The Student Room Group
Reply 1
No, I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a job. You surely weren't going to be spending your *whole* weekend working and revising anyway, so what's the harm in taking a few hours out to get a part-time job?

Good luck if you decide to go for it.
Reply 2
I worked long hours (10-12, 4 days per week) during sixth year, albeit only for just over a month, and found it fine. If you've already achieved good grades in fifth year I'd urge you to get a job, any further grades this year will be nice but work experience is invaluable.
Reply 3
I had 2 jobs last year, working anything from 8 to 20 hours a week. I did 3 AHs, a conditional offer, and managed to get 3 As. As long as you're committed, it can definitely be done. Sometimes it does get a bit stressy when you know you have work/revision to be done. There is definitely some social sacrifice involved - although not a lot - but I'd say it's worth it.
Reply 4
I had a Christmas temp job last year and I was in 5th year, I was doing 5 highers and I managed to get AAABB. I don't a job will effect your study, you just have to be organised, make study time table, don't take too much overtime. I think getting a job inn 6th year is good practice for university.
Reply 5
Do it. I seriously can't take people seriously that say it's impossible to have a job and still get good grades. What the hell do they expect you to do for money, then?! I've worked since I was 13, sometimes keeping two jobs going at the same time, going straight from one to the other, and my grades didn't suffer at all. Anyway, it won't even matter really if you get unconditionals.
I'm planning to do it, working from 5-11 on monday, wednesday, thursday,friday and sunday. I've done this in 5th year so i don't see why not. Go for it!
I had a job whilst in 5th year and was convinced I was going to fail my highers because I was always tired. A final push from about Feb-May got me AAAAB. I will be doing 3 AH's as well this year and will be staying on in my job. My advice would be just go for it; if you're willing to put the work in then having a part time job will not have an adverse affect on your results. A new store opening is also a great opportunity.

Good luck with whatever you choose :smile:
I worked all of my fifth year and 6th year, to be fair I bounced about jobs a great bit and one of my friends the other day was saying that she wouldn't have been able to work in 5th year and still do well- that's a lie she's a genius haha- but yea. As long as you're not skipping school to work don't see why not. Pretty hard to get a job right now though whilst in school, I found anywhere that was looking needed staff during the day :smile:
My friend got AAAA at advanced higher and and an A in a higher whilst doing a job 10 hours or so a week on average in 6th year
Reply 10
24craigour
I'm planning to do it, working from 5-11 on monday, wednesday, thursday,friday and sunday. I've done this in 5th year so i don't see why not. Go for it!

I reckon those sort of hours are maybe a bit excessive for most people, but good on you for doing it! I probably would have died of exhaustion :P
Reply 11
I had a job throughout 5th and 6th year, 6 hours on a Friday after school and 8 hours on a Saturday and going full time during holidays, and I was fine. I got AAAAC in my Highers and ABF in my Advanced Highers (and the one that I failed was Art, with the only work done at home being my essay anyways :p:) I'd say go for it if you think you can do it :smile:
wawa1906
I reckon those sort of hours are maybe a bit excessive for most people, but good on you for doing it! I probably would have died of exhaustion :P

Yeah you kinda get used to the long term sleep deprivation after a while. I regard it as training for uni :wink:
Reply 13
Come across a problem on my application.

http://www.tesco-careers.com/user/custom/assets/pdf/tesco-application-form-2-updated.pdf

Bottom of page 3.
I don't have the documents other than birth certificate. I have not yet got my passport (have applied). Can't find the list on the government website so would a provisional driving license suffice?

EDIT: Just been told that a birth certificate plus national insurance card should be enough.
Reply 14
yeah, get a job if you can. not sure i'd recommend more than >16 hours though when it comes to investigation/exam time if you want/need good grades.
Easily possible. I worked 10 hours a week through my Highers and came out with AAAAAA... I did 18 hours in the 4 days before my maths final... Its all in your time management.
Reply 16
I did about 15 hours a weekend when i was in 5th year and got AAAAB - that sucked but I was so used to it I forgot what it was like to be able to do homework etc at weekends.
In 6th year I did 2 advanced highers and one higher and had a job of sometimes 4 sometimes 8 hours a weekend which was no bad. I got a at higher and B and C at advanced higher, but I didnt really try very hard in 6th year tbh haha xx

Latest

Trending

Trending