The Student Room Group

Discrimination if applying before October 15th?

I want to apply for university quite early, like around the end of september or beginning of october, but I'm not applying for Oxbridge. I've heard some rumours that if you apply before October 15th, a lot of universities assume you're applying to oxbridge and are slightly less likely to give you an offer. So basically, are these rumours true? I don't want to hinder my chances of getting into uni, but I want to get my application sent off early! What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
rebekaht
I want to apply for university quite early, like around the end of september or beginning of october, but I'm not applying for Oxbridge. I've heard some rumours that if you apply before October 15th, a lot of universities assume you're applying to oxbridge and are slightly less likely to give you an offer. So basically, are these rumours true? I don't want to hinder my chances of getting into uni, but I want to get my application sent off early! What should I do?

Then by your reckoning you should clearly send your application off after October 15th. The rumour may be completely false of course, but if in the end you think that there could be some truth in it then you should apply after October 15th.

It doesn't seem very fair that unis would do that though...
Reply 2
The rumours aren't true.

a) Plenty of people, like yourself, want to get it sorted early.
b) Why the hell would universities want to disadvantage oxbridge applicants? The vast majority aren't going to get in but will still be some of the best applicants.
c) Universities have plenty of information to assess you on, why bother with some evidence which tells them nothing.
Reply 3
why do you want to send it off so early?
Reply 4
You'll be fine. I applied before 15th October and got five offers from Russel group unis so in my experience it definately helped applying early
Reply 5
I've been wondering about this too. Everyone advises you to get your application in as soon as possible while admissions tutors aren't getting that many so I want to do that but I don't want it to be assumed that I'm an Oxbridge candidate if that will hinder my chances!
bluesky42
why do you want to send it off so early?

More chance to get considered. Some unis operate a yes, no, maybe pile system when dishing out offers. If you apply early and are a borderline case, you can be considered many more times.

After all, if you apply in January there will be fewer offers left to give out compared to if you apply in October.
Reply 7
bubble11
I've been wondering about this too. Everyone advises you to get your application in as soon as possible while admissions tutors aren't getting that many so I want to do that but I don't want it to be assumed that I'm an Oxbridge candidate if that will hinder my chances!

Why would being assumed an Oxbridge candidate hinder your chances? Most people who apply to Oxbridge don't get in.
Reply 8
I want to send mine off early too!
Get it out of the way!
use the search function this has been done soo many times.

there is NO discrimination whatsoever.
Reply 10
tigger034
You'll be fine. I applied before 15th October and got five offers from Russel group unis so in my experience it definitely helped applying early

Ohh that's alright then! I think I probably will apply early now, looking at what everyone's said!
Reply 11
Complete ******** IMO. I applied before Oct 15 and got offers from some universities before that deadline.

Out of interest, why aren't you applying to Oxbridge? If you're predicted AAA it's worth giving it a go, don't worry about being rejected. If you're not predicted AAA, obviously they won't discriminate against you since the chances of you getting in are very slim anyway.
Reply 12
In my school, they're recomending that we send them off as soon as possible because they seem to think the universities will be less picky than in January.
doivid
Why would being assumed an Oxbridge candidate hinder your chances? Most people who apply to Oxbridge don't get in.

Totally agree. If the uni thinks that half of all oxbridge applicants will get rejected, there's no point in offering half as many offers than usual as half of the people you make offers to will still get Oxbridge offers (as the standard of applicants is nearly indistinguishable).

Departments factor this in - they know roughly what proportion of applicants will end up going to rival universities.
rebekaht

i talked to general unis for good courses, and they gave me this info,

go on there sites they tell you when they even start looking at apps so sending it off early wont do much.

some actually start at october, even though the deadline is in jan, if yous end around this time you will be fine and look good, since the majority send it a bit after (many in december)

i applied to pharmacy as a back but because i was doing medicine i had to apply in october anyway, but i thought heck might as well send of my app to pharmacy as well. i got response and a few days and they said that although had sent it on the date they start considering apps, not many other people had :biggrin:

i dont think they would think bad about sending it earlier, i would have thought it makes you look good :biggrin:
Reply 15
after-glow
In my school, they're recomending that we send them off as soon as possible because they seem to think the universities will be less picky than in January.

It's not just that- if your sixth form is anything like mine, there will be many people sitting about until January then applying, meaning they have to write loads of references and check applications in a tiny space of time. This often leads to mistakes.

They are probably just doing anything they can to encourage people to get it over with and not leave it too late.:smile:

EDIT:
rebekaht

OP just notice you are considering 5th option... UEA is nice. If you want to know anything about it feel free to PM me, I can tell you the honest answer and help you decide.
Reply 16
doivid

I don't know, I've just heard the rumour and it must've come from somewhere. I think people say that if you apply really early then some unis will assume that you're unlikely to accept an offer from a uni much lower than Oxbridge which, yes I know, sounds silly but you never know what goes on in these admissions tutors' heads :eek3: :p: They're going to be looking for all sorts of ways to discriminate between the mountains of applicants! :s-smilie:
I applied before the Oxbridge deadline and got 5 offers. There really is no discrimination - you'll be fine!
Reply 18
Edgey
Complete ******** IMO. I applied before Oct 15 and got offers from some universities before that deadline.

Out of interest, why aren't you applying to Oxbridge? If you're predicted AAA it's worth giving it a go, don't worry about being rejected. If you're not predicted AAA, obviously they won't discriminate against you since the chances of you getting in are very slim anyway.

I was considering applying to Oxford for a while, but I really don't think I'm the right sort of student. I don't yet know whether I'll be predicted AAA because my school doesn't decide until we have our AS level results, but it's quite possible I won't be, so I don't think I'd get in anyway!
Reply 19
I applied waaaay before the deadline. I was applying for Law so I was told to get it in quite early as it's very competitive and you have a better chance if it's in early. Many hand out some places on a first come first served bases (or so I've been told, this may be incorrect).

Also, I was given an offer by all 5 of my university choices, so it didn't have any negative effect being in early.
I'd say get it in early. There was nothing better than watching the rest of my class struggle over getting everything in, knowing I had got it all sent away. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending