The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

anti-duck
My brother messed up badly at school, didn't take any A-levels or any other further education, he then managed to get into university to study electrical and mechanical engineering, graduated with a 2:2 and now has a brilliant job with the MoD designing electrical and mechanical parts for vehicles.

Well done to your brother :smile:. How did he get into uni? Access course or BTEC?
OP, did you go to this university by any chance?
samba
Are you retarded? More students = more money.

If you think you're 'competing' to get a uni place you're just deluded.

Still, the smart move is not to go.

*Sigh* Where do you think the money comes from to pay tuition fees?

The government tells each uni how many places they're allowed- depending on obviously facilities, financial situation etc. Unis can't give more places than the government are willing to fund, nor more than the surrounding accommodation can handle.

You absolute idiot, don't you dare go calling me "retarded" if you're going to make such stupid comments.
Robert Paulson
lol you guys need to get a reality check, a-levels are always extremely important in the process of a job interview

for example say one guy had a 2:1 from a top 20 but AAA at a-level and another had a first from a top 20 but BCD at a-level, who do you think will be considered the better candidate? the first one will because he has shown diversity by achieving top marks in a variety of subjects, whereas the person with the first has not. sure they got a first but how intelligent are they really if they weren't even capable of getting high marks during a-levels?

a-level > degree imo... you can have a good degree but without good a-levels it is more or less useless.

A levels are only tickets to unis... the situation you are describing is due to large number of 2:1 achieving students... I don't think any employer would even ask for A levels if someone has good Bachelor's and Master's degree...
Reply 205
I've only read the first 3 pages but...
Rather then Cambridge giving out EE offers, why don't they just give unconditional offers? Its not like anyone with an EE offer will miss it?
toxik_apple
My dad got CDU in Chemistry, Physics and Maths at A-level. He then went to Queen Mary's to study Chemistry, dropped out after the first year as he couldn't do the maths and was immediately offered a job at Merrill Lynch, Dean Witter Reynolds and First Boston in London, Tokyo and New York and at 21 became one of the highest achieving young adults in London, earning those infamous bonuses with which stock brokers are often associated. He's now a property developer and hotelier in Tuscany and CEO of NanoMagnetics, earning himself a place in the 'Who's Who'.
Despite 2 rubbish A levels and no degree, he used his initiative and made something of himself.
I've failed to take a leaf out of his book, which is why I consider a degree and hopefully a future place in GEP necessary.

TSR is very presumptuous and immature in thinking that qualifications are the be all and end all and often cramping the hope in many students who don't quite 'make it' in the snobby academic world.

Congrats to your dad...
Just awesome..
He literally slapped the academic perfectionists in the face....:biggrin:
Pandaboo
Despite the fact that the OP is aiming to make us grade failures feel better about ourselves and our futures, it has given an adverse effect on me. What I got from this was - unless I'm a genius, there is no chance of me getting into top universities (Cambridge or LSE) with the grades that I've got.

Not that I've failed any (yet), but if an average student as I am, is up against these A* students, I don't see myself having any chance.

But then again, I am probably the biggest worrier anyone has met!

Thats what they assess in the interview.... the style of thinking and thats what distinguishes a successful cambridge applicant and an applicant who was rejected after the interview,,,
Lilrascal19
Well done to you OP.
But according to your history, you was asking about a conditional offer you got for East London back in May and a question on an AQA Economics module... Soooooooo unless I'm in a different time zone, or someone else was/is using your name.....You haven't even received your A-Level's yet... Let alone started university.
I could be wrong.

Earlier OP said his sister (who just finished A-levels) uses his account and posts stuff.......
DopplerEffect
Earlier OP said his sister (who just finished A-levels) uses his account and posts stuff.......

Had this convo yesterday, but thank you.
SimonM
They still do (although that is for a minority of people at one college...)

Would you please be kind enough to expound on how this is

possible :smile: .If they were good enough to secure places at

Oxbridge,how on earth did they score EE ? Poor exam takers that have

exceptional ability,i would guess.

Thank you:smile:
DopplerEffect
Congrats to your dad...
Just awesome..
He literally slapped the academic perfectionists in the face....:biggrin:

:smile: Not bad going for a 16 year old Sainsbury's butcher.

This was a while ago though, but he assures me it still happens, more often than these people like to admit.
I know, right? Why bother?
Reply 213
never say

They got EE offers, almost certainly they didn't get EE for results.
never say

No. If you were predicted EE or gained EE A level grades then you would not even be interviewed, let alone being offered a place. EE grades are handed out to candidates who the universities are confident will do well, and would like to lift pressure of such candidates.

You didn't seriously think one would be accepted if they were candidates like OP, did you :confused:
pinstripe306
No. If you were predicted EE or gained EE A level grades then you would not even be interviewed, let alone being offered a place. EE grades are handed out to candidates who the universities are confident will do well, and would like to lift pressure of such candidates.

You didn't seriously think one would be accepted if they were candidates like OP, did you :confused:

Someone like a child prodigy or the like with exceptional ability ?
toxik_apple
:smile: Not bad going for a 16 year old Sainsbury's butcher.

This was a while ago though, but he assures me it still happens, more often than these people like to admit.

if you can do something for the world the world will do something for you....
it happens now-a-days too...
Reply 217
WOW why is this thread still going on? Get over it and get on with your lives!!

Latest

Trending

Trending