The Student Room Group

Anyone know ANYTHING about the EPQ???

Has anyone done or is doing the EPQ? The teachers at my school haven't been too helpful in explaining it and I'm a little confused... I initially thought it was a research project, but now I think it is more like getting sources and analysing them? Is this correct? If ANYONE has any idea about the EPQ would you mind just giving me a basic overview of what it encompasses please?? I just need to know if I write reems of stuff about this subject or analyse articles like you do in English lessons. :confused:
Hello,
I'm not a med student... but I think you do dissertations which I heard is similar to the EPQ project although I'm not entirely sure. With a dissertation do you research a subject of interest or do you analyse articles to do with that subject and justify if they are valid or not then draw conclusions from it??? I'm asking because I'm doing the EPQ and I might be getting help from consultants so I need to know if I need to explain it's different to how a dissertation is set up. Can ANYONE give me any advice?
Reply 2
Yeah, it stands for Extended Project Qualification!

Oh, wait, you didn't actually mean just ANYTHING :biggrin:

Look at the ultimate EPQ thread (use search feature) to find out everything you need to know!
It's in theory a research project, but analysis is a massive focus with grading I believe. To be honest though, I'd suggest not bothering. Its massively time consuming and has no real benefits for getting into universities or putting on your CV. Plus it's boring as hell, of the 10 people doing it in my school year, 8 dropped out :s-smilie:
its a research project on a topic you choose, you research it, write it up and do a presentation on it. The whole time you fill in a log book evaluating how things are going and recording your planning in stages. There are a lot of marks for the log book.
Reply 5
PythagorasChest
Hello,
I'm not a med student... but I think you do dissertations which I heard is similar to the EPQ project although I'm not entirely sure. With a dissertation do you research a subject of interest or do you analyse articles to do with that subject and justify if they are valid or not then draw conclusions from it??? I'm asking because I'm doing the EPQ and I might be getting help from consultants so I need to know if I need to explain it's different to how a dissertation is set up. Can ANYONE give me any advice?

I don't think you need to evaluate articles. If you research and find properly sourced and published articles then just use their conclusions. What's your EPQ on?
I'm doing it; most people in my year are - if you're meant to be doing the AQA Baccalaureate, you can't complete it without doing the EPQ. Also it can be good for talking about in university interviews or in your personal statement if you do it on something related to what you want to study at university. If you're not doing the AQA Bacc and not many people in your year are doing it, if I were you I wouldn't do it, especially since you don't seem to know an awful lot about it.

You choose a topic, research it, write a 5000 word essay or equivalent (e.g. a film, play, art project) and do a presentation on it. Like the above poster said, you have to fill in a production log while you're doing it and that is what you're mostly marked on.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/bacc/bacc-epq-what.php?id=02&prev=02 - that's from the AQA website.

Latest

Trending

Trending