The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

feedz
qm..university of london has more prestige in empliyers.

Errr, no.

I guarantee that employers would not care if you are from QM or Hull. It wouldn't make any difference in your application...
Reply 21
never say
TSR grammar police :p:

i just used I instead of O cause i was typing quickly and mistake is only due to the two keys being together in the keyboard.
feedz
i just used I instead of O cause i was typing quickly and mistake is only due to the two keys being together in the keyboard.

Sorry..no excuses!
:rofl: How is this even a question?

Hull... :lolwut:
Bubbles*de*Milo

You're right, Hull is clearly better. :awesome:
Bubbles*de*Milo

If you think you have any advantage over a Hull graduate then you are very deluded.

Oh wait, this is TSR - "omg mah uni is 10 plaices higher in da rankin so my job wil b betta".
Reply 26
I looked round Hull and thought it looked a really good university, on a nice campus, in a nice leafy part of the city.

As for the city centre itself... maybe I didn't go to the crap bits, because I thought it was pretty cool. Nothing like its reputation at all.
Reply 27
georgegabriel
Sorry..no excuses!

w/e
Reply 28
Ross E
Which and why ?

look when you are in london. you get to do internships in the big companies-if your course is such!
but staying in london keeps you in touch to the market.
uni's might be better but some uni's have rep..that counts in the job market..
rest have their opinion.!
Reply 29
I live in Hull and go to Hull University, the city isn't as bad as people seem to think it is. Every city i have seen has bad parts, and where the University is located is a good area, about 10 minutes on a bus to the city centre.
Reply 30
Dnator
Yes because opinion on whether a city is nice or not is always based upon fact :rolleyes: I live near hull, I think it is an awful place, and my friends who live there concur. As for the uni, it isn't exactly world beating and I went to some chemistry day there on a 6th form trip and the students weren't all that bright. Yes I don't have an in depth personal experience with it, but not once (other than this thread) have I ever heard anything positive said about hull or its university, which is something to think about when deciding to go there, though obviously it will have its good points - are they enough to outweigh all the bad, or would you constantly have to convince yourself that you 'loved hull'.

Well i would hope any one who considers themselves educated would seek to form an opinion on the basis of the facts of the case.

On what basis is the place awful?

In terms of the University i admit it isnt one of the best in the country but it is still a strong university with some very strong departments and research - and above all a high student satisfaction and employment rate.

I wouldnt say i loved Hull, im just sick of idiots constantly doing it down on no other basis than third hand tripe.

The university is a huge institution with a great history - it was built in 1928 - it is a redbrick Uni in the broad sense and the 14th oldest in the country. It has a put a lot of investment in over the last few years and will continue to do so.

I would urge OP to go and form his own opinions rather then basing them on those that have no real idea.

To me this questions is about Hull v's London as there is no great advantage in going to either (hard to judge as i dont know what subject you are taking). Obviously most would say to go with London but for me London wasnt of great interest and is a lot more costly, but obv the decision is yours!
DaddyT
Well i would hope any one who considers themselves educated would seek to form an opinion on the basis of the facts of the case.

On what basis is the place awful?

In terms of the University i admit it isnt one of the best in the country but it is still a strong university with some very strong departments and research - and above all a high student satisfaction and employment rate.

I wouldnt say i loved Hull, im just sick of idiots constantly doing it down on no other basis than third hand tripe.

The university is a huge institution with a great history - it was built in 1928 - it is a redbrick Uni in the broad sense and the 14th oldest in the country. It has a put a lot of investment in over the last few years and will continue to do so.

I would urge OP to go and form his own opinions rather then basing them on those that have no real idea.

To me this questions is about Hull v's London as there is no great advantage in going to either (hard to judge as i dont know what subject you are taking). Obviously most would say to go with London but for me London wasnt of great interest and is a lot more costly, but obv the decision is yours!

Those who don't think your university is particularly impressive 'don't have any real idea'?

I understand the compulsion to whiteknight one's alma mater but this is just lame.
Reply 32
xxxchrisxxx
Those who don't think your university is particularly impressive 'don't have any real idea'?

I understand the compulsion to whiteknight one's alma mater but this is just lame.

Sorry Watson perhaps you could use your skills of deduction somewhat more wisely. My point was there is a pervasive tendency to do nothing but listen to second/third hand rubbish and form opinions based on nothing else - I appreciate people will have a problem with places but perhaps they could be more constructive in there criticism by justifying it with at least something.

The fact is that the comment you have pulled me up on wasn't even aimed at the fella who had the disdain for Hull, I was simply urging the poster to work at forming his own opinions - a useful skill.
DaddyT
Sorry Watson perhaps you could use your skills of deduction somewhat more wisely. My point was there is a pervasive tendency to do nothing but listen to second/third hand rubbish and form opinions based on nothing else - I appreciate people will have a problem with places but perhaps they could be more constructive in there criticism by justifying it with at least something.

The fact is that the comment you have pulled me up on wasn't even aimed at the fella who had the disdain for Hull, I was simply urging the poster to work at forming his own opinions - a useful skill.

I live near hull, I think it is an awful place, and my friends who live there concur. As for the uni, it isn't exactly world beating and I went to some chemistry day there on a 6th form trip and the students weren't all that bright.

Sounds pretty first hand to me. A first in PPE indeed!
Reply 34
DaddyT

Pretty sure I said I live near hull, have been there many times and have spent a whole day at the university interacting with two departments. If that is third hand then what the hell do you need to have an opinion without actually studying there? But yes, ignoring that does make your point better.
Reply 35
xxxchrisxxx
Sounds pretty first hand to me. A first in PPE indeed!

Whats first hand about it

Living near Hull and seeing a few students who didnt seem bright is a perfectly logical argument for disliking a city and university?

So we must all now agree that Hull is terrible because some fella who lives 45 minutes a way and his friends dislike it for no discernable reason?

Like i say he may have a good reason but he didnt state it in a constructive manner -To be honest we still dont know what first hand experience he has of the place other then he lives within a vague vacinity. Far to regularly people will barge in and give an opinion (like his first post) with no real backing what so ever.
Reply 36
Dnator
Pretty sure I said I live near hull, have been there many times and have spent a whole day at the university interacting with two departments. If that is third hand then what the hell do you need to have an opinion without actually studying there? But yes, ignoring that does make your point better.

Is that like ignoring the fact that i have already stated the point wasnt directed at you but was a general criticism.
Reply 37
DaddyT
Whats first hand about it

Living near Hull and seeing a few students who didnt seem bright is a perfectly logical argument for disliking a city and university?

So we must all now agree that Hull is terrible because some fella who lives 45 minutes a way and his friends dislike it for no discernable reason?

Like i say he may have a good reason but he didnt state it in a constructive manner -To be honest we still dont know what first hand experience he has of the place other then he lives within a vague vacinity. Far to regularly people will barge in and give an opinion (like his first post) with no real backing what so ever.

Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh in my first post. It should have gone :

In my own opinion
Go to QMUL
Unless you can't afford London
Hull is not a very nice city
Though it has some ok areas
The uni is never rated very highly, it has stronger departments than others but don't expect people to be impressed you went to hull, more likely the opposite (again, just anecdotal evidence)
This is futile, as people who go to hull will defend it and say that any criticism of it is unfounded unless you live in the city and have an in depth knowledge of the university. OP should just go to an open day and see if they like it.
Reply 38
Dnator
Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh in my first post. It should have gone :

In my own opinion
Go to QMUL
Unless you can't afford London
Hull is not a very nice city
Though it has some ok areas
The uni is never rated very highly, it has stronger departments than others but don't expect people to be impressed you went to hull, more likely the opposite (again, just anecdotal evidence)
This is futile, as people who go to hull will defend it and say that any criticism of it is unfounded unless you live in the city and have an in depth knowledge of the university. OP should just go to an open day and see if they like it.

See this i dont mind at least its a little more objective and you state that its based on anecdotal evidence.

To an extent you are correct it may be somewhat futile - but then people who went to Hull have a right to defend it as people who know the university better.

Latest

Trending

Trending