The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Sitrling Uni Course - Idk what to do :P

This takes a bit of explaining, but anyway.

I accepted Stirling as my insurance,which means i cant go for adjustment. Im down to do Spanish and Politics, but i had hoped to change politics for business or law.

Seeing as i cant do that, i assume id have to pick it as a 3rd subject. I dont even know if i can do that for either of them :P.

The other thing was, I looked at the entry qualifications for Law and it said AABB in one sitting. Does that mean no re-sits? Ive got A in Business, B in English(2nd sit), B in History, B In spanish, C in Biology(2nd sit) at higher. So by my logic, i dont qualify, but can i chance my neck and try and get on the course? How does it work. So many questions so little time :biggrin:
Reply 1
Once your in the uni, you're in the uni and you can swap to any degree by fiddling around and making sure you do the required modules during your first year. I don't understand why you can't do business with your Politics and Spanish unless you're doing two Spanish modules?

Law is a bit iffy to switch too since it is a slightly more difficult course to get into you. Your best bet is to phone someone in the uni departments and speak to them - everything is a case by case basis.
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
There's no probs with doing politics and spanish, i just wasn't sure if they'd allow it and business. Hopefully the info pack arrives today and sheds some light
Reply 3
RyanC
There's no probs with doing politics and spanish, i just wasn't sure if they'd allow it and business. Hopefully the info pack arrives today and sheds some light

You can do three modules in each semester of first year. Depending on you current degree, some of these may be compulsary and already choosen for you. In most cases you only have one compulsary module already choosen for you and you're free to choose any other modules from the list. With Spanish I'm not sure if one or two modules are already compulsary as you'll have your comprehension class and your speaking classes, etc. If you only have one Spanish module it's entirely possible to do politics and business. There's no rules that say you have to do modules which are all related to your degree in first year. This allows for more flexability should you decide you want to change your degree.

I've done both first semester politics and business modules, and to be honest, I would advise against business management. It's a ridiculously boring module, even for people who's degree is business or for people who are actually interested in the subject. Politics is slightly better, but it's all pretty basic stuff that'll probably have already studied in high school. If you do politics and you can get Archie Simpson as a tutor you'll have brilliant tutorials though.
Reply 4
Thing is, i dont really want to do politics but cant change it now, or at least not in adjustment.

I'll probs phone them in a couple of days and chew the fat with them. Thanks for the help anyways.
Reply 5
In first semester do Spanish, Politics and Management (Business). Then in second semester change degree to Spanish and Business. That'd be the easiest way. Management isn't bad but the lecturers u get for the first module are shocking.
Reply 6
RyanC
Thing is, i dont really want to do politics but cant change it now, or at least not in adjustment.

I'll probs phone them in a couple of days and chew the fat with them. Thanks for the help anyways.

If they don't let you change out of politics over the phone you can do it within the first 2 weeks of arriving at the uni. You're not going to be stuck doing politics, don't worry.
Reply 7
That's good to hear :smile:. Thanks for the help guys.

Latest