The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It could be either

A: They are crazy and come up with crazy **** that makes it harder for men to respect them as equal beings.

or

B: They're against oral sex and doggy.
Equal opportunities - yes!

A reason for a minor number of angry women to vent hatred at men and pursue a warped, imbalanced version of feminism - no.
I want equal opportunities for everyone in every walk of life. This makes me an egalitarian.

I like "feminists" who are, in fact, just egalitarians and don't want any special rights for women. I profoundly dislike feminists who seek to turn the tables on patriarchal societies and turn them into matriarchal societies, or other such nonsense.
Reply 4
you will never have completely equal oportunities for two sexes that are physically different
Because some are threatened by the prospect of social change, and so particularly frightened by the thought of not always possessing the unmerited advantages society has awarded them on account of being male.
~haze~
Don't you want equal opportunities for both sexes?

Generally men don't hate feminists. They hate the Nazi "feminists".
Reply 7
Because they never stop moaning.
Reply 8
Errr you mean why do some men hate feminists.
By my calculations, you have just lumped a ****load of men into a feminist hating category.

Though those that are, are most likely threatened by the consequences of a egalitarian relationship between the two sexes and their opportunities etc etc.
Gender roles have cemented the superiority of men in nearly every walk of life, and I suppose some men have a vested interest in keeping it this way.
Olivia_Lightbulb
Because some are threatened by the prospect of social change, and so particularly frightened by the thought of not always possessing the unmerited advantages society has awarded them on account of being male.

Possibly.
Reply 10
Because far too many feminists out there don't want equal rights for women, they want women to be treated better than men.
We don't hate feminists, we hate dickheads. It just so happens that people who define themselves as feminists are more likely to be dickheads than more balanced people who don't. This is also true for anti-smoking activists, PETA and people who don't like Lady Gaga.
~haze~
Don't you want equal opportunities for both sexes?

I do.
Which is why I dislike feminists.

An important point of note:

1. Equality of opportunity does not always equal equality of outcome:
Three official surveys are used by the Office for National Statistics (ONS): a survey of employers called ASHE (the annual survey of hours and earnings), a survey of households (the Labour Force Survey) and the panel dataset of the New Earnings Survey, which provides information from 1975 to 2006.
Most people think that equal pay sounds fine, but assume that the issue at stake is the rate of pay for the same kind of work. But as the ONS said in its monthly Economic & Labour Market Review, published last year just before the Government committed itself to forcing the Equality Bill through, the gender pay gap ‘does not necessarily indicate differences in rates of pay for comparable jobs’.
According to ASHE, in 2007 a gender pay gap does not open up until women reach about 30 years of age. From ages 18-29 there is hardly any difference and, according to the Labour Force Survey (LFS), women aged 22-29 are paid on average slightly more per hour than men. As the ONS concludes, having children is the decisive factor, not being a woman. Historical data confirm this conclusion. Based on the New Earnings Survey panel data, in 1975 there was a pay gap from the age of 18 onwards, but in 2006 no such gap existed until age 34. Why? In 1975 women tended to have children in their 20s and by 2006 it was more common to have them in their 30s. As the average age of child-rearing increased so too did the age at which the pay gap kicked in.
Then there are some other disparities, which are very hard to explain as the result of discrimination. Overall the hourly rate of pay is higher for men, but not when they work from 10-20 hours per week or from 20-30 hours per week, when on average women earn slightly more. If discrimination is the explanation, why would (male) employers discriminate against women who work more than 30 hours a week but not those who work fewer hours? Moreover, women who work part-time earn more than men in companies with 500 or more employees but less than men in companies with fewer then 25 employees. What must be going on in the minds of the discriminators?
The truth is that the vital difference is not between men and women but between women with dependent children and everyone else, whether male or female. The hourly rate of pay for women who are neither married nor cohabiting is slightly higher than for men in the same situation. For men and women who are married or cohabiting the hourly pay gap is 14.5% and the gap widens with the number of children. Women with one dependent child earn on average 12.3% less than men and with four or more dependent children 35.5% less.
Quite simply the Government’s emphasis on the gender pay gap of 22.6% is an abuse of official statistics. And to infer that the difference in the average hourly rate is the result of discrimination is an abuse of logic. When women without dependent children compete head to head with men in the same situation their hourly rate is higher. Most women today work throughout their 20s and find that success is the result of being good at something. Employers are looking for capable people whether male or female.

What feminists want is therefore inequal opportunities biased towards women. At the recent election I was shocked by politicians on the BBC claiming that all-women shortlists were "progressive". If I lived in one of the constituencies involved I would be outraged. I want the best candidate, not the best one after all the ones with testicles have been excluded. I don't really give a flying **** what my MPs genitals look like, its whether they're the best one for the job that's important to me.
...You mean: 'Why do feminists hate men so much?' :wink:
Reply 14
Olivia_Lightbulb

The levels of equality between men and women have never been closer. The kind of feminists I hate are the ones who don't seek equality but rather to have more rights than men, which isn't equality in any sense of the word but instead hypocrisy. It's nonsense to say "well you're just scared that society will change" - what some men are angry about is that the more extreme feminists tend to engage in activity which is basically mud-slinging based on a conceited hatred of a gender that as a whole evolved out of its patriarchal values. I don't believe in all-women shortlists since they seem to say that women require special treatment and need a help up the ladder (which isn't equality at all). Equal opportunities can and do exist. Equal outcomes however, are completely unfeasible.
Reply 15
Because they refuse to make me a sandwich and clean my clothes.

And most of them have penises.
They are haughty and often hypocritical.
Reply 17
Olivia_Lightbulb

What about the unmerited advantages women have been awarded on the accounts of them being female?

Example

- Women didnt have to fight in the world wars yet instead worked safely in the factories building the weapons and bombs which would kill thousands of innocent young men and civilians while then returning safely to their homes.
Because they think that all feminists are rabid man-haters that want all males to be castrated and burnt with various items of lingerie.
But yes, there are feminists that give others a bad name.
Women are equal to men now. Feminism has turned into the equivalent of a screaming child in the supermarket crying because they can't get what they want, and society is the embarrased parent that can't tell the child they're being stupid because then they'll just cry even more.

Latest

Trending

Trending