The Student Room Group

Help with art personal statement for uni..please?

well i'm not sure where to start, tsr offer help which is great and they said makes notes first, so here they are: i wanna study fine art/illustration/drawing in uni...why because..it's like a passion of mine. i love using my imagination, learning about great art works in history and always looks for ways to improve my skills.
i dunno what else to do though! any other art uni students with a ps that they can help me with? even send me it! i promise i won't copy, i wanna be original and do it myself :smile: but i need all the help i can get. :confused:
oh plus i do karate in my own time, that itself is an art (well martial art lol) which focuses on the art of movement and the mind. it's inspired by nature many of the movements too like butterflies, bees, praying mantis, tigers! i wonder if i can add that in too?
When you write one you can upload it to the PS section and receive help on it there :smile:

Also check out the personal statement section
AliiStarr
well i'm not sure where to start, tsr offer help which is great and they said makes notes first, so here they are: i wanna study fine art/illustration/drawing in uni...why because..it's like a passion of mine. i love using my imagination, learning about great art works in history and always looks for ways to improve my skills.
i dunno what else to do though! any other art uni students with a ps that they can help me with? even send me it! i promise i won't copy, i wanna be original and do it myself :smile: but i need all the help i can get. :confused:

get a step by step guide from ucas -http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/howtoapply/personalstatement/ x
Reply 3
I applied last year for photography & film production, and although its not quite the same, I guess its the same kind of field...

The most important thing for you to write in your statement is why you want to do the course... They wont interview you if tey don't think you are serious about it! It seemed to me like you had a pretty good start in what you said:
AliiStarr
it's like a passion of mine. i love using my imagination, learning about great art works in history and always looks for ways to improve my skills.

just add a bit more to that, and combine it with why you enjoy it/any relevant experience you already have in the subject you are applying for. Then you go onto the general personal statement things.. maybe the subject/s you study at the minute and how they will help you at degree level, any positions of responsibility (in or out of school, eg. prefect) and then finish with a summary paragraph. It's true when everyone says sell yourself.. They won't think you're being cocky or over confident, you really do have to go for it and make yourself stand out!

Also, remember that a lot of art applications are based on interview with a portfolio, so while the personal statement is important for getting you the interview, once you get there they are much more likely to offer you a place based on your work & your personality.

Good luck, and any more questions, PM me :smile:
Reply 4
hkwilson
I applied last year for photography & film production, and although its not quite the same, I guess its the same kind of field...

The most important thing for you to write in your statement is why you want to do the course... They wont interview you if tey don't think you are serious about it! It seemed to me like you had a pretty good start in what you said:

just add a bit more to that, and combine it with why you enjoy it/any relevant experience you already have in the subject you are applying for. Then you go onto the general personal statement things.. maybe the subject/s you study at the minute and how they will help you at degree level, any positions of responsibility (in or out of school, eg. prefect) and then finish with a summary paragraph. It's true when everyone says sell yourself.. They won't think you're being cocky or over confident, you really do have to go for it and make yourself stand out!

Also, remember that a lot of art applications are based on interview with a portfolio, so while the personal statement is important for getting you the interview, once you get there they are much more likely to offer you a place based on your work & your personality.

Good luck, and any more questions, PM me :smile:

Aww woow thank youu! that's really helpful and good to know :biggrin: :rolleyes:
Reply 5
On UAL foundation we were told specifically to avoid the word "passion" as it is too overused. :biggrin: Try to talk about artists/exhibitions you have seen, and how they have influenced your work. If you have any art related hobbies or extra curricular activities too that can be helpful - maybe you can emphasise the relationship between martial arts and your work a bit more.
Reply 6
blondesse
On UAL foundation we were told specifically to avoid the word "passion" as it is too overused. :biggrin: Try to talk about artists/exhibitions you have seen, and how they have influenced your work. If you have any art related hobbies or extra curricular activities too that can be helpful - maybe you can emphasise the relationship between martial arts and your work a bit more.

yeah i would love to encoporate my martial arts with my work! you know what you've just given me a great idea for portfolio work!!! :biggrin: thankss!!!!
Reply 7
AliiStarr
oh plus i do karate in my own time, that itself is an art (well martial art lol) which focuses on the art of movement and the mind. it's inspired by nature many of the movements too like butterflies, bees, praying mantis, tigers! i wonder if i can add that in too?

I'm at uni studying Fine Art and start my second year in september. You need to have a better idea of which course you want to pursue (illustration or fine art) because they are quite different and it may be difficult writing a ps that suits them both.
I can't help much on the illustration front but I have a pretty good idea what fine art will be after. Do you visit any galleries in your spare time? If so make sure you put it on your statement. If not, then get going to an exhibition. Then you can write it down truthfully and with confidence (as they are likely to bring up such points in your interview). Make sure they know that you are up to date with whats happening in the contemporay art world. If you're not... get clued up. It is really important. In summary just make sure they know how passionate you are and how seriously you take it.
When it comes to Fine art, your personal statement is not the most important. They'll decide if they want you based on an interview and your portfolio. So make sure your portfolio has the WOW factor.
Reply 8
If you write up a draft and post it in the PS help section one of the PS helpers will go through it with you.
Reply 9
Having not applied for art myself yet took it at a-level i can understand the enthusiasm for it. I would suggest talking about artists that have inspired your work, how they have done that and how is it relevent to why you want to study the course. You could also say how being able to study this course will enable you to expand upon your experiences as an artist and hopefully will be able to fulfil your dream, a little corny but if this is your first draft then teachers should be able to help you out. Especially your art teacher(s). Don't know if this could help but it's a basic guideline towards what i did for my PS. =)
Reply 10
Your notes are very vague at the moment. Make sure you give lots of relevant examples :smile:
Reply 11
RachelWest
I'm at uni studying Fine Art and start my second year in september. You need to have a better idea of which course you want to pursue (illustration or fine art) because they are quite different and it may be difficult writing a ps that suits them both.
I can't help much on the illustration front but I have a pretty good idea what fine art will be after. Do you visit any galleries in your spare time? If so make sure you put it on your statement. If not, then get going to an exhibition. Then you can write it down truthfully and with confidence (as they are likely to bring up such points in your interview). Make sure they know that you are up to date with whats happening in the contemporay art world. If you're not... get clued up. It is really important. In summary just make sure they know how passionate you are and how seriously you take it.
When it comes to Fine art, your personal statement is not the most important. They'll decide if they want you based on an interview and your portfolio. So make sure your portfolio has the WOW factor.

ohh ok..well i'll get going to a gallery then hehe but i actuall enjoy it...well i like tate britain and the V&A because the art makes sense and is beautiful hehe xD..and the hard thing is thinking up stuff for the folio that is epic!!! :eek3: its hard! and makin me sleepyy..hehe!
what uni do u go?
AliiStarr
ohh ok..well i'll get going to a gallery then hehe but i actuall enjoy it...well i like tate britain and the V&A because the art makes sense and is beautiful hehe xD..and the hard thing is thinking up stuff for the folio that is epic!!! :eek3: its hard! and makin me sleepyy..hehe!
what uni do u go?

The karate stuff sounds good :smile:
Leeds metropolitan univesity. Leeds Uni is higher on the overall league tables but they have virtually no arts department. It's sad.
Reply 13
DinoDork
Having not applied for art myself yet took it at a-level i can understand the enthusiasm for it. I would suggest talking about artists that have inspired your work, how they have done that and how is it relevent to why you want to study the course. You could also say how being able to study this course will enable you to expand upon your experiences as an artist and hopefully will be able to fulfil your dream, a little corny but if this is your first draft then teachers should be able to help you out. Especially your art teacher(s). Don't know if this could help but it's a basic guideline towards what i did for my PS. =)

lool thanks! that works for me i'll do that =):yep:

Latest