The Student Room Group

Do universities look down on home schooled children?

do universities look down on home schooled children

i was home schooled halfway though my teen years because of bullying and ive really tried hard to teach myself but my dad says that ive got no chance of going to uni because i was home schooled

is he right

im taking igcse next year and my a-levels the year after at the local collage
buddhist chick

i was home schooled halfway though my teen years because of bullying and ive really tried hard to teach myself but my dad says that ive got no chance of going to uni because i was home schooled

is he right

No, why would they?

Tbh, they just really want the grades.
Reply 2
No way! As stated above by 'im so academic ' Universities like the grades. But try and do some extra-curricular activites as well. Also Uni's may like the fact that you have done the work by yourself at home, as this shows independence, enthusiasm and motivation! :smile:
Reply 3
Reply 4
Yeah, as said, you can make it work in your favour. As long as you get the grades you need, it's fine. It can show independence, commitment etc. As Sukh_-007 said, try and do some extracurricular. Maybe a class once a week, or some kind of work experience or something, or do clubs/council etc when you get to college.
xxx
Reply 5
No, they won't look down on you.
As mentioned above though, it may be a good idea to try to do some ec activities, just to show that you do have the ability to communicate with others, make friends etc
Reply 6
buddhist chick

is he right

Universities themselves probably won't, but the people that go to them sure will.
Reply 7
As long as you get the grades, I don't see why it would matter. :P
im so academic
No, why would they?

Tbh, they just really want the grades.

WOAH WOAH WOAH! Did you just HELP someone with USEFUL information :zomg:? I am shocked!
SpiritedAway
WOAH WOAH WOAH! Did you just HELP someone with USEFUL information :zomg:? I am shocked!

Exactly what I was thinking :p:
The OP has an answer so I won't contribute.
Reply 10
As long as you get the grades they shouldn't care. However, I'd get some extracurriculars, preferably that involve teams/groups just make sure your application is well rounded.
Reply 11
No, they won't look down on you. However, the only admissions statistics I know anything about are Oxford's and in those home-schooled people are the only ones who's chances are significantly worse due to schooling type. It's about 50%. This is easily explained by home-schooled people having over-inflated opinions of their own ability.
I knew someone who knew someone who was home-schooled at Imperial. It shouldn't be a problem. :top:
I think it'll look good, cause you've shown you can work independently really well. Just make sure you show that you do have a good social life and meet people outside of the house!
Reply 14
I was home educated and I'm going to Bristol this year and my home educated friends have all got into good universities too. I reckon talking about home education in your personal statement can make you stand out from the crowd, so stop worrying and tell your dad to do some research!
Reply 15
Is your dad saying that he doesn't think you will get the grades for uni because you were homeschooled? That could be the case; if you don't get the grades, you don't get in.

However if you end up with good grades anyway then what he's saying is rubbish.
It shouldn't matter at all. I was home schooled all the way through secondary school, and didn't actually take GCSEs, and I'm pretty sure my one uni rejection was more to do with a bad score in the admissions test than the fact that I was home schooled. It might be an idea to email universities you're thinking of applying to to ask them whether it will affect your application - that's what I did and got very encouraging replies from all but one university :smile:
Reply 17
buddhist chick

is he right

Nope. I was home schooled and I got into all the unis I applied to. I'm not going into my 2nd year at UCL. It was explained in my reference and everything was fine.
Of course they do most of them are a bit inept.

Latest

Trending

Trending