The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ok so, I did really badly in my exams this year... I phoned the school to see if they could appeal for the 2 highers that I had failed to be told my predicted grades had been changed from a B and a C to both complete fails?! My teacher did not consult me about this at all? I got a C in both the prelims yet they still can't appeal for me? Should I take this further and speak to the SQA? Best of it is this teacher is a marker at SQA! So confused and angry!! :mad:
Original post by Ecosse_14
Your school needs to pay for them. One of the first things they'll do is look over your exam script.

Original post by midgetgemx3
Ok so, I did really badly in my exams this year... I phoned the school to see if they could appeal for the 2 highers that I had failed to be told my predicted grades had been changed from a B and a C to both complete fails?! My teacher did not consult me about this at all? I got a C in both the prelims yet they still can't appeal for me? Should I take this further and speak to the SQA? Best of it is this teacher is a marker at SQA! So confused and angry!! :mad:

There's nothing you can do. You are simply not eligible to appeal. The teacher doesn't need to consult with you what they predict you. Sorry, but there's nothing you can really do :dontknow:
:frown: Goodness sake, that's really unfair considering I got Cs in the prelims though, ugh.
See if your school has started appealing for you before you even ask, this must be a good sign right? Apparentely the sqa has all your prelim results and suggests to the school who should appeal. For physics i compared my answers with a PHYSICS TUTORS SOLUTIONS and i got roughly 84% and the A boundary is 73% and they say i have got a B, how can this be possible, i would have to lose an extra ten marks! In english it was only 65% and i always get at least 35/50 which makes it very easy to get an A.What has happened?! The same happened to my best friend with biology. Just waiting for the SQA to release an apology for wrong results...
Original post by with respect to ex
See if your school has started appealing for you before you even ask, this must be a good sign right? Apparentely the sqa has all your prelim results and suggests to the school who should appeal. For physics i compared my answers with a PHYSICS TUTORS SOLUTIONS and i got roughly 84% and the A boundary is 73% and they say i have got a B, how can this be possible, i would have to lose an extra ten marks! In english it was only 65% and i always get at least 35/50 which makes it very easy to get an A.What has happened?! The same happened to my best friend with biology. Just waiting for the SQA to release an apology for wrong results...

Most teachers will appeal for you without you even asking if you are on the list of eligible candidates. Either there was a genuine mistake or you just haven't done as well as you thought.
Most of the time a C isn't good enough for an appeal anymore :/ I'm really really sorry to hear that.
Reply 687
So, I got my results back this morning and found out that I got a SG 2 in biology, I should be pleased with that but I was gutted because I worked so so hard to try and get the 1 that I was predicted to get.

Anyway I was just wondering would I be able to appeal to see if I could get the 1 or do have to just keep the 2? :frown: :confused::s-smilie:
Original post by Lauurenm
So, I got my results back this morning and found out that I got a SG 2 in biology, I should be pleased with that but I was gutted because I worked so so hard to try and get the 1 that I was predicted to get.

Anyway I was just wondering would I be able to appeal to see if I could get the 1 or do have to just keep the 2? :frown: :confused::s-smilie:

Depends what you were predicted and if you're on the list of eligible candidates who can appeal the SQA sends to your school.
Reply 689
Hi there,
I'm highly disappointed with my results today. I'm at FE college and I've achieved ABC. AB at Int2 Psychology and English, respectively, and the C at Higher History. All year I consistently got As in my NABs and practice essays in History along with a couple of 100% NAB results in English. Predicted grades were most likely As, definitely at least Bs (They don't really go into that too much at college) do you think I'm in with a good chance of an appeal?

I received the breakdown of my results and they don't quite add up, certainly a drop of about 30% from prelims/NABs etc. I wonder if it's perhaps because I had a booklet per essay in English? Perhaps one wasn't taken (I received 18/50 for Crit. Essay).

The History is devastating and I can't help but think that a re-mark by a tutor more well versed in, the not often covered subject of, Italian History would improve the grade as a lot of my, relevant, points didn't feature in the marking scheme.

Yours, in what looks like crippling denial,
B
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Beemio
Hi there,
I'm highly disappointed with my results today. I'm at FE college and I've achieved ABC. AB at Int2 Psychology and English, respectively, and the C at Higher History. All year I consistently got As in my NABs and practice essays in History along with a couple of 100% NAB results in English. Predicted grades were most likely As, definitely at least Bs (They don't really go into that too much at college) do you think I'm in with a good chance of an appeal?

I received the breakdown of my results and they don't quite add up, certainly a drop of about 30% from prelims/NABs etc. I wonder if it's perhaps because I had a booklet per essay in English? Perhaps one wasn't taken (I received 18/50 for Crit. Essay).

The History is devastating and I can't help but think that a re-mark by a tutor more well versed in, the not often covered subject of, Italian History would improve the grade as a lot of my, relevant, points didn't feature in the marking scheme.

Yours, in what looks like crippling denial,
B

NABs don't really count for anything when appeals are happening because they are set at level C. What were your prelims like? If your tutors predicted you higher than a C to the SQA then you should be eligible for an appeal.
Reply 691
Thanks for the reply,
My prelims were both high Bs. So, will that mean that History will be more likely to be appealed? I've also contacted the college and lodged official requests for appeals in both subjects. Obviously, we'll have to see if I made the list first.
Thanks,
B
Original post by Beemio
Thanks for the reply,
My prelims were both high Bs. So, will that mean that History will be more likely to be appealed? I've also contacted the college and lodged official requests for appeals in both subjects. Obviously, we'll have to see if I made the list first.
Thanks,
B

Well it's more likely that you'll be eligible to appeal, yes. Getting successful appeals at Higher level can be quite difficult though so it depends on factors such as the difficulty of your prelim(s) and how lenient the marker was. Good luck!
Reply 693
I'll try and find out my predicted grades, hopefully they were both As! Teachers aren't back at work yet for us so I suppose I should just cross my fingers.

I missed one exam with tonsillitis and carried it for the rest of my exams too (Apart from the Psychology which was a late one) I had a doctors note proving the illness so I might throw that in as well. It's got to be worth something.

In distress,
B
Reply 694
Well it's more likely that you'll be eligible to appeal, yes. Getting successful appeals at Higher level can be quite difficult though so it depends on factors such as the difficulty of your prelim(s) and how lenient the marker was. Good luck!

Thanks very much, Ecosse! The prelim question was rather close to one of my actual exam questions if I remember correctly.

I'll let you know how I get on, and if I get back into college next year.

Calming down a bit,
B
Reply 695
Original post by Alt__x
In psychology, throughout the entire year I've consistently got A's. In 3 of my NABs I got 20/20, and in my prelim I got 97%. However, today was my final exam and I totally cocked up and wrote about the wrong approach for my question on atypical behaviour, and I have now lost 20 marks, taking me down from what I think was an A to a C. As you can imagine I'm distraught. My psychology teacher says you can't get an appeal in psychology up to an A, but surely the evidence is there? Does anyone know?

Hi.

I would say go for the appeal but don't get your hopes up. Last year I was 89% average in maths and ended up with a C in the exam. (only a couple of percent of a B)
I didn't get my appeal though as the SQA said there was too much of a difference. So I still have a C

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT15i
Hi I was just wondering about my History exam.
I got a C.
I got high B's in my prelims and Nabs. About 66-68%. I know I have to be on the list, but if I am, how like do you think it is I'll get an appeal?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by thisIZwar
Hi I was just wondering about my History exam.
I got a C.
I got high B's in my prelims and Nabs. About 66-68%. I know I have to be on the list, but if I am, how like do you think it is I'll get an appeal?

As said in this thread loads: basically, we can't tell as nobody really knows. There are many factors which go into getting an appeal and can be difficult to get one at Higher level.
Reply 698
As said in this thread loads: basically, we can't tell as nobody really knows. There are many factors which go into getting an appeal and can be difficult to get one at Higher level.

Success in an appeal depends on for example:

1) Whether the prelim you sat is actually valid (ie does it replicate the SQA exam in terms of demand, difficulty, format, content etc)
2) Whether an appropriate cut-off score has been set for the prelim (was it too low or too high?)
3) Was the prelim marked to National standard or has it been marked leniently etc

It's worthwhile remembering that if you appeal your original exam script is always reviewed again by an Examiner (not 'just' a marker)
Original post by lc0105
Success in an appeal depends on for example:

1) Whether the prelim you sat is actually valid (ie does it replicate the SQA exam in terms of demand, difficulty, format, content etc)
2) Whether an appropriate cut-off score has been set for the prelim (was it too low or too high?)
3) Was the prelim marked to National standard or has it been marked leniently etc

It's worthwhile remembering that if you appeal your original exam script is always reviewed again by an Examiner (not 'just' a marker)

Think you quoted the wrong person, I've said similar to the above countless times the past couple of days.

Latest

Trending

Trending