The Student Room Group

Advantages and disadvantages

Hi

I am considering a career in the forces, specifically the RAF, and have all the information that I can gain from AFCO, including an advantages/disadvantages list on the interview sheet. However, I understand that they are trying to meet targets and entice the best to join, so it may not be a complete list.

Basically, what I am wanting to know is from your personal experiences, what are the advantages and disadvantages of being in the RAF or in the forces. For example, travelling, relationships and work in comparison to civilian life?

Thanks in advance for any answers
Blank page questions like this are a bit hard to answer. The Armed Forces has within it dozens and dozens of different Branches, Trades and career paths. What some people see as an advantage is a disadvantage to others (travel, being away from family etc). What do you want to do? Why the Forces for you? Why the RAF in particular? Why do you think the list is incomplete (if indeed it could ever be complete)? What questions did it raise in your mind? Have you used the search function on here as well?
Reply 2
I am looking at a career as an officer, although I'm not sure which trade yet. I suppose I don't think the list is complete because, from a slightly cynical perspective, they are trying to attract people into joining, so making it more attractive as an advert to potential candidates. Although, I could be wrong.

I have looked on this forum for information on the RAF, been on the website and to AFCO. What I was wondering is what people found to be the advantages and disadvantages of the RAF from their experiences. As I am not sure what I want to apply for at the moment, it may possibly provided more insight into the roles?
Reply 3
Still not very specific.

The life of a WSO and Regiment Officer are somewhat different.
dumdumdumdidum
I suppose I don't think the list is complete because, from a slightly cynical perspective, they are trying to attract people into joining, so making it more attractive as an advert to potential candidates. Although, I could be wrong.

You are wrong. It's taxpayers money and they don't want to waste it on people who aren't aware of the pro's and cons of the work. However, all they can do is tell you the facts; because individuals are different and opinions vary. What to one person is a great life of adventure and travel, to another person is an unacceptable life separated from their family. So you have to read the facts, ask specific questions and make up your own mind if that is how you want to live your life.
You need to look harder and see what initially appeals to you, then ask more specific questions. The differences in life are massive - example might be a Pilot - only responsible for your own actions until you make Squadron Leader (10 years perhaps?) and then you'll be in charge of other Aircrew. Compare that to an Engineering Officer or a Logistician - commanding flights of perhaps 100 people of all ranks and civilian staff too - responsible for all aspects of their output for the entire time you are in that post - and that is from day 1. Vastly different roles requiring different skills and different people. Read more.
Reply 6
ProStacker
You need to look harder and see what initially appeals to you, then ask more specific questions. The differences in life are massive - example might be a Pilot - only responsible for your own actions until you make Squadron Leader (10 years perhaps?) and then you'll be in charge of other Aircrew. Compare that to an Engineering Officer or a Logistician - commanding flights of perhaps 100 people of all ranks and civilian staff too - responsible for all aspects of their output for the entire time you are in that post - and that is from day 1. Vastly different roles requiring different skills and different people. Read more.

Agreed. You'll get alot more thorough answers into lifestyles if you ask branch specific questions. Look into the branches/trades that appeal to you then find the people in that branch/trade who will be able to answer your questions.
Reply 7
Dumdidum

While agreeing with previous posters that more focussed questions will elicit better responses, I think your question is perfectly valid in order to get a general view of the lifestyle involved in a military career.

Indeed the reason I (as a dinosaur) came on TSR was because I've seen and heard too many people (specifically junior aircrew) whinge and moan that they were sold a pup at the careers office and that the job was not what they expected. In many respects they're right - it's not the fault of the CIO's but just the way that the military has had to evolve to reflect increasing commitments with decreasing manpower and resources!

Times have changed dramatically since I first joined at the height of the Cold War - I arrived in the RAF with a thirst for flying and adventure born out of classic wartime films and tales of aerial derring do from reading Biggles stories. I knew diddly about world affairs, how much I would get paid, or what the pension was like. The only gen I had about the lifestyle of an RAF officer was from recruiting literature - and in those days (late 70's) it was still cravats, sports jackets and open topped MG's with a pretty WRAF Flying Officer hanging on your every word! The lack of information didn't bother me and I fully embraced that life.

Nowadays, there is a wealth of information available and a massive sociological change has taken place since the 70's - those changes have been reflected in the RAF as well, not necessarily for the better; many people think the benefits of a military career diminished as each service became more business oriented, adopting modern commercial practices, budgetary constraints and became forced to embrace civilian legislation in all areas. The apparent incompatibility between a role involving lethal force and commercial concerns is not lost on those of us who have had to adapt to that change.

What I'm trying to say, in a long winded manner, is that, in 2010, you need to approach any career in the military as you would any other job. If you join with rose tinted glasses as I did 30 + years ago, you're likely to be severely disappointed. So research it thoroughly, ask the CIO (they're supposed to be the experts) exactly what your terms and conditions are, pay, pensions - the lot.

My military career has been brilliant. I've been round the world, stayed in everything ranging from 6* hotels with immaculate service in the Caribbean to 8 man uncondtioned tents in 45 degree heat with rockets announcing the early morning call. I've attended every major UK conflict since 1982, seen things and been places that most people wouldn't want to see or go to. Equally, been places and seen things that I know Joe Public would pay thousands of pounds to see and do.

The advantages are there and are numerous, travelling, AT (adventurous training), sports facilities you would pay lots of money to join, excellent messing facilities with superb food and subsidised booze, good pay and plenty of holidays. For me the most important advantage is working with like minded professional people who have all been through the same system and know what it's like. There is a bond which you would be hard pushed to find in any other career - you learn to trust each other with your life. The term Band of Brothers is very apt (and Sisters now, obviously!)

The main difference between this life and a civilian career is that, well it is your life. You are paid 24/7 and you are effectively on call 24/7. That doesn't mean you work every hour God sends but if the call comes, for whatever reason, you better have a damn good reason to say no. It is a very selfish lifestyle, your partner has to accept that and make his / her life fit around yours. It can work, but it requires a huge amount of commitment from partners and lots of give and take - bit like real life! It is possible to have a life outside the wire, and indeed, bosses encourage their subordinates to strike the right work / home balance if not actually practising it themselves!

So, good points, bad points. Only you can judge whether it's the right life for you. On balance over the last 30 years I'd say do it - however, the outcome of SDSR in the Autumn will have far reaching effects on the size of the military, it's roles and capabilities. It's inevitable this will affect a future military lifestyle.

I'm happy to expand on any of the above if you want and will also add my thoughts once we know the outcome of the Defence Review.

Hope this helps in some way!

TGIF It's beer o'clock :cool:

Latest