The Student Room Group

Very confused and need help please!

Ok basically i'm beyond confused! Just to let you know where i'm at in september i will be starting year 13 so my final year in college.
Whats confusing me though is: UCAS applications? what are these? do i have to do one? if yes by when?
Personal statements, less confused with this one as i actually know what it is but when does it have to be done by?
Whats clearing?
Also when do we choose the uni's we are interested in?

I'm sure theres more stuff i dont know about but this is what im aware of and dont understand.
Any help is VERY appreciated:smile:
Reply 1
The UCAS application is how you apply to university, so you have to do it if you're planning to go to uni. You log in using your student number on the website, then you pick 6 University courses to apply to, and write your personal statement. The Unis look at your GCSEs, predicted A levels and personal statement to decide whether to accept you.

Your school/college should really be helping you with all this so they'll probably talk to you about it as soon as term starts but if they don't talk to your tutor or careers advisor because you shouldn't have to do it by yourself!
vickyyyy
Ok basically i'm beyond confused! Just to let you know where i'm at in september i will be starting year 13 so my final year in college.
Whats confusing me though is: UCAS applications? what are these? do i have to do one? if yes by when?
Personal statements, less confused with this one as i actually know what it is but when does it have to be done by?
Whats clearing?
Also when do we choose the uni's we are interested in?

I'm sure theres more stuff i dont know about but this is what im aware of and dont understand.
Any help is VERY appreciated:smile:

UCAS (Universities and Colleges Advisory System) are the people who co-ordinate most undergraduate university applications in the United Kingdom. When you are applying for uni, you will fill in a UCAS form on their website. The UCAS form includes your personal details, up to 5 university choices, any confirmed grades you have and your predicted grades for year 13, a reference from your college, and your personal statement. The UCAS wiki on TSR has more detail on the system and how it works, as does the UCAS website.

Your college are likely to have some kind of "how to apply to uni" talk when term kicks off. Over summer, it would be a good idea if you start to consider where you'd like to study and what course, look at grade boundaries and so on, so that you can start your application properly and go to some university open days come September/October.
It looks like you have quite a bit to catch up on. I'd suggest you go through the relevant sections of the TSR wiki.

UCAS: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UCAS

Personal Statement: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_Your_Personal_Statement

Clearing: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Introduction_to_Clearing

These are just some links to get you started but do browse around the site.
Don't worry - everything will be explained by the college when you return.
Reply 5
How has your college/school not told you about any of this...?
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies! Everything seems much clearer now thank you :smile:
musicman018299
Don't worry - everything will be explained by the college when you return.

Ah, the simple hope of people who went to good schools. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending