The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Kay :)
Due to really bad teaching, attitude of teachers, lack of support, students, atmosphere+lack of work ethos.

Ahh that sucks lol, must be a relief to get away from that.
nofish4u
lulz i was expecting a rejection from one of them just because they are so exclusive... but all three 0.o you can add durham to that list too :P

Predicted grades mean nothing though. They look at your individual AS Module scores.
Reply 82
SirRamAlot
Ahh that sucks lol, must be a relief to get away from that.

I know, your telling me :|

But never mind :smile: Hopefully I'll get into this college at my interview.

Let's see what the 19th churns out for us ayy!
Reply 83
Deep456
Predicted grades mean nothing though. They look at your individual AS Module scores.

which for me were all above 90% :P
nofish4u

your personal statement mustve been an epic fail man :lolwut:
Reply 85
nofish4u

My school don't cash in.
Reply 86
asdfg0987
your personal statement mustve been an epic fail man :lolwut:

i guess so :P i really didnt think it was but hey the verdict has been presented :P
BethTyrie
A*s at a level aren't like other grades - rather than averaging your mark you have to get over 90% in all a level modules and an A overall at AS

Not entirely correct I'm afraid.

In order to achieve an A*, you must average 90% at A2 (as you stated), and average an A (80%) for the entire two years. You do not need to get an A at AS. For example - 70% at AS and 90% at A2 would be an A* because this averages to 80% for the two years, with a 90% average in A2.
HighestKungFu
LOL nice one, that made me laugh!

:proud:
nofish4u

However, in your personal profile it states you got 3 As, 2Bs and 1 C.

The 2Bs and 1 C could have made a huge difference.
Reply 90
Deep456
However, in your personal profile it states you got 3 As, 2Bs and 1 C.

The 2Bs and 1 C could have made a huge difference.

i dropped those tho.. i carried on the ones i got As in.. which were all above 90% UMS

surely having 6 AS even if 3 of them are not AS is a positive to an application?
Reply 91
Of course it would be an advantage to have 4 a*'s, but is almost impossible, but never say never
nofish4u
i dropped those tho.. i carried on the ones i got As in.. which were all above 90% UMS

surely having 6 AS even if 3 of them are not AS is a positive to an application?

That's the thing, a lot of the top unis want As in all the subjects even if you drop them. Like most people will have 4 A grades at AS whereas you had 3. This is what the cause for rejection could have been. However, you still did very well to get 90% in 3 of them.
Nothing is impossible and work hard to achieve those grades. I think you'll be fine but dont just aim for 4 A*s as the minimum grades that you'd like to achieve. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 94
well as its results day you have obviously seen its possible if you want a case study i took the subjects you mentioned and got 4A* and an A which were my predictions I only applied to bio natsci at cambridge last year and got two interviews (one pool) i'm sure people will quote examples of otherwise but those A level grades and a reasonable ps should get you an interview at oxbridge and a place anywhere else, although any extra testing may change things the GCSEs may be a bit of a problem though, hopefully with the A* it will be less on an issue but i know some unis were said to have a minimum no. of As or A*s needed just so they could cut down on their admissions pile.
Reply 95
Yes of course it's possible!
2 people in my year got 4A*s out of like 120, and 2 got 3A*s.... lots of people got 2-1A*s

Latest