The Student Room Group
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
What is there similar to Government and Poltics at GCSE that you could have done?
Reply 3
Krakatoa
What is there similar to Government and Poltics at GCSE that you could have done?

Politics?
Reply 4
.:Doctor:.
Politics?

I didn't even know there was a politics course at GCSE.
I done Politics for a-level and didn't do anything related, well History, but that isn't directly related.
Reply 5
For many A Levels like that they won't expect you to have studied it before.
Reply 6
You don't need to, I'm on track for an A without doing an essay humanity (excluding english) at GCSE.

I also highly recommend you take it, I did OCR with my AS year on British contemporary government and my second on political thought, very insightful and interesting :smile:
This is a subject which really interests me, but is it wise to study G & P at A-level without studying it or something similar at GCSE? How many of you have done so, and what grade have you got?

Thanks.

It's fine. It doesn't require any knowledge of Politics at "GCSE" and as far as I recall correctly there isn't a Politics GCSE.

The qualification was designed so that people can study Politics - without knowing anything about Politics typically.

/thread
Reply 8
im so academic
It's fine. It doesn't require any knowledge of Politics at "GCSE" and as far as I recall correctly there isn't a Politics GCSE.

The qualification was designed so that people can study Politics - without knowing anything about Politics typically.

/thread

Thank you! that's a relief :smile:
Thank you! that's a relief :smile:

Yep, here's the evidence from the AQA Politics course (scroll down to page 24).

"4.4 Prior Learning
There are no prior learning requirements."

:h:
Reply 10
I did Edecel Govt and Politics without studying it at GCSE.
All I had that was remotely similar was history.
Got an A at AS and I'm predicted an A* (although I think an A is more likely) at A2.
You don't need any prior knowledge. Although I had an interest in politics, I didn't know a huge amount. There were people in my class who didn't know who David Cameron was and they still did well. AS is basically about learning the political theory. It's a really enjoyable course and I learnt alot.
I have just finished AS govt and politics on AQA and got an A :smile:, there is absolutly no need to have done a GCSE related subject. i did history GCSE but this had nothing to do with it. all you need to do is make sure your going to stay interested and keep up to date with news.
Good luck!
Hey guys, I've extensively researched this as I hoped to study politics at GCSE, and I can confirm that there are no Politics courses whatsoever at this level. Good luck with the A-level Doctor :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending