The Student Room Group

Where to stay in Newcastle?

Hi all,

Didn't entirely know where this should go, so feel free to shuffle it about a bit!

Basically, I've booked a trip oop North to see Newcastle University and lounge around the city for a couple of days. Trouble is, I'm from wayyyy down South, don't know the area from Jack, have no relatives within 100 miles, and ideally would prefer not to be on the streets for 2 nights! The kicker is that I have like £50 to last me.

So, fire away guys: where the heck can I rest my weary head for a couple of nights for under £50?

Any help (and contact numbers, where applicable!) would be much appreciated! :biggrin:
£50? You'll be lucky pal. Best bet is the Premier Inn right in the centre. Book in advance and its £29 a night. Otherwise my sofa is free for £25 a night :biggrin:

Heres a link to the official visit newcastle webpage. http://www.visitnewcastlegateshead.com/ good luck....
Reply 2
viktavondoom
£50? You'll be lucky pal. Best bet is the Premier Inn right in the centre. Book in advance and its £29 a night. Otherwise my sofa is free for £25 a night :biggrin:

Heres a link to the official visit newcastle webpage. http://www.visitnewcastlegateshead.com/ good luck....

Give you £15 a night for the sofa. :wink: That's honest to God how desperate I am. :p:
houseelf
Give you £15 a night for the sofa. :wink: That's honest to God how desperate I am. :p:

Haha. Good one.

http://www.albatrossnewcastle.co.uk/

Its a backpackers hostel. I dont know if you'd have to lie and say you're a backpacker but its dirt cheap.
Reply 4
viktavondoom
Haha. Good one.

http://www.albatrossnewcastle.co.uk/

Its a backpackers hostel. I dont know if you'd have to lie and say you're a backpacker but its dirt cheap.

Just spotted this on the last site you linked me to. Seems like a pretty good bet, actually. Know anything about the place, or am I on my own? :o:

I'll have a pretty hefty backpack on me anyway, so it'd only be a little white lie!

Thanks for the help mate, you're a lifesaver. I'll give the Albatross a more thorough checking out, and if they don't meet my standards, I'll be back onto you about that couch. :wink:
houseelf
Just spotted this on the last site you linked me to. Seems like a pretty good bet, actually. Know anything about the place, or am I on my own? :o:

I'll have a pretty hefty backpack on me anyway, so it'd only be a little white lie!

Thanks for the help mate, you're a lifesaver. I'll give the Albatross a more thorough checking out, and if they don't meet my standards, I'll be back onto you about that couch. :wink:

Trust, Josef Fritzl's cellar would be like the Ritz compared to my front room ha.

Good luck.
Reply 6
Is this 50 quid for two nights; if so you'll be really lucky to get anything. Otherwise try the usual premier inns, travel inns etc to see if any of them are cheaper. And look at the Grainger Hotel and Bentley's, cause they tend to be cheaper. Or try a hostel.
Reply 7
viktavondoom
Trust, Josef Fritzl's cellar would be like the Ritz compared to my front room ha.

Good luck.

Hehe, to be fair, if the alternative is "outside under the bridge", I'll take the f-Ritz-l anyday. :yep:
Reply 8
Travelodge; £19 a night if you book 21 days in advance, otherwise its £29 a night 7 days in advance.
Reply 9
Well, having contacted the Albatross it seems that the policy of most hostels (and hotels!) in the area is not to admit anyone under the age of 18. Being an agonising 19 days short of this, it seems I'm royally screwed, for want of a better term! :p:

Bridge it is!
Reply 10
houseelf
Well, having contacted the Albatross it seems that the policy of most hostels (and hotels!) in the area is not to admit anyone under the age of 18. Being an agonising 19 days short of this, it seems I'm royally screwed, for want of a better term! :p:

Bridge it is!

Are you 18 on the 29th Aug?

Also, it might say that in their T&Cs but do they actually enforce it?
orca92
Is this 50 quid for two nights; if so you'll be really lucky to get anything. Otherwise try the usual premier inns, travel inns etc to see if any of them are cheaper. And look at the Grainger Hotel and Bentley's, cause they tend to be cheaper. Or try a hostel.

But... the Grainger is a dump (from what I heard, my friends parents couldn't even get a taxi to pick them up).

Hostels are probably your best bet. I don't know much about the albatross, but its right in the city centre - walking distance to everywhere!
Reply 12
Panic's off! I managed to find a cheap and cheerful place not far out from the city centre called "Backpackers Newcastle" that cater for anyone from 16 upwards. Sorted!

Thanks for all the help, guys, you've been brilliant. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending