The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Help! - will his grades be good enough?

My boyfriend and I are both applying to Lincoln Uni this year, both coming from A Levels. I should get in fine with my predicted grades, but my boyfriend is really worried - he needs 240 points to get into Forensic Science. His A Level grades are the worry though - he should get a B in photography, but he also does chemistry and geography and we really don't know if he will even pass in these subjects.

Does anyone have any experience with clearing at Lincoln University or just in general that could help? Also, he is looking into doing an Access to Higher Education Diploma if he doesn't get in, to see if he can use this as another way of getting to Uni. Thing is, he's over 19 so we can't find any way of him doing this course because he has no funding. He isn't eligible for ALG or any income support, so does anyone know of either any other courses that may be relevant, or of any other ways of funding this diploma??

Thanks so much for your help, sorry it's a bit of an essay ^
Reply 1
sparki015
My boyfriend and I are both applying to Lincoln Uni this year, both coming from A Levels. I should get in fine with my predicted grades, but my boyfriend is really worried - he needs 240 points to get into Forensic Science. His A Level grades are the worry though - he should get a B in photography, but he also does chemistry and geography and we really don't know if he will even pass in these subjects.

Does anyone have any experience with clearing at Lincoln University or just in general that could help? Also, he is looking into doing an Access to Higher Education Diploma if he doesn't get in, to see if he can use this as another way of getting to Uni. Thing is, he's over 19 so we can't find any way of him doing this course because he has no funding. He isn't eligible for ALG or any income support, so does anyone know of either any other courses that may be relevant, or of any other ways of funding this diploma??

Thanks so much for your help, sorry it's a bit of an essay ^
As your question is specifically about Lincoln, I've moved your thread in to the uni forum.

On the Access to HE diploma - if he's done A levels he wouldn't normally be allowed to do this as well. He might like to look at the Open University as an option - if you are on a low income you can get help with the course fees.
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
a B is 100 points, so he needs 140 from his last 2 subjects? that sounds pretty doable but if not, i don't know, good luck anyway.
Reply 3
I needed 260 points for my course and I got a B and 2 Cs and got in fine. They usually give a bit of leeway when it comes to not quite getting enough points
Reply 4
Thanks so much guys - I'm just really anxious about it and we're so fed up with just waiting for results!! I've looked into Open Uni courses but I can't find anything that specifically relates to what he wants to do (forensic science) :frown:
Reply 5
I'm afraid you've just got to chill out and wait to see what happens on results day - try to have a rough idea of what your BF will do if the results aren't good but theres no point in worrying until you know exactly what the situation is :smile:

Best of luck

Latest