The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
missygeorgia

My main problem though is that it usually goes hand in hand with the attitude that we're awesome and better than other countries,

No it doesn't, it's all in your head. Most patriotic British people admire the patriotism of other countries. It's call making the most of what you've got, it's human nature.
Because patriotism in the UK has now been degraded to **** thanks to die hard tories clinging onto the idea of the empire and more guilty, the BNP who will degrade the national flag to a level where it is representative of race, rather than unity, unlike in the US where the flag is used as representative of the nation as a whole.

Secondly, there are major class divisions in britain which tbh I havent really noticed in France, Germany or The Netherlands. The Middle classes tend to be apathetic to british culture, but will defend it if necessary, whilst the upper classes enjoy a much more patriarchal british culture, based around traditional values, whilst the working class have a much more different perception of british culture. So really, 'culture' in this sense has an extremely loose definition because of how different classes view it, which is why patriotism cant be prevalent- how can an entire nation be patriotic to such a vague idea ? That said, when I was in france a year or so ago, many of the students mocked french nationalism so i guess its not an entirely new concept.

Thirdly, we are students. Back in the 60's-70's, students were much more left wing and anti-establishment. it was part of being a student, and as you grew up you would become more right wing.

On the point about 'brits abroad' I agree (as many do) that this ofc is a minority, mainly students who cause problems when on holiday. But FORIEGNERS have generalised this as 'brits abroad'. I think we should be proud that the majority of us can think rationally when it comes to minorities of pakistanis, albanians and polish people and realise that there are only a few rotten apples, rather than jump to rather bigoted conclusions.
Reply 22
Phantom_X

On the point about 'brits abroad' I agree (as many do) that this ofc is a minority, mainly students who cause problems when on holiday. But FORIEGNERS have generalised this as 'brits abroad'. I think we should be proud that the majority of us can think rationally when it comes to minorities of pakistanis, albanians and polish people and realise that there are only a few rotten apples, rather than jump to rather bigoted conclusions.

The problem is it seems to be perfectly acceptable to hold such a view against Brits (usually amplified by Britain's tabloid media like the Mail). You see people posting such views all the time on here, yet they get off pretty light compared to a British person directing stereotypes towards them. I'm not saying either view is the right one to hold. In a few cases it can go hand-in-hand with the whole "colonial guilt card" point I brought up on the previous page.
'Cause they're hippies.
Reply 24
Patriotism is fine just don't go overboard or you'll end up a raving racist.
Reply 25
Tnetinbum
self deprecation =/= actively discouraging the celebration of your own culture. It only ever seems to happen in Britain. When the world cup was on there were loads of debates on the radio and stuff about whether the English flag should be flown or not. I think when that's the case you know there's clearly some anxiety towards supporting your own country (well England in the sport/Britain anything else mainly).

I wasn't aware of these debates but flying the English flag used to be taboo because it had been appropriated by organisations like the NF. So, these debates were probably more due to historical reasons than an active distaste for English culture.
Reply 26
because there's very little in Britain to be proud of?
ak56
I see where you're coming from, but I don't think those countries are so against their own people in the same way British students are. They regard their countrymen as being misled, but I don't think they view half their country as scum in the same way British students do. Not to mention Greek and Italian universities in particular are always covered in the national flag.

Ironically, students from those countries seem to look up to Britain and view us as the haven for their idealised views for some reason.

I can speak for Greece and I have to tell you that A LOT of Greeks consider their countrymen as being corrupt, greedy, stupid, gossipy, lazy, racist, nationalistic, ****** up losers with a misguided sense of superiority.

And I highly doubt that the Greeks, at least, look up to Britain. Especially left-wing Greeks (this is almost a redudancy).
Reply 28
nofish4u
left wingers are idealists and thus retarded =]

lolz.
Because they're naive thats all :biggrin:
qwrty
because there's very little in Britain to be proud of?

Wasn't/isn't the lefts to blame for this? For keeping this country in constant POO from "bubble-world" policies..
ak56
No it doesn't, it's all in your head. Most patriotic British people admire the patriotism of other countries. It's call making the most of what you've got, it's human nature.

What does patriotism mean to you then?
Reply 32
Bourgeois

And I highly doubt that the Greeks, at least, look up to Britain. Especially left-wing Greeks (this is almost a redudancy).

I've spoken to a few Greeks (I would assume they were leftists) who seemed to have this perception that everything in the UK was all fine and dandy and utterly superior to Greece in everyway.

When I explained that Britain has issues like everywhere else, and certainly isn't in a good position economically either, they hardly believed me.

Also, why would it be a redudancy? Britain is very tolerant, accepting, and politically correct. Just what the lefties like.
missygeorgia
Well, for one I think it's illogical. I think you can value your heritage without being patriotic, and without pride in something that isn't really that pride-worthy.

My main problem though is that it usually goes hand in hand with the attitude that we're awesome and better than other countries, that we have the right to oppress other countries, and other crappy traditional, conservative ideals. It also seems to involve being proud of Britains history, which is actually a horrific one involving terrible things.

Oh wait, so a parent cant be proud of their childrens achievements without thinking that their children are the best in the world?

Funny that a person who throws the "illogical" word around, is actually an idiot.
Holte Ender
Oh wait, so a parent cant be proud of their childrens achievements without thinking that their children are the best in the world?

Funny that a person who throws the "illogical" word around, is actually an idiot.

gosh, you really know how to persuade people to change their minds. I have completely rethought and changed my mind on my stance on patriotism because you called me an idiot.
Reply 35
Holte Ender

Indeed, using the same arguement, you didn't choose your kids, so why should you be proud of them? The arguement just doesn't make sense...
Reply 36
Frankster1992
Wasn't/isn't the lefts to blame for this? For keeping this country in constant POO from "bubble-world" policies..

being on the left or identifying yourself as a liberal doesn't necessarily associate you with a political party though, does it? personally I can't stand labour, the liberal democrats, or the conservatives.

plus, up until Blair the conservatives had been in power for 2/3rds of the 20th century.
nofish4u

Oh yeas, as if right-wing nutjobs never claimed that "This country has gone to dogs!!!1!!1111"
nofish4u
Justify your sweeping statement in conjunction with the OP please.
Reply 39
It's generally naive, idealist, hippie types that spout that irritating view. The most irritating one being "You can't be proud of your country because you didn't choose it!" So you can't be proud of your intelligence, looks, abilities or family either then I suppose.

It is always a double standard though - because liking Britain is 'racist' but they consider being proud of your heritage etc important for other countries, and if you say people should integrate, that's also 'racist'.

Latest

Trending

Trending