The Student Room Group

People's views on taking extra subjects

Hey everyone - I was curious to know what people on here think about doing extra subjects. This year (S4) I sat both Int 2 Computing and Higher Music as extra subjects i.e. outside the timetable. A few other people in my year did either Int 2 or Higher Music as extras as well as a few people doing Int 2 Italian and my friend and I are most probably going to be doing Higher Latin outside the timetable next year. How many people, if any, in your schools do this? Do you think it's worth it if you enjoy the subject and can't do it in the timetable?
Any views welcome :smile:
Reply 1
Well from my school 4 people did an extra higher out-with their timetable this year, 5 last year. If you enjoy the subject and are willing to put in extra time into it there's no reason why you can't do it outside your timetable.
I honestly see it as unnecessary. I was going to do AH Music as well as my other subject last year (AH maths, physics, comp and crash H graphics), but decided against it pretty early on. I felt that what was timetabled it enough work, but not so much that you have to put too much effort into it.

If you're genuinely interested in the subject, and feel you're missing out, sure, go for it, but I feel that the 8 sg's/int's, 5 H's or 3 AH's + 1 H for each corresponding year is enough.

It's a completely individual thing tbh, and depends on their circumstances. I'm all for it if the person can cope/wants to do it. Screw necessary
Reply 4
I completely respect people who want to do it (and I can understand why you did Computing derangedyoshi, as your teacher was a babe :P). However, I feel that people who do 5 Advanced Highers or something, and don't want to apply for Oxbridge etc, are wasting the time they should be enjoying. That being said, if you have a passion for the extra subjects, and are capable of doing it, who are we to tell you not to?
Reply 5
Yeah, I know a few people who've done it. If you genuinely love the subject for the subject's sake, or you really need it, and (for whatever reason) you can't do it in school, then I think it's a good idea, go for it.

But if you don't need or really want it, and are just doing it for an 'extra' on a UCAS form, it's really just not worth it. Getting good results in your Highers and whatnot already proves to the uni you are good at exams, spending all that effort just to provide more evidence of that is a waste of time in my opinion. You'd be better off getting experience if you really want something for your personal statement.
Reply 6
I know a girl who did Higher Music in 4th year, and she got an A :smile: If you love it, by all means, go for it.
Reply 7
Some people even do Advanced Highers in S5. One person in my school did Advanced Higher Music in S5 and got an A.
Reply 8
Vitamin D
I know a girl who did Higher Music in 4th year, and she got an A :smile: If you love it, by all means, go for it.

I thought that you had to be a certain age or in 5h year to be presented at higher level. :s-smilie:
911 bob
I thought that you had to be a certain age or in 5h year to be presented at higher level. :s-smilie:

I got 87% in Higher Music this year, and I'm in S4 and young for my year.

EDIT: Well, I'm in S5 now... sorry for any confusion
911 bob

Nope, not as far as I know. I also know two girls who did Higher Art in 4th year.
Reply 11
Vitamin D
Nope, not as far as I know. I also know two girls who did Higher Art in 4th year.

Vitamin D

I got 87% in Higher Music this year, and I'm in S4 and young for my year.

EDIT: Well, I'm in S5 now... sorry for any confusion

Obviously not then.
Its just I was told by teachers that we couldn't be presented for highers early.
And they were using that as an arguement against fast tracking students through standard grades. Because those students would have 2 years to do highers (due to not being able to be presented early), which reduces the degree of difficulty of the course.