The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get on a Paramedic degree course?

Only about five - six universities in the UK actually offer a Paramedic degree course, a few more do do Foundation degrees but there are very few actual degree courses.

I imagine these are over-subscribed, and someone I know reckoned they were at around the one place to fifty applicants mark.

So realistically, what sort of A Level grades and work experience am I looking at requiring to have a good chance of getting on a course?
I've heard its quite tough in terms of the fitness test, driving etc
ak56
Only about five - six universities in the UK actually offer a Paramedic degree course, a few more do do Foundation degrees but there are very few actual degree courses.

I imagine these are over-subscribed, and someone I know reckoned they were at around the one place to fifty applicants mark.

So realistically, what sort of A Level grades and work experience am I looking at requiring to have a good chance of getting on a course?

It's more to do with the experience (the offer I got was 280 UCAS points with a B in a science, which I already had). You'd be best off joining St John Ambulance or the Red Cross and trying to get a ride along with an ambulance service. You also need to come across as knowledgeable about the ambulance service, read the bradley report and digest it, it's quite useful. Most importantly though, you have to show that you want to stick at it and that you have a passion for it!

Good luck.
It is pretty hard to get on the university courses with around 600 applicants per uni (with 20-60 places). A levels will vary from course to course but I believe 280 UCAS points is the maximum currently.

As for experience what I am doing to help my application is: becoming a Community First Responder, becoming a Brownie Leader, I'm a motorsports marshall, I'm an emergency transport attendant in St Johns, I'm a first aider at my work place, I first aid at horse shows and in October I'm doing 2 open university modules, introduction to councelling and human biology. All this whilst working full time. So as you can see some people will have a lot of things to help their application.

Latest