat you will invoke the apocalypse.
^^ Hahahah pedro bear :P

erm... There is no reasons you couldnt... It really depends on the kinda person you are. I mean if your the type that waltzed relaxedly through your highers getting high grades then you will probably not have much trouble. If you got a mixed bag however perhaps you should rethink... This isnt a problem for you clearly.

Also important is your range of subjects. If you did say H History and Mods last year then you can probably write a reasonable essay... So you shouldnt have an issue, its the same skills... just a different knowledge base.

This of course is all irrelevent in face of another more pressing question. AH Classics. Why?
You could do H Classical Studies and another Higher, which would possibly be better for Scottish unis. On the other hand, if you want to do AH Classics, why not? As you're doing AH Latin you probably already have some knowledge of that area. Have you ever done History? Classical Studies supposedly has quite a lot in common with History so that might be important.
Reply 8
I'm wanting to crash Advanced Higher Modern Studies this year, beacuse I'm genually interested in the subject. If you're prepared to put the work in, and want to learn about the subject, then I think you should go ahead and crash it.

I don't know the difficulty level of Av. Higher Classics, but Universities will definately favour an advanced higher over a higher if you're going to achieve a higher grade, especially if you're thinking of applying down south!
Yes.
My gf crashed AH Modern Studies and achieved an 'A'.
But easier for subjects which don't require as much follow on knowledge.
Reply 10
Thanks for all the advice guys :smile:. But yeah, I'm thinking of applying down South so taking a risk such as this and pulling it off may impress them. I'm speaking to the school tomorrow so I'll get an idea of what's best to do, I was thinking about A-Level Philosophy as well, so I'll get back to you when I've got more information :biggrin:. Thanks again!
isilde007
Thanks for all the advice guys :smile:. But yeah, I'm thinking of applying down South so taking a risk such as this and pulling it off may impress them. I'm speaking to the school tomorrow so I'll get an idea of what's best to do, I was thinking about A-Level Philosophy as well, so I'll get back to you when I've got more information :biggrin:. Thanks again!

Heh, A-Level Philosophy with Mr Campbell, that would be fun anyway (unless of course I'm wrong in assuming from your comment on my thread that you're at St Als!). I imagine Mrs McLeod would get you through the AH if you took it - loads of people crash Higher Classical Studies plus people do Higher Latin as an extra and this year a guy in S3 did Int 2 so he can do Higher next year. Our Classics department is used to working with difficult circumstances, I'm sure you'd manage :smile:.
Reply 12
derangedyoshi
Heh, A-Level Philosophy with Mr Campbell, that would be fun anyway (unless of course I'm wrong in assuming from your comment on my thread that you're at St Als!). I imagine Mrs McLeod would get you through the AH if you took it - loads of people crash Higher Classical Studies plus people do Higher Latin as an extra and this year a guy in S3 did Int 2 so he can do Higher next year. Our Classics department is used to working with difficult circumstances, I'm sure you'd manage :smile:.

Haha, hopefully it should be fun (I am an Aloysian by the way :P). It turns out Advanced Computing and Advanced Classics clash anyway, so I've chosen A-Level Philosophy, Advanced Latin + Computing. Thanks a lot for all the help!

Latest

Trending

Trending