The Student Room Group

My acne is making me depressed

Hey,

I'm 21 and have had acne since I was 13.

I've noticed my acne has changed over the past couple of years - it has gone from the typical T-zone spots that come to a head, to deep painful & large spots particularly along my jawline and angle of my jaw, with some up the sides of my face. My forehead, nose and cheek areas are clear (accept some scarring).

My skin doesn't seem oily anymore, but it is extremely dry. I can't use soap as it makes my skin go tight, I can't use clearasil because it stings & goes red, and even Simple facewash makes my skin go tight. The best facewash I've used is Liz Earle, but even then my spots remained.

I've seen the GP and had all the topical stuff. Benzoyl peroxide irritates my skin awfully. Antibiotics and the pill have had no effect either.

I'm going to see the GP tomorrow, but I don't know what else can be done without being referred. Has anyone else been through something similar? I'm so down about it. My acne is all I see when I look in the mirror. I can't stand to be seen out without concealer - the thought of having to see the doc with no makeup on is making me feel sick.

Cheers for any advice

Scroll to see replies

Use and needle to get rid of them.
Reply 2
Cesare Borgia
Use and needle to get rid of them.

No
Reply 3
Ask for doxycycline, tetralysal, or differin gel. Worked for me.
Reply 4
My friend had horrible acne, looked like an infection, i think it was an allergic reaction, i think she went to see the doc about it too.
so, i don't think remedies from the doctor worked, but this homemade egg whites remedy did.
http://www.acne.org/egg-white-mask-reviews/203/page1.html

here are the instructions:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5228456_use-egg-whites-clear-acne.html

Just try it now, you've got nothing to loose.
ive had a similar situation, it used to be small spots ,then it turned in large boiles, it used to make my whole face swollen, one day i woke up and had a hude lump under my eye, and my mum tought i have been punched, thankgod recently it has calmed down now, i think its coz my diet is better. it all depends on your diet
Oh dear... QUIT seeing the GP they are useless when it comes to acne. All those facewashes aren't doing anything for you either... But one thing I would definitely recommend is the Symba medicated soap (a blue soap which you'll find in the pharmacy), it's really worth the journey to the pharmacy I think. You have to demand to be referred to a dermatologist and they should refer you. Then things will improve. :smile: They know what they're doing. If it doesn't get any better, they can prescribe this very powerful drug which can clear things up before you can say acne. They can give scar treatment too.

... And stop wearing make up to see the doctor. Make up just blocks up all your pores and it really does aggravate acne. It would help a lot if you limited your make up usage.

Oh yeah and don't touch Bio Oil with a barge pole.
Reply 7
Use a good moisturizer, it shouldn't make you break out and it will help with dry/sore skin. I use Dr Hauschka, it's completely natural and it's brilliant, but it is expensive. I really think it's worth the money but obviously it's not an option for everyone. Clarins is also good, but expensive. You could try getting a facial aimed at helping acne. Again they can be expensive but you get really good skincare tips.
It's also worth looking at your diet. Intolerance to wheat and/or dairy can cause breakouts so you could try reducing the amounts of these that you eat. Drinking a lot of water is always good and should help the dryness of your skin.
I understand that it's horrible not wearing make-up when your skin is bad, but if you aren't going out try to leave your skin clear and make sure you remove make-up properly at night. Look at getting make up that is designed not to block skin/cause break outs. Bare Minerals is a good brand, clinique does good make up too. Also make sure you are keeping your make up brushes clean.
Ask your GP for a different type of antibiotic, there are lots and sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right one, i tried about 4 different ones over a few years. If you have been on antibiotics for a significant period of time and your skin is still bad, your GP may refer you to a dermatologist who can prescribe roaccutane (aka accutane). It's a stronger medication and can have quite serious side-effects but apparently it almost always works. Most people do one three-month course and that clears up their acne completely, but it causes dry skin and lips, it can cause hair loss, depression, thinning of the skin etc, so of course you should seriously think about whether you want to take it.
I hope that helps, I really understand how you feel and I know how horrible having bad skin is. If you have any other questions or anything i'm happy to try to help.
Reply 8
Anonymous
Hey,

I've noticed my acne has changed over the past couple of years - it has gone from the typical T-zone spots that come to a head, to deep painful & large spots particularly along my jawline and angle of my jaw, with some up the sides of my face. My forehead, nose and cheek areas are clear (accept some scarring).

My skin doesn't seem oily anymore, but it is extremely dry. I can't use soap as it makes my skin go tight, I can't use clearasil because it stings & goes red, and even Simple facewash makes my skin go tight. The best facewash I've used is Liz Earle, but even then my spots remained.

I've seen the GP and had all the topical stuff. Benzoyl peroxide irritates my skin awfully. Antibiotics and the pill have had no effect either.

I'm going to see the GP tomorrow, but I don't know what else can be done without being referred. Has anyone else been through something similar? I'm so down about it. My acne is all I see when I look in the mirror. I can't stand to be seen out without concealer - the thought of having to see the doc with no makeup on is making me feel sick.

Cheers for any advice

I use 2 parts yogurt + 2 parts oatmeal + 0.5-1 part honey mixture and apply to my face every night before going to bed......it works really well but you have to do it every night......
after u apply the mixture to ur face leave it dry for 20 mins (but i leave them for 1 hour or so) before washing just scrub the oatmeal gently on ur face and wash off:eek3:
it realli does work for me......
I used to have uncountable of acne on my face and tried alll possible medicine on earth
but this has realli solved the problem
you can also use white eggs remedies as what 'MJlover' sugested that also work welll...
Just dont use scrub to wash your face and during day time keeep washing ur face wid normal (tap) water...
After one week u will see a major improvement......:woo: :woo:

Hope this work for you....at least dis worth a try..:yep: :yep:

also donot put make up or apply any medicine or creme after u apply the mixture......just go off to bed after that...:rolleyes:
Reply 9
Juice one lemon in a cup and then add some water and drink it. Do this everyday and in a few days you should start seeing improvements. It worked really well on me!
Try some of that stuff that people here have said.
You'd be surprised how much **** GP's chat.
Reply 11
I used to have fcuking awful acne mate- I feel your pain. Used to wake up with blood ans **** all over my sheets & tshirts etc. Doc fobbed me off with the sh**y range of oral antibiotics, none of which worked. Eventually i got referred to a dermatologist and they put me on the only ruthlessly effective acne drug there is- accutane. This stuff is strong, but rediculously effective- I have no acne at all now. If your acne is bad you'll get the same.
Anonymous
Hey,

Cheers for any advice

hibiscrub?
Roaccutane. 'Tis a vicious brew, but it did the business on my face. My skin was totally clear half way through the treatment and still is nearly a year on.

The side effects are a bastard though.
I have acne since about 14 or something.... and have tried many antibiotics and stuff but the one thing that has had an affect is drinking lots more water... i use to drink like 2 glasses a day maximum, then started drinking 8 to 10 a day and after about a week all my spots where gone... saying that i let it slide and they are some what back but i'll just start this up again and get most of them away!
Antibiotics (except Roacc) will very rarely have a long lasting effect i.e. getting rid of your acne forever.

You can either ask to be referred to a derm who might offer treatments such as roaccutane, chemical peels, laser treatment. As long as you don't have a nut allergy, roacc is available to you.
frm what you described its not too bad, i was expecting you to say you had acne all over your face. try using freederm, it worked for me
One thing about roacc, though: From the OP I assume that we're talking about a she (not many guys I know wear concealer.) Roaccutane can damage foetal development, so for a girl to be given it, she has to be on something like two kinds of birth control for a month before and after. Dermatologists can therefore be a little hesitant about giving it out.
I got given lymaciline today,, which works for me. On the other note, try your diet! you read it tonnes online etc and you dont beleieve it or think its too hard to try. I tried it and it helped! I eliminated all obvious dairy products, ie cheese, youghurt and milk. I stopped eating chocolate and fizzy drinks, and I cut down on the booze. (cant eliminate that completely eh, just no jaeger bombs! ) I basicly ate natrual stuff, anything that had been through a big factory with obvious aditives added all over I avoided.

Try exercising, also made some progress for me. Sweat it out. A 45 min rapid cycle a day.

Also, try not washing your face at all/ once a day for a week. Maybe pop your spots or whatevz if you need to go out, but just leave the skin alone

goodluck
Fission_Mailed
One thing about roacc, though: From the OP I assume that we're talking about a she (not many guys I know wear concealer.) Roaccutane can damage foetal development, so for a girl to be given it, she has to be on something like two kinds of birth control for a month before and after. Dermatologists can therefore be a little hesitant about giving it out.

I'd say there's the same level of hesitation considering that side effect as the other side effects. AFAIK you do take birth control and have regular pregnancy tests, as long as you're not silly enough to not take precautions against getting pregnant, all should be good.

Latest