The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How about people get sensible and split the cost between the bride and the groom and what they can't afford, they can't have. Simple.
Reply 2
Split.
I think they should split it between the two of them, and then each one can ask parents for help or whatever.
It's traditional for the bride's parents to pay by the way, not the groom. So no, of course it shouldn't be just the guy.
I thought traditionally it was the brides mother who paid.

But these days I see no reason in splitting.

I know it's a big deal for some women, but I don't know if I'd want a huge wedding. Something small and low key (and cheap) wouldn't be awful IMO.
The Government should pay for it.
Reply 6
They should split it.
thunder_chunky
I thought traditionally it was the brides mother who paid.

But these days I see no reason in splitting.

I know it's a big deal for some women, but I don't know if I'd want a huge wedding. Something small and low key (and cheap) wouldn't be awful IMO.

I think the tradition is the brides father!
Let's not.
split it depending on how much money each one can afford. and i think parents should chip in as people generally havn't had tonnes of time to build up money by the time they get married.

if the brides family are millionaires, yet the parents of the groom and both primary school teachers. obviously the brides family should pick up more of the bill

its just a case of being sensible.
The bride and groom should spend what they can/ want to afford, whether that's equal or not, and if any parents want to contribute they can offer to. I can't see why anybody should be expected to pay tbh.
shorty.loves.angels
The bride and groom should spend what they can/ want to afford, whether that's equal or not, and if any parents want to contribute they can offer to. I can't see why anybody should be expected to pay tbh.

^What the woman said.

Or even a better solution - no wedding.
I thought it was traditional for the brides parents to pay? :s-smilie:

Anyways, that tradition doesn't really stand anymore so both bride and groom should pay what they can afford to :yep:
balloon_parade
I think the tradition is the brides father!

I meant to write "the brides parents" but for some reason my mind switched off for a minute.

So that's what I meant.

Anyway that's why I feel sorry if a man has two or more daughters.
If they all want big weddings he'd be bankrupt.
I would've though they'd be sharing the finances after the wedding anyway so wouldn't it be pointless to pile it onto the man anyway?

It should either be split between the two and/or using money from parents (although it shouldn't be asked for!)
What is the point of this thread? Men don't, typically, take sole financial responsibility for the wedding. :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Brides farther, Brides farther, Brides farther!!!
My wedding and (more importantly) honeymoon was split between me and my husband paying, and my parents paying. Because we have joint accounts though, I'm not sure exactly who paid more or whatever. It's just our money. I'm not even sure how much the whole thing cost lol.
On both sides of my family it's pretty much always been the parents exclusively.
I vote for: "No. The bride and groom should share the cost."

Latest

Trending

Trending