The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

xCBRx
No Prelims don't count towards your course, they are just practice exams to see how you are getting on - usually in January/February to assess Unit 1 and 2 of a course. You don't need to pass them but there are NABs that you do have to pass to pass the overall course. :smile:

oh i see. thanks for explaining to me
:smile:
Reply 41
That's rubbish - I hope you can get an appeal. Is a prelim the only way of actually getting an appeal? Do NABs, and in the case of Computing, coursework tasks mean anything?
If you've shown significant improvement from your prelim onwards, I reckon you'd have a pretty good chance at an appeal. :-)
Reply 43
Remember that the higher coursework is only 30% of your final grade, so your coursework mark only got you 24% overall.
Reply 44
alasdair17
I didn't pass the prelim.

So, my coursework means nothing if I didn't do well in the exam?

Is there any chance of a C?

Give it a go and see. There's no harm in trying! :smile:
Reply 45
Thanks for the responses.

I'm just a bit flummoxed of how I can do well in the coursework, past papers, I did study consistently and answer almost every question and get a poor result.

Just feel a bit unjust, that's all.
Reply 46
Hi, so I got my results, and I got a B and C in my AH's, whichI'm fine with as I thought I would totally fail, but in H Classical Studies, which I was predicted an A, had got A's in all class tests and prelims, I got a D. I was majorly shocked as I thought the paper went really well.
My teacher has said she'll appeal which is good as I'd like to pass, but will I only go up one grade to a C? Like are there any chances I could go up to an A or B? I would even be happy with a B and not an A after doing well throughout the course.

You absolutely can appeal up more than one grade, despite the amount of misinformation to the contrary on here, although it is more unusual. However, I'd be flabbergasted if you successfully appealed to an A unless there was a error in your marking or something.
Reply 48
I got 80% in my higher business management prelim and a no award in the exam. I am gutted, my school say they may appeal but to speak to them on the first day back. I passed all my nabs first time. Do you think I have a chance of getting even a c? My concern is that because I didint even get a d that i have no chance.:frown: Would be grateful for some advice
well, is there a reason why you got no award? you would need to find that out first.
Reply 50
Ouch, that sucks!

If you passed the prelim with 80% and all the NABs first time, then I suppose they have to at least give you a chance. Any extentuating circumstances, or did you just find the exam hard on the day? Are you 100% sure you worked hard enough?

The SQA will probably have to review the prelim paper your school set and take it from there.

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 51
I dunno what happened and yea I worked hard enough
dsandi83
I dunno what happened and yea I worked hard enough

well the sqa wont give you your exam script but im sure your school can find out for you why you got no award.
Reply 53
Do you think if I failed because I had an off day I can get a successful appeal
dsandi83
Do you think if I failed because I had an off day I can get a successful appeal

well i have no idea if you could have a successful appeal since thats up to whoever is assessing your appeal.

However, as far as im aware the sqa would consider it if you performed well enough in your prelim and other coursework throughout the year.
Reply 55
I got a B band 3 in the final exam. I think it was 1 or 2 marks away from an A. I would like to try and get this up to an A.

This is all the evidence I have:

Prelim covering unit 1 and 2 only:
Multiple choice: 22/30
Section B: 60/80
Essay 1: 9/10
Essay 2: 5/10
Overall: 74%

Shortened prelim covering all three units, but mainly unit 3.
Multiple choice: 8/10
Section B: 36/43
Essay: 10/10
Overall: 89%

Unit 1 NAB - 36/40 (90%)
Unit 2 NAB - 39/40 (97.5%)
Unit 3 NAB - 36/40 (90%)
911 bob
What would happen in a subject that has both a project/external exam.
Would an appeal result in just a change of the external exam grade ??
Or does the appeal just change your overall grade??

You overall grade is calculated based on your performance in both external exam and project. (IOW: mu)
Any advice would be helpful thanks.

Right, i failed Higher History with a D, and got 50/70 (71.333.. % ) in my prelim. I don't know my Extended Essay mark yet, but say hypothetically i got 15/30, giving a combined prelim total of 65%. Throughout the year i've written many essays and never once even recieved a C graded essay or below.

I know i may be able to achieve a C on appeal, however is this sufficient enough evidence for a B? : /
Reply 58
TheUnbeliever
You overall grade is calculated based on your performance in both external exam and project. (IOW: mu)

Yea so i got a C in the external exam for computing.
I only needed at least a high C/ low B in the external exam to get an A overall due to my coursework.

I have evidence that I have been consistantly performing at 'A' standard throughout the year in the external part.

I know I have a fairly good chance of moving up to a B, but what are my chances of moving up to an A. Seing that I have shown that I had been perfoming well above a high C/low B in the external part.
Reply 59
I got my results on thursday and im really worried. I got a C for Chemistry and for the prelims i got a B with 62%. Does anybody know if i could get an appeal? Plz reply back.

Latest

Trending

Trending