The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

TheSownRose
I ask because this thread reminded me of the dirty looks people used to throw me when I took my young cousin (as in, less than a year) to the park opposite my house when I was about fifteen/sixteen years old.

If you saw a teenager with a young child, would you automatically assume it was their child, even with no evidence that it is?

Not necessarily, but if they looked like a chav - hell yes. :yep:
Reply 2
TheSownRose
I ask because this thread reminded me of the dirty looks people used to throw me when I took my young cousin (as in, less than a year) to the park opposite my house when I was about fifteen/sixteen years old.

If you saw a teenager with a young child, would you automatically assume it was their child, even with no evidence that it is?

Very good question :smile:

These days because of so many underage preggies going around, my first thought would be yes.
Reply 3
im so academic
Not necessarily, but if they looked like a chav - hell yes. :yep:

:rofl: :yep:
Reply 4
If she looked skanky then yes.
Reply 5
i hate to admit it but it depends how they are dressed. If they are dressed like a Chav then yeah I would assume its theirs but otherwise my first thought would be younger sibling.
Reply 6
No usually I don't. But I can imagine plenty of people do. I'm less likely to assume it's theirs than I would with an adult (where I'd usually assume the woman pushing was the mum).

EDIT: Looking at other posts, I do agree that the clothing etc could make a difference, although it shouldn't. It might also change depending on what they're doing- a weekly shop might make me more inclined to think the girl was the mother, as opposed to a stroll in the park.

Although I don't mind- I don't think having kids young is a good idea, but it's up to the girl and I don't know the situation. Maybe if I was more judgemental I'd be quicker to assume?
.Ali.
:rofl: :yep:

Let's be honest, it is true. :p:
No, id assume it was mine :perv:
Reply 9
This reminds of a few weeks ago when I was at a local shopping centre and I saw this ned from my school who left last year with a girl who was pushing a pram. Now obviously that was their child. But I would normally assume sibling/cousin.
I take my 3 year old nephew out and I always get people looking at me like I've done something wrong. Even had people make comments as they go past - and no I dont look like a chav!
Reply 11
Hmm, well at first I'd think maybe and then I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and think that it might be a sibling/cousin/niece or nephew. You never know so there's no point immediately judging.

I'd never give them a dirty look though, that's just horrible.
Reply 12
im so academic
Let's be honest, it is true. :p:

Haha yes, very true :p:
Reply 13
Not necessarily, I try not to, because I'm often seen with my nieces/nephew.
Broderss
If she looked skanky then yes.

I agree with him. He talks sense. :yep:
if they looked like a chav.....HELL YES!!!

but I usually take my younger sister out with me to the shops or whatever if I need to get milk etc. and I certainly don't look like the sort who would be a teen father, even though my sister looks a helluva lot like me
Screaming paedo is more fun.
I agree, it depends on how they are dressed.

But looking at how most people dress around me - yes.
TheSownRose

Yes.
YES.
This reminds me of when my moms friend left her 2 year old baby with her 17 year old daughter.
She came to my house with the baby because she was into me and everything. The next things she goes like, whe should go to the park with her 2 year old brother and im like HELL NO. Poeple might think we are a teenage couple with a baby