The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As you know you're going to Warwick in October, you may as well start with the pre-set texts.

These are:
Macroeconomics by Mankiw
Microeconomics by Perloff
Can't go wrong with those two. You may find Mankiw more of an interesting "summer read" especially as it will help you put into context things that you are reading in the news. As an entry level Macroeconomics book I think Mankiw is excellent and it is the core first year text at most of the top institutions, which says something.
Reply 3
Gergory Mankiw is kewl.

And ditto .ACS. if those are the pre set text, and you want some reading, read those.
Reply 4
But he's neo-Keynesian :frown:
Reply 5
haha nobody's perfect.
Reply 6
danny111
haha nobody's perfect.

Reply 7
Focus08

Excellent book. But what about decent macroeconomic theory textbooks with a similar slant? :p:
Reply 8
.ACS.
Excellent book. But what about decent macroeconomic theory textbooks with a similar slant? :p:

Reply 9
.ACS.

Focus08
But he's neo-Keynesian :frown:

Actually he's a New Keynesian (along with DeLong, Krugman, Stiglitz). Neo-Keynesian = Solow + Samuelson. There are differences.

But you know they are all Keynesians... But then again, aren't we all Keynesians now?:p:
Reply 11
Bourgeois
Actually he's a New Keynesian (along with DeLong, Krugman, Stiglitz). Neo-Keynesian = Solow + Samuelson. There are differences.

But you know they are all Keynesians... But then again, aren't we all Keynesians now?:p:

Can't be that different: debt, inflation, spending...
Reply 12
Bourgeois

- Richard Nixon and/or Milton Friedman, lol.
TomasK
- Richard Nixon and/or Milton Friedman, lol.

Friedman coined the phrase, Nixon just repeated it (falsely)

Interesting fact->
Milton Friedman:
"Sir, You quote me as saying: "We are all Keynesians now." The quotation is correct, but taken out of context. As best I can recall it, the context was: "In one sense, we are all Keynesians now; in another, nobody is any longer a Keynesian." The second half is at least as important as the first."
Reply 14
Bourgeois
Friedman coined the phrase, Nixon just repeated it (falsely)

Interesting fact->
Milton Friedman:
"Sir, You quote me as saying: "We are all Keynesians now." The quotation is correct, but taken out of context. As best I can recall it, the context was: "In one sense, we are all Keynesians now; in another, nobody is any longer a Keynesian." The second half is at least as important as the first."

Somehow reminds me of Keynes qoute "In the long run, we're all dead". Don't know why, suppose it's because of the controversial qoute. heh
Reply 15
The Microeconomics book by Perloff mentioned earlier, is rather heavy on the maths, so I wouldn't really use it as an intro.

Games of Strategy by Dixit et al is quite a cool book.
Reply 16
mike9999
The Microeconomics book by Perloff mentioned earlier, is rather heavy on the maths, so I wouldn't really use it as an intro.

Well, it is the set text for Microeconomics 1 at Warwick, where the OP is going.

It's also the set text for Southampton, and so having used it, I'd have to disagree with the idea that it's rather heavy on maths at all. If anything, it's pretty mathematically weak, with a lot of focus being on the underlying theory and the intuition.
Reply 17
.ACS.
As you know you're going to Warwick in October, you may as well start with the pre-set texts.

These are:
Macroeconomics by Mankiw
Microeconomics by Perloff

Where would be the best place to buy these books? I had a quick look on Amazon but there's loads of different varieties, which ones are the ones we are after? :o:

Also, seeing as the books are quite a bit to purchase will they be quite useful for new undergraduates just about to start studying Economics?

[or would it be best just to borrow them from the university library when we get there?]

Thank you :smile:
--Dan--
Where would be the best place to buy these books? I had a quick look on Amazon but there's loads of different varieties, which ones are the ones we are after? :o:

Also, seeing as the books are quite a bit to purchase will they be quite useful for new undergraduates just about to start studying Economics?

[or would it be best just to borrow them from the university library when we get there?]

Thank you :smile:

Amazon is good and the different varieties are generally earlier editions. With economics, most of the theories that you will learn on an undergraduate course are long standing ones which mean that earlier editions are just as good as later ones, in fact you might find some of your tutors reckon that earlier editions were better because some of the later ones are "dumbed down" with content taken out rather than new content put in.

However where more recent versions are useful, is when they talk about stuff which is in context today, ie with macroeconomics its useful to have up to date books which will talk a bit about the latest global recession. The other thing is a lot of these books are american and so they talk in terms of dollars and about american events, but if you get Mankiw's International Edition for instance, then he will talk in euros or pounds and about things like the euro, so its easier to learn, but on the other hand the american textbooks do help you to pick things up about the US economy.

Personally I would say if there is a core textbook for your course, buy the latest edition because the page references and exercises will have to correspond with what your tutor is telling you to read. But for the none cores, get older versions if you can get them cheap. You might be able to get copies out of the library when you are at uni but it depends on how good your library is and how much the other students care.

I wouldn't stress TOO much about pre-reading before going into first year, especially don't go spending a lot of money buying books before you get there. Look at stuff like economics blogs online, familiarise yourself with economic speak, Faisal Islam and Stephanie Flanders blogs are good ones to be regular followers of.
Reply 19
MagicNMedicine
Amazon is good and the different varieties are generally earlier editions. With economics, most of the theories that you will learn on an undergraduate course are long standing ones which mean that earlier editions are just as good as later ones, in fact you might find some of your tutors reckon that earlier editions were better because some of the later ones are "dumbed down" with content taken out rather than new content put in.

However where more recent versions are useful, is when they talk about stuff which is in context today, ie with macroeconomics its useful to have up to date books which will talk a bit about the latest global recession. The other thing is a lot of these books are american and so they talk in terms of dollars and about american events, but if you get Mankiw's International Edition for instance, then he will talk in euros or pounds and about things like the euro, so its easier to learn, but on the other hand the american textbooks do help you to pick things up about the US economy.

Personally I would say if there is a core textbook for your course, buy the latest edition because the page references and exercises will have to correspond with what your tutor is telling you to read. But for the none cores, get older versions if you can get them cheap. You might be able to get copies out of the library when you are at uni but it depends on how good your library is and how much the other students care.

I wouldn't stress TOO much about pre-reading before going into first year, especially don't go spending a lot of money buying books before you get there. Look at stuff like economics blogs online, familiarise yourself with economic speak, Faisal Islam and Stephanie Flanders blogs are good ones to be regular followers of.

What do you mean by that ? ( in bold )
Just out of curiosity, did you buy all the books in your first year? I reckon they can get quite expensive :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending