The Student Room Group

Does watching youtube videos count as downloading?

Scroll to see replies

JmJtr
Don't mean to high jack the thread but does playing online games on consoles also count as downloading?

If you need to be on the internet, then yes, it counts as downloading.
It's known as streaming, not downloading.
Reply 42
kpwxx
Says it does on their website?

No it doesn't- you must be looking at something other than the 50mb option.
Reply 43
Every byte of data you view through your browser has been downloaded.

The only exception is where pages have been loaded from your cache.
Emily4827
No. Why would it count? No files are saved on your PC.

:facepalm:

a) it is downloading

b) it does count, so whether it should or not (which it should) is academic
Mighty Moe
It's known as streaming, not downloading.

streaming is downloading to a temporary folder, the data to be used immediately then deleted soon after

/thread
jesus, why do people not know this....????
Barden
streaming is downloading to a temporary folder, the data to be used immediately then deleted soon after

/thread

Again, it's known as streaming.
Reply 48
kpwxx
No what I was saying is that it is the only one. I just mentioned that it's sky incase I was incorrect or you wanted to check it. The point is, there are a lot of ISPs and while band with is important, its not fair to say that everyone should use that one company (which if you only used truly unlimited net you would have to)

Sky aswell as o2 and be are unlimited.
Reply 49
Mighty Moe
Again, it's known as streaming.

and streaming counts against your download limit, which is what the OP was wondering.
Reply 50
The ISPs use what could be seen as bad wording. They count any data that goes over your ADSL/Cable line as uploading/downloading (depending on direction). That means as far as they are concerned: loading web pages, torrents, youtube, iPlayer etc. are all downloading.

It doesn't matter what you think the words mean. It's what the ISPs think that counts and that's all data. (They can't tell what's streaming and whats downloading and there would probably be uproar if they were looking at your data transfers in that level of detail)

ScouseWheelTrim
Well I don't think bandwith limits are something any company should need to constrain because the amount of money they're making, the infrastructure should exist (reinvestment) for that to be done.

Because for you to have totally unlimited bandwidth costs a lot more then the £15 you're paying a month (i.e. add at least a couple of 0's onto the end). They are going to spend money on infrastructure however that costs a lot (into millions and beyond). You'll probably find that staff costs take out a good proportion of what you pay monthly.
Reply 51
My God! Thank God I'm not a student! Asking a simple, honest question opens up the floodgates for disparagement, ridicule, abuse and worse. Has it always been like this?

Quick Reply

Latest