The Student Room Group

Moisturizer stings face when I put it on.

I have acne and use Duac to treat it. I put on Duac and after half a hour my face is dry so I use a oil-free, perfume-free, soap-free moisturizer. Yet when I put it on my face, it stings for the first 10 seconds and my face goes quite red in some parts for about 5 minutes.

Just wondering, is this right? I mean it's a sensetive moisturizer it shouldn't sting.

Is something wronng?

Thx
It's probably got something in it which irritates your skin, or reacts badly with the Duac. Moisturisers are a bit hit-and-miss really, so you may have to look around for a while for something which agrees with your skin - mine comes out in spots if I use almost anything other than Aquous Cream, whereas lots of people say it clogs their pores! I've heard that Aveeno is very good for sensitive skin despite being quite cheap in Boots etc, and if you decide to spend a bit more most people seem to love Liz Earle's moisturisers (check on the site which one would suit you, I know John Lewis stocks her stuff now). If you find yourself struggling, perhaps even try a small amount of Sunflower Oil on its own (well rubbed in) - it's very light so absorbs well, and won't clog your pores. You can get it from any supermarket in the food section, for about £1 per bottle. I know it sounds crazy but it works for lots of people, and has never negatively affected my moisturiser-averse skin!

Just as a warning - I'd suggest avoiding anything by Clean and Clear, Clearasil etc because they're designed to be quite harsh. Incidentally, if you've been using a "Simple" moisturiser then you should be aware that it's nowhere near as innocuous as the name suggests - there are so many chemicals in it that it's quite likely to contain something your skin doesn't like!
Reply 2
it may be because of the reason above but it could also just be because your face is dry.
i remember when i first started putting something on my dry skin, it would sting a bit but then be ok and as i've used it more, the sting isn't there anymore because my skin isn't dry like before.
well yeah, that could be a reason?
I get this very rarely if my skin is particularly dry. I use the same moisturiser day in day out and this happens sometimes if it's particularly dry, so personally I wouldn't worry but please don't take my word for it if you're concerned.

I use boots own moisturising lotion and it costs about £2 and lasts forever.
I'd suggest going for something from Lush - I have incredibly sensitive skin and suffer with eczema (as in if my shower is too hot or too cold my skin is itchy and raw all day and my hands are scarred -.-). Because Lush is all-natural, there's very little for your skin to complain about. I'd suggest their UltraBalm: it makes your skin feel lovely, and soothes the angry patches.
Reply 5
I have the same problem with sensitive skin; I'd suggest using cleanser and then a moisturiser. To help with the red marks I switched from Simple to E45, it's not helped completely but definitely lessened the stinging (but can feel greasy on the skin). Although I do use Simple cleanser, it seems gentler than the moisturiser for some reason :s-smilie: It's best to shop around, as the person way above says, they're a bit hit-and-miss. I've not tried Lush products yet, but possibly there?
Reply 6
cheer_up_love
I'd suggest going for something from Lush - I have incredibly sensitive skin and suffer with eczema (as in if my shower is too hot or too cold my skin is itchy and raw all day and my hands are scarred -.-). Because Lush is all-natural, there's very little for your skin to complain about. I'd suggest their UltraBalm: it makes your skin feel lovely, and soothes the angry patches.

I've been looking for a good product to relieve eczema; might try that one :smile:
kwassa
I have the same problem with sensitive skin; I'd suggest using cleanser and then a moisturiser. To help with the red marks I switched from Simple to E45, it's not helped completely but definitely lessened the stinging (but can feel greasy on the skin). Although I do use Simple cleanser, it seems gentler than the moisturiser for some reason :s-smilie: It's best to shop around, as the person above says, they're a bit hit-and-miss.

This, but if you do switch to E45 do a patch-test rather than slapping it all over immediately, because it doesn't agree with everyone's skin.
I used to have that when I put on moisturiser. I have quite sensitive skin you see so I just changed the cream and it's a lot better now. :smile:
you may be over-ex foliating
kwassa
I've been looking for a good product to relieve eczema; might try that one :smile:

It's a good'un. Also might be an idea to invest in some DreamWash shower cream. It doesn't smell great (though my mum thought it smelt lovely) but it's specially formulated for very sensitive skin/eczema-sufferers. And, well, it basically stopped my skin falling off. Very handy :wink:
Try another moisturiser.

Something being 'sensitive' or 'all-natural' is no guarantee it's going to agree with your skin. I mean I'm allergic to Simple products even though it's supposedly meant to be good for sensitive skin. There's not a huge difference between most moisturisers so you really just have to shop around and find out what's good for you.
Reply 12
cheer_up_love
It's a good'un. Also might be an idea to invest in some DreamWash shower cream. It doesn't smell great (though my mum thought it smelt lovely) but it's specially formulated for very sensitive skin/eczema-sufferers. And, well, it basically stopped my skin falling off. Very handy :wink:

Shall look out for it :smile:
cheer_up_love

The tingly feeling that your experiencing isn't good for your skin whether you have dry or moist skin. Lush products are natural but natural products like lemon and citrus can cause an allergic reaction and irritation. Synthetic ingredients are not all bad, and Natural ingredients are not all good. They are pretty much the same. Another note, don't believe what the label states especially in cosmetic products.

Check out Paula's Choice products and her articles about skin products.
Reply 14
It shouldn't sting. I've only had that once before and I think it was due to an allergy - face stung, cheeks went slightly pink (which never happens to me), and my skin felt a little tight. I stopped using it and I think you should too.

Latest

Trending

Trending