The Student Room Group

SQA Appeals Info :: Ask all appeals questions in here, please!

For Appeals 2013, please see this thread for more information and to ask any question!

The SQA have a system in place that allows you to appeal your exam results if you didn't do as well as you'd hoped in the final exam. An appeal can be submitted if your school/college has alternative evidence to suggest you deserve a better award for the subject in question, for example, a prelim.

Appeals can be requested for Intermediate 1 exams, Intermediate 2 exams, Standard Grade exams, Higher exams and Advanced Higher exams.

For all levels, it is your school/college who submits the appeal on your behalf. If you would like to appeal one or more of your grades, you must contact your school/college.

The SQA have some helpful PDFs about appeals, including information for centres and candidates, which you can read here.

The key dates for appeals are listed here. Please note that Stage 1 refers to Higher and Advanced Higher appeals, and Stage 2 refers to Standard Grade, Int 1 and Int 2 appeals.

I need to appeal to get into uni - how long will this take and what should I do?

If your place at university depends on your exam results and you've just missed your conditional, you must contact your school/college as soon as possible if you need to request an appeal to meet your conditional offer. Tell your school/college to mark the appeal as "urgent" before submitting it to the SQA. Also tell your school/college what date the appeal is required by, and which university requires the result. The SQA will then confirm the request for an appeal with your university and process the appeal as quickly as possible, and will issue the results of urgent appeals by 20 September.

I haven't applied to uni/I've got into uni, but I could have done better - can I still appeal?

Of course, providing that you have evidence which will help you get a successful appeal. There's not much point in trying to appeal if you got, for example, a C in the final exam and a C or worse in the prelim. If, however, you did better in your prelim than in the final exam, by all means go for it, you've nothing to lose! (This applies to exams at all levels.)

Can an appeal move my grade up by more than one grade?

Yes. It's not common but, with good evidence, it is possible.

What about my exam certificate?

If your appeal is successful, the SQA will send you an updated certificate in November with your new grade on it.

Thanks to SAM for a fair amount of the information in this post :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Higher RMPS
1st Prelim : 73% (A)
2nd Prelim: 80% (A)
Final exam: C :frown:

Can I get an B on appeal! Do I have a strong case?

Regards :smile:
Reply 2
Yes, of course you can :smile:
Reply 3
yes you have a v.strong case for appealing from a C to a B, i'd be gobsmacked if you didn't get it.
Reply 4
Looks like a solid appeal :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah, but they'll only up your grade by 1 band. So if its a higher band C, then they'll up it to a B. But a lower band and no change will occur.
They've recently tightened up on appeals. So it can be pretty lucky to get one even if you hve the evidence if you don't have a reason why you didn't perform well in the final exam, ie illness, family death etc.

But good luck! My little sister got an A in her prelim for RMPS and a D in the final. She will probably get hers put to a C.
Yes. Were there any particular reasons for getting a C or was it purely bad luck on the day?
Reply 7
Yeah deffo.... i feel for you, thats horrible!!!
Reply 8
Thanks everyone for all the informative and helpful comments, they are much appreciated! Apart from the school, would I be able to get the band from SQA?

I did have a personal matter happening at the time but I think it was just bad luck as I did work hard for it (wrote about 140 pages just for RE) so probably just unlucky!

Again thanks everyone!

Regards!
Reply 9
xRoseberryx
Yeah, but they'll only up your grade by 1 band. So if its a higher band C, then they'll up it to a B. But a lower band and no change will occur.
They've recently tightened up on appeals. So it can be pretty lucky to get one even if you hve the evidence if you don't have a reason why you didn't perform well in the final exam, ie illness, family death etc.

But good luck! My little sister got an A in her prelim for RMPS and a D in the final. She will probably get hers put to a C.

I hope your sister gets her appeal! :smile:
Alves
I hope your sister gets her appeal! :smile:

:smile: In regards to bands, whihc is pretty important here...As far as I know, its just the school who'll be able to tell you. But yours should be open tommorrow so pop in or phone them. Itll be a lot harder to weedle it out of the SQA at this busy time tbh, but if you have to you could try phoning them.
Reply 11
clairelc
ah my bad sorry, good luck getting in.
you seem though that you didn't get the results you wanted by saying "if he was in my sitution"

Well everyone would be disappointed! As I said I am not the brainest person in the world and for me to pass this higher when I self-taught it I think I did very well. Everyone would love 5'As,etc!

Good luck in future exams! :smile:
Reply 12
Alves
Well everyone would be disappointed! As I said I am not the brainest person in the world and for me to pass this higher when I self-taught it I think I did very well. Everyone would love 5'As,etc!

Good luck in future exams! :smile:

thankyou good luck with uni :smile: and also your 6th year exams :smile:
xRoseberryx

I agree.
Reply 14
Not trying to derail the thread but I did not want to start another thread and clutter up the forums.

Out of the 3 Physics prelims we done I got above 90% for 2 of them and somewhere above 80& for the other one.

Only got a B in my exam, I presume it is an upper B, good chance of appeal?
I got a C in drama, would I be able to appeal with coursework evidence and NABs? Thanks!
Reply 16
what did u get in ur prelim?
The same, which looks really bad I know, but I was hoping consistent good work throughout the year would aid my case :L also, I was predicted an A/B, does that do me any good?
Reply 18
What would happen in a subject that has both a project/external exam.
Would an appeal result in just a change of the external exam grade ??
Or does the appeal just change your overall grade??
Reply 19
Sorry but I don't think you would have much luck with an appeal.

Latest

Trending

Trending